nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

• Admin
Former Scotland international Graham Alexander has conceded that his playing career is over, but wants to forge a new career as a coach at Preston.

The 40-year-old has played more than 1,000 professional matches.

"Obviously my playing days are over and I just want to get on with the other side of my career," Alexander told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"I want to get on with the other side of my career, which is helping players to improve and helping to win games."

Alexander took temporary charge of the League One club earlier this season following Phil Brown's departure and has continued to work alongside new boss Graham Westley.

"I've had a taste of it for the last three or four months and I've enjoyed every single minute of it," he added.

"Hopefully that will continue at Preston. I don't have to go on record to say how much the club means to me."

The defender, who played exactly 400 games in an eight-year spell at Deepdale earlier in his career, returned to the club at the start of the season after being released by Burnley last summer..

He began his career with Scunthorpe and later moved on to Luton, but it was in the north west where he enjoyed most of his success as a player.

Under the management of David Moyes, Alexander was part of the Preston team that won promotion to the second tier in 2000.

He also played in two Championship play-off final defeats in 2001 and 2005, but could not end Preston's long exile from the top flight.

A move to neighbours Burnley followed in 2007 and he won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs in his second season with the club.

"Since I first came through the door at Preston [in 1999] my career has turned upside down," he added.

"I've had some fantastic times and then made the short trip across to Burnley, where I was part of a promotion-winning team and managed to play in the Premier League.

"It was such a thrill to come back to Preston last summer. It's sad that it's over, but I played my last game at Deepdale and scored again at Deepdale.

"I've had a fantastic time in the north west. It's been a major part of my career and my life."

As well as his success at club level, Alexander also won 40 caps for Scotland.

On Sunday, he received the PFA Merit award at the annual ceremony in London, in recognition of his services to the game.

Legend.

• Admin
Championship clubs making losses of more than £6m will be fined millions of pounds or put under a transfer embargo from the 2014-15 season.

Three of the 24 clubs voted against new regulations to limit investment from owners and curb total spending.

The changes will also prevent owners from funding their clubs through loans.

Football League chairman Greg Clarke said: "They will begin to lay the foundations for a league of financially self-sustaining football clubs."

Owners will be allowed to invest £6m next season, £5m the year after, then £3m in the 2014-15 season.

From 2015-16, clubs will be allowed to make a £2m operating loss, as well accept a £3m investment from an owner - allowing for a £5m overall loss.

Clubs promoted to the Premier League that fail to adhere to the amendments must pay a fair-play tax on their losses, ranging from one per cent on the first £100,000 to 100 per cent on anything over £10m.

Non-promoted clubs will not be punished financially for failing to adhere to the new rules, but instead placed under a transfer embargo.

QPR made a loss of £25.4m in their promotion season and would have been fined around £15m if the new regulations had been in place last year.

Clubs relegated to the Championship will not be subject to sanctions in their first season as long as they have met their financial obligations under Premier League regulations.

They would, however, have to pay the fair-play tax if they did not comply with the new regulations and got promoted.

The new regulations are based on Uefa's break-even model of Financial Fair Play and come after the Football League's research revealed the 72 clubs of the Championship, League One and League Two are on course to accumulate £2bn of debt.

And chairman Clarke is happy the trend is to be reversed after the successful vote on Wednesday morning.

He said: "On the pitch we have three exciting, competitive divisions with crowds at their highest levels for 50 years.

"But that success isn't necessarily being reflected on our clubs' balance sheets and we have to remedy that situation or face an uncertain future.

"I'd like to commend the Championship clubs for the courageous decision they have taken today.

"It means that for the first time, all 72 Football League clubs have agreed to take concerted action towards controlling their financial destiny."

Youth investment and accounting charges from past spending on players and stadium-building will not be included.

Leagues One and Two will continue to limit spending on wages to a proportion of turnover.

I can't see how punishing a team losing millions of pounds by fining them millions of pounds is a sound strategy...

What Split said and also it's mainly to prevent teams with rich owners being able to buy the leagues.

• Admin
If Saints draw and West Ham win by four or more goals, West Ham are promoted.

If Saints draw and West Ham win by three goals, it goes to goals scored (currently Southampton 81, West Ham 79).

If clubs finish level on points, goal difference and goals scored, it goes to head-to-head records between the two teams and Southampton would be promoted courtesy of a 1-0 win (in October) and 1-1 draw (in February) between the sides.

If Saints draw and West Ham win by one or two goals, Southampton are promoted.

Southampton/Coventry is on BBC One; West Ham/Hull is on Sky Sports.

• Admin

Southampton make two changes, with Guly Do Prado replacing the injured Richard Chaplow and Morgan Schneiderlin in for Jack Cork. Top scorer Rickie Lambert partners Billy Sharp up front. Adam Lallana is fit and plays. Coventry make two changes of their own: Jordan Willis and Carl Baker replace Richard Keogh and Clive Platt. For 17-year-old defender Willis this is his full first-team debut. He will be up against 31-goal striker Rickie Lambert.

• Admin

Carlton Cole has headed the Spammers into the lead. Not that it makes a difference as it stands.

Saints captain Dean Hammond goes off with a knock, and is replaced by Jack Cork - who has now played in every league match for Southampton this season. Coventry captain Gary McSheffrey has also gone off injured; replaced with an academy striker (sums up their season really)