The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

WELL, what a couple of fantastic games today! Glad I didn't go out of my way to watch Villa/United, seem to be an absolute shadow of themselves this season and bringing Heskey on just helped to ridicule themselves further, and I actually like Villa. Maybe the transfer window can help, any Villa fans know if you've got money left over from selling Young and Downing, or has it been squandered on good times by Alex McLeish?

Happy to see Chelsea getting the points, but Krul is a fucking hero. Been brilliant ever since he stepped up to first choice last year. Unlucky to get three scored in to them but Chelsea were very threatening throughout. But having seen Luiz's 'tackle' a few times, gotta agree with the consensus that it's a red card.

Oh Spurs, how you make me stress out in Europe during the week and then win me over with beautiful football at the weekend. Classy celebration from Bale and I'm glad he got a goal. I'm fully expecting a top 4 finish from Spurs this year (alongside City, United and Arsenal, them be my picks anyway) but after matches like that it makes you wonder if they're going to be title contenders.

But no, City are too good when they're on it. Good finish by Aguero from a very difficult position, tame free kick but I don't think I've ever seen anything great from Ruddy really. Balotelli's goal was sheer brilliance and I can't help loving this fellow more and more every single week, nice to see Johnson on the score sheet too. I just wish they could have transferred this form to Europe, but if they get kicked out of Europe, expect to see even more domination in the league. Not less.

Oh Blackburn, you bastards. Great work by Yakubu, I still hate you all though.

Edit: Yeah, honourable mention to Jaaskeleinan too, (if that's how you spell it), he was brilliant. I usually feel this way about Vorm every week, but he and Krul were good between the sticks today. Didn't get to see much from Lindegaard (ehh foreign names, fuck the spelling) unfortunately.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

There's no denying that Luiz should have had a red card, but how often have we seen referees bottle (non-violent) red cards in the opening few minutes of games? Especially in cup finals and the like where they have some weird implied duty towards 'protecting the quality of the game' or some such. If referees are supposed to be no-nonsense about these things then they really need to do a better job clarifying this for the officials.

Well, either that or he was badly-placed and thought Cech was closer to the ball than he was. But either way.

Just since its barely been mentioned yet, the lack of red for Luiz this weekend was aptly matched by Cahills ludicrous red. Scott Parker, heading towards the wing, five yards from the halfway line is not a goalscoring opportunity. There was a defender back, plenty of time for anyone to catch Parker, and even Cahill himself could've been back up and involved.

Hope to see Dean and Attwell refereeing league one next week.

• Admin
Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Heitinga, Baines, Coleman, Fellaini, Osman, Bilyaletdinov, Cahill, Vellios.

Subs: Mucha, Stracqualursi, Distin, Neville, Gueye, Barkley, Rodwell.

Stoke: Sorensen, Woodgate, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson, Shotton, Whelan, Whitehead, Etherington, Crouch, Walters.

Subs: Begovic, Jones, Fuller, Upson, Wilkinson, Jerome, Palacios.

Referee: Lee Mason (Lancashire)