The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Looking at their squad today, its difficult to comprehend how they maintain a top six position. I'd look at cutting everyone but Szczesny, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Song, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey and van Persie and just start again, nobody coming off that bench is a game changer.

Really? Admittedly I've not seen much of Arsenal this season but Koscielny has always looked poor to me and Walcott can do nothing but run, might as well sign up Dwain Chambers. Mertesacker too seems to have mixed reviews.

I rate Mertesacker, although I'd rather see him line up alongside Vertonghen (Who Arsenal repeatedly keep on getting linked with) and then Koscielny kept as back up. I'd keep Walcott around as an impact player off the bench just because of his pace, he'll figure out how to kick a ball eventually.

Well, this game has been pretty much Liverpool dominating the possession but having pretty one dimensional means of attack and City getting lucky breaks and taking them.

It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated. The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.

Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match. The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one of the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season. This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter. There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion. The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.

...the fuck? I'm actually speechless

Could Liverpool own a worse PR team? Seriously?

Edited by The General

I'm split on the Lampard foul, because it could easily be given a red card but I would always hope an official would be intelligent about it and try to keep the integrity of the game. I'm sure Wolves fans are pissed, but personally I'm glad he stayed on.

Glad City got the points on 'pool, they're terribly average whenever I watch and don't seem to create anything that looks like it would lead to a goal. Even without Suarez to constantly hit the frame. Haven't seen the Yaya penalty replay besides a few shoddy angles during the game, but my first reaction was that it was a penalty. Didn't really agree with the red card for Barry but ehh, referees blah blah blah.

That game was awful. Our attack was awful looked so slow not looking for overlaps, just getting outmarked and passing sidewards, City weren't exactly worldbeaters either as the game was pretty much even. A bit of an iffy pen, Reina being a retard and shite marking of a corner let us down

Plus well Barry getting a bit of a daft sending off, Agger did go down a bit too easily. However saying that I think Kenny got the team wrong, we paid City too much respect with our lineup as the team we had in the 2nd half was much better than in the 1st. We had City pinned back in their half for most of the game, Adam was crap as was Kuyt.

Atleast we are still 3 points behind Chelsea and also City hadn't dropped a point at home, it's just disappointing that the scoreline suggests otherwise but we should have had a point out of that game, nothing more or less.

You don't score, you don't deserve a point. City felt threatening going forward a lot, LOT more than Liverpool did, and considering you were generally playing in City's half for a lot of the match, that's saying something. I hear talk of Kenny needing/wanting another striker, I'm not a Liverpool fan so I'm not really knowledgeable on their financial situation whatsoever, but do you really have another 35 million to squander?

I wouldn't say City were that much more threatening, only problem was we couldn't do anything once we got the ball near to the box because City were really good marking the space and pressuring. If you compare how us and City were in pressurising the other team, marking and keeping the space tight then they were the better team. However their goals were soft and the pen Skrtel didn't touch him. Barry's 2nd yellow was a bit soft but he had been treading thin ice for quite awhile in the game.

What was extremely frustrating was our play. At times it would just be Carroll in the box one man while someone will just whack a ball in and expect him to do something when he's got 4 defenders to contend with, Carroll had a decent game held the ball up well at times and knocked it down/controlled it. Adam and Kuyt though were awful and Downing if he had any confidence should have finished the chance he had in the first half. There is no point going backwards and sidewards it isn't threatening, plus fullbacks/wingers should be looking for the overlap at times inside of staying behind and passing inwards.

In terms of finance, our owners would probably spend money depending on the age of the player and if they can develop. We could do with a fourth striker anyway as I don't count Kuyt as a striker anymore he's more of a winger but we need a creative player as well as our best two creators are Suarez and Gerrard. But throwing money on new players ain't gonna fix the problems.

We are a work in progress the other two teams have caught up in recent years (Spurs and City) while we have dropped in quality. If you spoke to most sensible Liverpool fans our hopes is 4th place but it was and is always gonna be tough. We've played some really good football this season and created many chances, problem is finishing our chances, beating the teams lower then us and times just being sloppy. I can only think of two games we've looked really bad that being tonight and Spurs away.