nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

Glad Reading have been promoted. The fact that they have won 12 of their last 13 games (The other being a draw) is promotion form and they managed to hit that run of form at the perfect time.

Congrats to them. Interesting battle though considering if Bristol don't get more than 1 point and either Coventry or Pompey win both games then Bristol will go down. Squeeky bum time at the bottom of the Championship, really want Pompey to stay up though.

Reading lost to Peterborough about three weeks ago.

They've picked up 49 points of the last 54, which is ridiculous. I'm from Reading and Bedore the takeover in January there wasn't even talk of the playoffs with much hope, let alone potentially winning the Championship.

Yadda yadda Reading, yadda yadda West Ham, yadda yadda Championship. The big team bias in this thread is nothing short of shocking! League One and Two is where it's at. :shifty:

What about poor Carlisle United who look to have pulled themselves up from the play off run with Stevenage and Notts County with no win in four after two tough losses to champions Charlton - whose win sealed their promotion - and to Stevenage last night. With no striker because Lee Miller is injured I wouldn't be shocked to see Brentford finish above Carlisle either. That said this has to be one of the toughest League One's in a while? Charlton, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dons and Huddersfield had pretty much laid claim to the top five spots from the first day, and other than Huddersfield's seeming collapse they still all look set to occupy them spots. That leaves everyone battling for the last play off spot and with three games to go there are four teams separated by three points.

No disrespect to Adam's team, but I don't suspect Doncaster or Portsmouth will be as dominant in League One as these teams have been this year, especially as I assume there 95 loans will probably not be coming back for more. Shocking that despite the fact many of these players were culpable for the relegation, they can just desert the ship and let someone else pick up the mess - not that I assume they're gutted at El-Hadji Diouf not returning.

So League One should have a bit more to play for next season. If Coventry came down I would assume they would be the most likely to bounce straight back, Portsmouth's woes will continue with the lack of money but they're still always a bit of a tough opposition. Weird that only a few years ago they brought their Premier League players to Brunton Park and ran riot in a 3-1 win, now they'll be coming back with a completely different team and probably not even favourites, such is the problem with football when you build a team on invisible money. I suspect next season will be largely the same for Carlisle United, a bit of promise and pushing around the play offs but ultimately in 12 months time I'll be typing something similar to this. Oh and I doubt they'll have Lee Miller or Francois Zoko for much longer. And Jordan Cook will go back to Sunderland and I wouldn't be shocked if a lower Championship side doesn't take him on loan. So they will need to, once again, bring in some strikers.

Edited by IAceI

No disrespect to Adam's team, but I don't suspect Doncaster or Portsmouth will be as dominant in League One as these teams have been this year, especially as I assume there 95 loans will probably not be coming back for more. Shocking that despite the fact many of these players were culpable for the relegation, they can just desert the ship and let someone else pick up the mess - not that I assume they're gutted at El-Hadji Diouf not returning.

So League One should have a bit more to play for next season. If Coventry came down I would assume they would be the most likely to bounce straight back, Portsmouth's woes will continue with the lack of money but they're still always a bit of a tough opposition.

I agree, next season I expect it to be very open. Perhaps Huddersfield/Sheffield Wednesday/MK Dons may be capable of running away with it (I expect one to win this seasons play-offs so delete as applicable) but otherwise there's a lot of teams with potential to get up at the top. The year that we went up Carlisle were in the title race as long as anybody and could still finish 2nd on the final day. Southend made the play-offs. I'd expect strong challenges from the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth, maybe even Swindon and Crawley if they come up.

As for us left behind to pick up the mess - the big time charlies by and large ARE the mess, and they're all going or have already gone. The majority of us here are delighted to see the back of them, because they've all been mostly useless and have disrupted everything around the club. Diouf was a good player but it did not make up for his behaviour/attitude problems. The likes of Piquionne and Ilunga clearly did not care and were not good enough. It looks like a major overhaul this summer and an emphasis on youth next season, something which I am all for.

Oh, and Coventry are up shit creek without a paddle as well. They have dodgy owners and less than no money. If that remains the same I don't think they'll be going back up either.

Yeah Swindon have been sponsored by the Fifa games for the last few seasons.

Those Nike kits look typically bland and cheap, no offence. I think we're retaining the same kit for next year so at least I'm used to our latest monstrosity. Wish we'd stop wearing black shorts and socks, we're not bloody Sunderland.