nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

Giving away a 2-0 lead is become the expectation with Ipswich at the moment. I think there needs to be major consideration about Jewell now. He was given a fair bit of money to build this squad and things just aren't working.

Speaking of 2 goal leads, our youth team beat yours 3-1 last night. Although now that you're a Spurs fan you probably don't mind too much :P.

Whose Billy off to Adam? Sunderland were linked with him but I don't think there's any need for us to sign him to be honest. Talented player but I wonder if he's a Premier League player, I think he's more of a very good Championship striker so just interested to hear where he might be off to?

Sucks that Stevenage won, I have nothing against him but at the minute it's Carlisle, Stevenage and Brentford (and everyone else) fighting for one play off spot. The top 5 will finish with Huddersfield, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Charlton and MK Dons in some order you'd imagine, leaving a lot of teams to fight for one play off spot - so Carlisle need all the help they can get. Match was called off away at MK Dons today, frozen pitch.

It was Leicester but tonight's rumour mill suggests he may have turned them down. Fulham were the only club that have seriously been linked recently, as well as previously Southampton.

I've heard nothing about Sunderland, but I do believe given a fair crack at it that Billy would be good enough for the Premiership. He is a quality striker of the highest order.

We haven't really ever replaced Jones, Gyan or Bent properly. Bendtner's only on loan, and Sessegnon is linked away so we're pretty much constantly linked with strikers: Heskey, Zamora, Cole, Sharp, Rhodes etc. So it's not really surprising. We'll be linked with every striker under the sun I imagine, suppose it's just testament to how well Sharp is playing that he's being linked alongside names like Heskey and Cole. :shifty:

We haven't really ever replaced Jones, Gyan or Bent properly. Bendtner's only on loan, and Sessegnon is linked away so we're pretty much constantly linked with strikers: Heskey, Zamora, Cole, Sharp, Rhodes etc. So it's not really surprising. We'll be linked with every striker under the sun I imagine, suppose it's just testament to how well Sharp is playing that he's being linked alongside names like Heskey and Cole. :shifty:

Fancy having Billy Paynter? You can have him for free.

Who needs a fucking manager? Also got as part of the compensation package that no players from Stevenage are allowed to go to Preston. That was gutsy yesterday and well worth the trip up, really impressed with the team. Worried about the choices of manager we're sniffing around too Paul Buckle would be an unpopular choice and I'd rather never have to try and cheer for a team involving Martin Keown thank you very much. Give Robbo the job full time. Aren't enough player managers these days and him and Mousinho really had them fired up and did a good job there.

Look forward to the visit to Blackburn in the league next year :shifty:

I don't see the point in that kind of move to be honest, well, in a sense I do but I think it almost seems a little ill-advised. You can understand that Preston are perceived as a bigger club, with more resources and more chance of getting into the Championship but you'd think the lure of a team that have come from the Conference not too long ago, knocking on the door of the play-offs to get into the Championship would be sufficient to keep the manager there. It's almost like taking a short cut to the top, maybe those couple of years to bring Stevenage up to an established League One side just seemed like too long to wait for Westley and he'd rather skip them.

It's always nasty to see the nucleus of the backroom staff ripped out of a club, especially when Stevenage fans will have a right to feel slightly aggrieved given their performances this season and the ongoing lacklustre performances of Preston for the past couple of seasons at least. It's almost the lure of that name, in every league you see in the world, is just too great to turn down. For example a Premier League manager may leave an overachieving Norwich to take on Aston Villa (as an example) even if Norwich are performing better, simply because what Aston Villa once were. Or a player in an overachieving Levante squad would up sticks to go to an under-performing Sevilla side or whatever. Now we're seeing it in League One. Gary Madine left Carlisle so he could go to Sheffield Wednesday, obviously a much bigger club than Carlisle, but only doing slightly better - and his return was marred with a 3-2 defeat and a red card for himself.

I don't necessarily think Westley will succeed at Preston even if he takes the backroom staff and implements a similar style at Preston. Why not stick at a winning and successful system at Stevenage that has seen the team turn around and has you working wonders with a club that surely didn't expect anything of the sort just five years ago? Prestige? A new challenge? ... Money? I wonder.

• Like 1

Giving away a 2-0 lead is become the expectation with Ipswich at the moment. I think there needs to be major consideration about Jewell now. He was given a fair bit of money to build this squad and things just aren't working.

Speaking of 2 goal leads, our youth team beat yours 3-1 last night. Although now that you're a Spurs fan you probably don't mind too much :P.

That's a bit stranger, 'cos our youth team is usually quite good. A few people I used to play against/went to school with and are in the youth team. Hahah, I think I explained it badly. I'm an Ipswich supporter, but Spurs are my Premiership team. That's allowed, right? :shifty:

That's a bit stranger, 'cos our youth team is usually quite good. A few people I used to play against/went to school with and are in the youth team. Hahah, I think I explained it badly. I'm an Ipswich supporter, but Spurs are my Premiership team. That's allowed, right? :shifty:

Fuck off traitor.

Fuck off traitor.

Wait, do you even like football? :P