The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Are you saying the tackle wasn't hard and lunging in nature rockbox?

It was hard, but there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing in the rules against, and nor should there be. I don't think it's a lunge either, like I said, he goes in with one foot planted on the ground and kicks the ball with the inside of his foot. He only leaves the ground once the impact of the tackle spins him round, but he can't help that.

The problem with the pictures Starvinho posted is that they're from quite a while after the tackle itself. It looks like he's gone in two footed, studs showing, off the ground and got nowhere near the ball. None of those things are true, he's gone in one footed, connected with the inside of his feet, in complete control of himself and got the ball which was rolling along the floor. He catches him on the follow through, but again there's nothing in the rules saying a player catching another on the follow through is a red card. In a natural kicking motion as some point your foot is going to move upwards away from the ground, but those two pictures look like his right foot is moving down towards the ground, which it isn't.

So if someone jumps for a header and wins it cleanly.. THEN elbows someone in the jaw on the way down, is it a foul?

Is the elbow deliberate?

It's a red card, doesn't matter if he wins the ball, he's off the ground, two feet up, leading with the studs.

No the tackle wasn't. Watch it again. One footed, leading with the inside of his foot, with the other planted in the ground.

(b) A caution for Unsporting Behaviour (if a tackle is made in a 'reckless' way):

© A sending-off (Serious Foul Play - even if the ball was touched first) if the tackle is done 'using excessive force', and in such a way that the ball is a secondary consideration, and inflicting injury to the opponent is the first.

Although in this case, it's a yellow (caution), because people here are suggesting the tackle was reckless. It quite clearly wasn't made 'in such a way that the ball is a secondary consideration, and inflicting injury to the opponent is the first.'

For me that would've been a fair tackle had he not then swung his trailing leg upwards with stoods showing. I've just seen it for the first time now as SSN went for a break and it's not as awful as you're all making out, but it is a red card.

For me that would've been a fair tackle had he not then swung his trailing leg upwards with stoods showing.

That's it for me too...how does a foot that during the tackle was used as your grounding foot all of a sudden make contact with, and bring down, a man leaping 2 feet into the air to avoid you?

• Admin

_57151710_suarez_pixelated.jpg

The Football Association is reviewing a hand gesture made by Liverpool striker Luis Suarez after their 1-0 defeat at Fulham on Monday.

Suarez, who had been called a cheat by the home fans over a penalty appeal, raised the middle finger of his left hand as he left the pitch.

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish said: "I have not seen the picture. If [it] is true then I've a decision to make."

Uruguay international Suarez is also facing an FA racism charge.

That stems from an incident during Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Manchester United in October that led to French defender Patrice Evra alleging that Suarez had racially abused him.

The FA is yet to receive the referee's report from the game, or any complaints about the incident involving Suarez.

Meanwhile, Dalglish said it was "scandalous" that Fulham fans chanted "cheat" at Suarez during his side's defeat at Craven Cottage.

Dalglish defended the striker after Fulham fans voiced displeasure in the belief Suarez had gone down too easily.

Of the taunts aimed at Suarez, Dalglish said: "I would like to see you write that in the paper because you would be in a bit of trouble as well.

"It is about time he got a wee bit of protection."

Suarez suffered a barrage of chants after one particular incident in which he went down following a challenge by Brede Hangeland.

The Liverpool manager is considering appealing against Jay Spearing's controversial second-half red card though.

Midfielder Spearing was sent off after fouling striker Moussa Dembele with his follow-through in a tackle, having initially won the ball.

Dalglish said: "Jay will be upset, but we will have a little look and see whether it is worthwhile appealing.

"I think you need to ask the referees what the interpretation is."

Spearing was shown a straight red card by referee Kevin Friend after 71 minutes, with the score at 0-0, before Clint Dempsey's late winner sealed victory for Fulham to move them 13th in the league.

Dalglish added: "It is frustrating because nobody tells us what the level of acceptance is. Jay had no other thought on his mind other than to win the ball and he did win it.

"I am not a referee. Sometimes they have been given, sometimes they haven't. As long as they are consistent, there is no problem."

A series of decisions went against Liverpool, with Charlie Adam denied a penalty after being brought down by Philippe Senderos and Luis Suarez having a strike disallowed for offside.

Discussing the game, Dalglish said: "It could have gone either way but I don't think we were going to get anything tonight, were we?

"The goal Luis Suarez scored that was ruled offside could have gone either way. Charlie Adam could have got a penalty when he was pulled down on the edge of the box.

"Tonight wasn't as well as we've been playing, but it was enough to have won the game. We never got the luck but we have just got to brush ourselves off and get on with it."

Suarez needs to stop doing stupid shit like this...if he gets suspended because of it then he's a fucking tit does the team no favours whatsoever especially if it means Andy Carroll will have to start more if Suarez is suspended <_<

With all the talk of him going down too easily and such Suarez is reminding me a bit of Drogba on his first season at Chelsea.

I just remembered that Suarez was once suspended for biting someone. :shifty: I kind of hope Kenny knocks that out of him.