The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin
Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has defended his right to criticise the club following their shock Champions League exit to Basel.

Keane said United "got what they deserved", prompting United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to hit back.

"It's a difficult job," said Ferguson when questioning Keane's own managerial record after the game.

Keane replied: "Without players like myself, maybe he wouldn't have such a good managerial record."

Keane, who works as a television pundit and has managed Ipswich Town and Sunderland, added in an interview with the Sunday Times: "Players who go down the punditry road, it's soon forgotten that we put bodies on the line for him [Ferguson]."

Ferguson and Keane's relationship broke down following the midfielder's departure from the club in November 2005.

The fall-out has escalated recently when Ferguson talked in his programme notes before last weekend's game against Wolves about criticism of the club coming "even from people we thought were perhaps on our side".

Keane lays the blame with Ferguson after revealing he was the subject of legal action by the club in April 2008 following comments he made to the media which were critical of United's handling of his exit.

"People say he stood by me in difficult times," the Irishman said. "But he didn't when I was 34, not when I was towards the end [of my career] and had a few differences with [former United assistant boss] Carlos Queiroz.

"All of a sudden then, 'Off you go, Roy, and here's the statement we've done."'

The 40-year-old was invited to November's banquet which celebrated Ferguson's 25 years at the club, however he chose not to attend.

"The way it [his exit from United] ended, the legal letter, I couldn't have gone and sat there like everything was great," he added.

"He [Ferguson] would come and we all stand up and clap, I couldn't have done that."

Though his relationship with his former manager is almost non-existent, Keane insists he only has good memories of his 12-and-half years at the club.

"I count my blessings to have played for Manchester United," he commented.

"All my family are United fans and I don't have any bitterness towards Man United, please let's make that clear."

I love Brad Friedel. We've kept five clean sheets in the league this year, the same as the whole of last season.

Two of the worst forwards in the leagye are Emile Heskey and Andy Carroll.

When I watch Andy Carroll it at least looks like it matters to him that he's not doing well.

Now, when I watched Newcastle on the weekend, Best looked like he flat-out did not give a shit. Maybe he just looks less interested next to Demba Ba, so it's an unfair comparison...but it's hard not to notice that someone up there appears to be a passenger, and it isn't Ba.

Guest flierthananostrich

Good to see Wayne getting 3 goals in two games, this time of year is when United kick into gear and hopefully it continues.

Was not impressed with Keane's comments in the media.

• Admin
Darren Bent has apologised after a fan posted a picture claiming the striker was out shopping while his team-mates were losing 2-0 to Liverpool.

The Aston Villa forward was missing because of injury but the photo was put on Twitter during the game on Sunday.

Later the England striker apologised on his Twitter account.

He said: "I hope to be back very soon. Watched the majority of he game on tv. Never knew popping out would cause an issue and for that I apologise."

Bent has scored five goals in 15 games for Villa this season but suffered a thigh injury in training.

After coming in for criticism from fans on Twitter, Bent wrote: "Nothing is more important to me than playing football, sadly injury meant I wasn't able to do that today. Gutted not to be involved......"

• Admin
Blackburn Rovers manager Steve Kean has revealed he held talks with the club's owners on Sunday and insists there was no suggestion his job was under threat.

When asked if owners Venky's gave him an ultimatum ahead of Tuesday's Premier League game against fellow strugglers Bolton, Kean said: "No, not at all.

"We spoke for 45 minutes and had a good conversation. We were looking forward to the transfer window opening."

Kean is under increasing pressure after Saturday's defeat by West Brom.

National newspaper reports on Monday linked former Blackburn striker Alan Shearer and ex-Portsmouth boss Avram Grant to the Rovers job. And the Lancashire Telegraph newspaper ran a front page comment calling for Kean to be sacked.

_57409529_ltel111219_other.jpg

But Kean insists it is business as usual ahead of Tuesday's game against Bolton at Ewood Park.

Blackburn are one place and one point ahead of their opponents, who are bottom of the Premier League, and Kean insists he is handling the pressure that comes with a relegation fight.

"You have to handle it, it's part of the job," he said. "When you win games and get pats on the back, you take that with a pinch of salt. When you lose one, you just have to prepare for the next one.

"I'm not trying to pretend I don't understand the magnitude of this game but, when I go into the changing room and get out on the training ground, players are behind what were trying to do.

"I'd ask the fans to stick with us for a game as important as this. When we scored [against West Brom] they were with us when the momentum changed. We had a late goal against us and we're all disappointed but, if they can stick with us, it can make a massive difference."

Bolton have lost their last five games and sit a point behind Blackburn at the foot of the table.

There have been suggestions that the losing manager on Tuesday will be sacked.

While Bolton boss Coyle is under no illusions over the importance of the game, he insisted: "It doesn't faze me.

"Have your opinion; call it any way you like. We all have jobs to do and as long as no-one gets personal about anyone at my club we will not have a problem about that.

"But what I do know is by going and winning points you can turn that opinion very quickly.

"It is fair to say it is a huge game. Because of the circumstances of both clubs there is no doubt this is the biggest game of the season - absolutely."

• Admin

Kean's biggest problem isn't his tactical ideal, it's the players he's putting in it. Fair enough, the injuries to the defence don't help, but if you want to play 4-2-3-1, he's doing it wrong.

GK - Robbo - no problem there

RB - Salgado (pushing on a bit now), then who? Bruno Ribeiro clearly isn't cut out for it, so we're playing a young CM there? Should have gotten a RB in the window Steve.

CB - Samba / Dann / Nelsen / Givet / Hanley - if not for all the injuries, this wouldn't be bad. Keep Givet away from LB though

LB - Givet - he's a CB, and too slow to be at LB. Olsson? Too attacking, should be a winger. So we need a proper LB too

CDM - N'Zonzi is fine here. However, the fact he keeps playing Pedersen & Dunn alongside him is a problem. Petrovic, who is sitting on the bench, is a far superior player in this position. Still short of cover after though, since Grella is made of glass.

LW - Hoilett is playing here when fit, but don't imagine he'll stick around too long. Olsson is good here though, should play more often

RW - Rochina is being shoved out here, when I think he's better suited behind the striker. Meanwhile, Vukcevic on the bench would be far better

CAM - Formica isn't doing too badly here, but I'd prefer Rochina to be honest. Dunn & Pedersen could slot in if needed

ST - Yakubu is fine, but needs more support from the 3 forward midfielders. Wish Goodwillie would get some more game time too. Roberts should always be last resort.

Ideally I'd go with:

GK: Robinson

RB: Lowe (until proper RB signed)

CB: Dann

CB: Samba

LB: Givet (until proper LB signed)

CDM: N'Zonzi

CDM: Petrovic

LW: Hoilett (until sold, then play Olsson here)

RW: Vukcevic

CAM: Rochina

ST: Yakubu

Subs: Bunn / Nelsen / Hanley / Pedersen / Formica / Goodwillie / Olsson (then Roberts once Hoilett gone)