nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

I'm somewhat with Matt on this one. It's just banter. If it keeps going like this then we'll all be too afraid to talk to other humans.

I'm not condoning the Saints fan(s) on that issue, just the debate about chanting at Brighton fans. We Donny fans get called 'pikeys' by local rivals, you don't see us all crying about it. Barnsley even adopted "Dingle Bells" as an ironic chant for themselves. Welsh sides have done the same with the sheepshaggers thing etc. etc.

So where do you stop it? Can you not call Cardiff/Swansea fans sheep shaggers? Or not call Liverpool fans theives? Barnsley fans inbreds? Millwall fans cunts? I'm sorry, it's not an anti-homosexual chant, it's an anti-Brighton chant. If he was singling someone out or abusing a player, fair enough that's not acceptable. Mocking Brighton's stereotyped gay community is just part of football fandom.

But fuck it, lets make all football fans sit down, clap politely and eat prawn sandwiches.

I've managed to go to football games for twenty years without ever participating in or starting an offensive chant against any stereotype whether it be race, sexuality or other bullshit stereotypes.

Now this bit may be a shock to you; I don't sit down all game, I don't just clap politely and I don't eat prawn sandwiches.

Edited by Pepsi Twist

So where do you stop it? Can you not call Cardiff/Swansea fans sheep shaggers? Or not call Liverpool fans theives? Barnsley fans inbreds? Millwall fans cunts? I'm sorry, it's not an anti-homosexual chant, it's an anti-Brighton chant. If he was singling someone out or abusing a player, fair enough that's not acceptable. Mocking Brighton's stereotyped gay community is just part of football fandom.

But fuck it, lets make all football fans sit down, clap politely and eat prawn sandwiches.

I've managed to go to football games for twenty years without ever participating in or starting an offensive chant against any stereotype whether it be race, sexuality or other bullshit stereotypes.

Now this bit may be a shock to you; I don't sit down all game, I don't just clap politely and I don't eat prawn sandwiches.

Congratulations. I'm sure you felt very proud when writing that.

lul ace.

I think stereotypes are just that though, there as a comedic 'attack' on a faux-pas perception. We get called dingles here in Burnley, and we call Blackburn Rovers 'bastards' frequently. Yet I'm sure the fans whose parents weren't married when they were born don't get upset about it, just like I don't cry that I get compared to Yorkshire-men.

I don't know the situation that occurred, and if he singled someone out who was gay and mocked him for it, sure I can see why he got done for it. But generally, these situations all seem to get blown up and a witch hunt begins based on the type of 'discrimination'. if you remove any 'minority banter' then what does that leave us with. Conversations about the weather? Or would discussing a low cloud cover be discriminatory to the Sun?

(Yes I realise my argument is batshit insane, but that's the whole point.)

• Like 1

Well done, want a sticker?

Sure, you want a sticker for condoning homophobia, racism and bullying? Because it's all one and the same.

• Like 1

The Gallowgate! (The Gallowgate!)

Is always full! (Is always full!)

The Gallowgate is always full

It's full of a smorgosboard of people,

Some of whom may - or may not be - puffs, dicks and wankers!

The Gallowgate is always full!

PC chanting for the PC fan! :)

EDIT: Probably an improvement to be honest, it's a shit chant to start with and I have no idea why we even bother with it. :shifty:

Edited by IAceI

Sure, you want a sticker for condoning homophobia, racism and bullying? Because it's all one and the same.

No it's not because you'd have to be an utter fucking tool to believe that everyone from Brighton is gay, everyone from Liverpool is a jobless thief, everyone from Barnsley/Norwich is inbred or everyone from Wales fucks sheep. Stop being such a pansy.

• Like 3

• Admin
Notts County striker Lee Hughes has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault after an incident involving a woman at a hotel in south London, the BBC understands.

The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to a hotel in Purley Way, Croydon, at 23:00 GMT on Saturday.

A 35-year-old man, believed to be Mr Hughes, was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and taken into custody.

He was bailed until a date in late January, pending further inquiries.

In a statement, Notts County said: "Notts County can confirm that the club are aware of an alleged incident involving one of our players at the team's hotel on Saturday, 3 December.

"As this is a police matter, the club will be making no further comment on this incident."

The team was staying at the hotel on Saturday night, prior to their match against Sutton United on Sunday evening.

Back in the slammer you go!

Accrington Stanley Football Club bosses say they are trying to find potential investors who have a "soft spot" for the club - 200 miles away in London.

Club officials went down to the capital on Sunday to hand out more than 2,000 flyers to promote the shares they have for sale.

The club is hoping to raise £1m by offering fans the chance to own a share in the club for £100 each.

Since shares went on sale in October, 300 of the 10,000 have been sold.

Club chief executive Rob Heys said they had already found many people in London with a soft spot for Stanley.

He said: "It's amazing how many people have a link, either they've got a relative that played at Accrington, or they're an older person who came to watch us at Peel Park at some point in the past.

"The shares are bringing in some money, but it's also increasing the number of people who are involved.

"Everyone who buys a share is entitled to vote at the AGM, so there's that ownership of the club, and we want as many people to have that experience as possible."

Mr Heys said he now hoped to visit other cities to promote the club.

No it's not because you'd have to be an utter fucking tool to believe that everyone from Brighton is gay, everyone from Liverpool is a jobless thief, everyone from Barnsley/Norwich is inbred or everyone from Wales fucks sheep. Stop being such a pansy.

The point you're overlooking is that a lot of the fans on the terraces are 'utter fucking tools'. Here's a point though, not everyone in Brighton is gay but a good amount of people are. So yes, your little homophobic chants wont offend most fans but they DO offend those they are truly aimed at. So I'll stop being a 'pansy' when you stop being a ignorant, conceited fool and actually consider the effect these kind of chants can have on everybody concerned and not just the majority they aren't actually referencing.

• Like 2

I'm always happy to call Twist a idiot :shifty: , but he's entirely right. Homophobic chants have no place in football.

I think it really comes down to context though, we don't actually know what the fella who got sent down for got sent down for, but as Matt says some of the light hearted chants thrown at Brighton barely even constitute homophobia. Is the 'wheeeeeeey!' floppy hand gesture when someone skies a shot homophobic? Is the 'hello sailor' gum on your shoe trick homophobic? Or are they just examples of comedy stereotyping to wind up your oppositions supporters? I hesitate to use the word banter, as its pretty much the fallback for most racists, and is barely a step down from 'I'm not racist, but...', but sometimes it can just be banter.

It is a hard line to draw though, as a Newcastle fan we've been accused of Islamophobia by Mido (we're not, he just looks like Richard Reid), while Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink laughed at being called a fat Eddie Murphy (because he is). Monkey noises at Peter Reid is a very tricky one...

Accrington Stanley Football Club bosses say they are trying to find potential investors who have a "soft spot" for the club - 200 miles away in London.

Club chief executive Rob Heys said they had already found many people in London with a soft spot for Stanley.

He said: "It's amazing how many people have a link, either they've got a relative that played at Accrington, or they're an older person who came to watch us at Peel Park at some point in the past.

Or they saw the milk advert?

Ricardo Vaz Te scored a couple of absolute beauts last night for Barnsley against Crystal Palace. Check them out if you can.

Good week for him! Everyone raved about Craig Davies' winner for Barnsley at Peterborough on Saturday but Vaz Te's was the best goal they scored in the game.