nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

Guest mr. potato head

This is indeed a relief. BUT YOU'RE FROM CANADA!? WHY DO YOU CARE!?

Now if only we can get a 10 year contract for Jay Rod..

Edgar's from my hometown and his reaching Burnley was pretty much the impetus for me getting into the sport.

Fuck's sake Burnley.

YOU WATCH YOUR FILTHY MOUTH!

Just found this out the other day. Ten's of girls from my old school are now Burnley fans because they fancy Eddie Howe. Best looking football manager (my desktop version excluded)? I'll let you decide.

• Admin

Looking at that list. I realise that Westley probably would've been right up there as long serving managers, oh well.big derby game tonight with MK to keep us going with momentum as the new boss is due to be named (Colorado Rapids manager hotly tipped), come on the Boro!

This has happened. Good appointment I'd say.

• Admin
A south London MP is to ask the House of Commons to back a campaign for Milton Keynes Dons Football Club to drop the word "Dons" from its name.

The term was adopted after the original Dons, Wimbledon Football Cub, relocated to Milton Keynes in 2003.

Siobhain McDonagh, MP for Mitcham and Morden, said it was a symbol of how the club's identity was "stolen".

She said she would use the case as an example in a 30-minute Parliamentary debate about football governance.

"I want ministers to remember the case of Wimbledon when they look at how football should be governed," she said.

"It shouldn't be possible for clubs to just up sticks and leave the communities they are supported by."

Wimbledon FC relocated to Milton Keynes in 2003 following years of wrangling over whether they could find a suitable new home ground in south London.

The controversial decision angered Wimbledon supporters and other football fans.

"Wimbledon" was dropped from the club's name in 2004 and it became Milton Keynes Dons.

The club, which currently play in League One, the third tier of England's football league system, returned replica trophies of Wimbledon FC's honours to the London Borough of Merton in 2007.

Meanwhile, a group of Wimbledon supporters formed AFC Wimbledon which, since 2002, has risen to League Two.

Ms McDonagh said she would urge the government to ensure any changes to the rules about how clubs should be run, currently being considered by the football authorities, would guarantee that clubs cannot ignore the communities which support them.

She said she would back calls from the organisation Supporters' Direct for communities to be represented formally in the running of clubs as part of licence conditions.

Ms McDonagh, an AFC Wimbledon supporter, has tabled a Parliamentary motion asking MPs to support the Wimbledon Guardian's "Drop the Dons" campaign which states that this would "remove much of the stigma associated with that club".

She said that now AFC Wimbledon had reached the Football League, it was time for the club to take action to reclaim its identity.

"I also want the authorities to look at the running sore of Franchise FC stealing our name," she said, referring to Milton Keynes Dons.

"We want it recognised that the Dons are from Wimbledon and the new club should stake out its own identity and find a different way of representing its heritage in its name.

"It's hard for Milton Keynes too, people in football remember that they gained their club through identity theft so it would be good for Milton Keynes for the team to have its own identity."

Milton Keynes Dons FC declined to comment on the situation but MK Dons' fan and former Fizz fanzine editor, Franco Volpe, said he was "bemused" by the subject being brought up again.

"It's a non issue. As far as Milton Keynes Dons supporters are concerned we're not going to change our name," he said.

"The [FA] commission that allowed the move in the first place recommended that we kept the identity of the old Wimbledon and [club owner] Pete [Winkleman] did that when he called us the Milton Keynes Dons.

"The Dons is our identity, it's where we came from and it's wrong to just take the club and decide that you don't want to be involved with what's happened in the past."