nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

Brilliant. So if they draw each other in the cup we can just take the win?

Carlisle seemed to do quite well against Leeds back in the day, although Leeds did (luckily) get the play off swing when it mattered I supposed. Howson you knob.

Doncaster at least made sure you didn't (undeservedly) go up that year. :shifty:

Quoting and +1ing just for the reminder of that day :pervert:

I know we're not getting into it but I still don't believe that Leeds would have won their first however many games it was that season were it not for the 15 point deduction. All just conjecture though.

I knew the moment Dougie Freedman scored that late first leg consolation that they'd squeeze past Carlisle as well. Good job they did in the end!

Yeah, possibly but we also wouldn't have been forced to wait so long before signing anyone, so we'd have had more of a squad (and probably a better one) and probably not burnt out post-Christmas as badly as we did.

You scored like a 97th minute goal, I call that lucky. Although if it was my team it would be passion and dedication. :D

---

Figured I'd hoy up another EPPP article, this time by comedian Jim Campbell from The Football Ramble:

http://www.thefootballramble.com/blog/entry/the-eppp-took-my-baby-away

Doesn't really say anything new but a few more nice quotes in there;

"What’s more obvious than ever is that the Premier League do not give an airborne copulation about the welfare of the game away from their own cash cow."

"It practically legitimises the idea that one club is more important than another because they’re in a higher division. It laughs at the idea of a level playing field."

It's such an unfair system but just shows how much control one group have over a nations game. :-\

• Admin

Finally, some good news.

Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell has confirmed that the club have completed a deal with a new investor.

Mitchell has said that long-time directors Steve Sly and ex-chairman Jeff Mostyn have sold their combined 50% stake in the League One club.

According to local media reports, Russian businessman Maxim Demin is believed to be the new investor.

"My new partner has a 50% share in the club and I am looking forward to working with them," said Mitchell.

Demin made his money in petrochemicals and owns a property - which was constructed by Mitchell's building firm - worth several million pounds in nearby Sandbanks.

Mitchell, who became chairman in the summer of 2009, turned down an offer to sell the club to Russian businessmen Vladimir Antonov and Roman Dubov in July 2010, in a deal unconnected to the latest investment.

On Monday, Cherries boss Lee Bradbury said he would welcome any investment at the club after having to sell a number of players since reaching the play-off semi-finals last season.

"If there are changes going on then it would affect me so I'm kept in the loop," Bradbury told BBC Radio Solent.

"If this is going to go ahead then it is exciting times for the club."

Mitchell has said he will announce more details of the deal next week but BBC Radio Solent understands that plans have been lodged to the council for the development of land around the club's stadium.

"I can confirm, that after lengthy negotiations, contracts have been exchanged for the purchase of Steve Sly and Jeff Mostyn's shares," he added in a statement.

"This is the start of a new era for the club and we are very excited about it.

"I would like to than Steve and Jeff for their cooperation during the negotiations.

"We are very pleased to announce this deal as it marks the beginning of a new and exciting chapter for AFC Bournemouth. It will give us a sound and solid base to build from and progress on and off the field."

And on the Watford front, both Craig Beattie and Nyron Nosworthy are good loan signings. Experience was needed.

• Admin
Tributes have been paid to Doncaster striker Billy Sharp after he played and scored against Middlesbrough three days after the death of his newborn son.

Sharp led a minute's applause before Tuesday's 3-1 defeat by Middlesbrough, in which he scored the opening goal.

Tributes have been made on social networking site Twitter, including one from ex-Ipswich player Matt Holland.

"Thoughts are with Billy Sharp and his wife tonight after losing 2 day old son. Very brave to play. #RIP"

The 25-year-old striker missed Doncaster's draw against Coventry last weekend and was not expected to play against Middlesbrough after the death of his son Louie.

But after being handed the captain's armband, and scoring in the 14th minute for Dean Saunders' side, Sharp lifted up his Doncaster shirt to reveal a T-shirt that read: "That's for you, son."

The action of revealing a message on a T-shirt is usually followed by a yellow card, so referee Darren Deadman was praised by the crowd for not applying the letter of the law on this occasion

Rovers' subsequent defeat was almost forgotten as fans and players took to Twitter and Facebook to pay tribute to the Sheffield-born player and his wife.

Rio Ferdinand, former Aston Villa midfielder Ian Taylor and former England striker Stan Collymore were among thousands of well-wishers who saluted the bravery of Sharp for taking to the field after such a tragic event.

Before kick-off, Sharp requested a message be read to supporters ahead of the minute's applause.

The message read: "This is a minute's applause to celebrate the short life of Billy and Jade's son Louie Jacob Sharp.

"Born 27th October, taken by the angels on the 29th. Sleep tight son."

Rovers manager Dean Saunders led the tributes to Sharp after the game, saying: "He rung me and asked if he could play - he wanted to play. He wanted to score a goal for his son and his family and he was ready to go. When he said that to me I couldn't really refuse.

"You won't score a better goal than that - it's incredible. I thought 'the story's already been written. He's going to end up with a hat-trick here and we're going to win 3-0'.

"It didn't turn out that way but I'm really proud that he wanted to play and it tells you a bit about him as a man. There's not many people who would have done that."

Middlesbrough counterpart Tony Mowbray added: "Taking the professionalism out of it, I'm delighted for the boy that he's scored such a fantastic goal on such an occasion for him.

"It's amazing to think for anyone who's had children the emotional drain that must have been with him - I couldn't put it into words.

"For him to score a wonder-goal, your headlines should be there really - a goal from heaven."

How utterly tragic. Thoughts go out to him. And a good showing from the referee (with a horrendous name, considering), for not booking Sharp.

And another red card for us, sounded a bit harsh but I am listening to Leeds commentary so it is biased.

Also Paul Rachubka is shite, he's pretty much been responsible for every goal we've conceded since Lonergan got injured.

Edit: For fuck's sake, he's cocked up again. 3 errors leading to 3 goals in 30 minutes. Alex Cairns is warming up now, I guess we're going to get a keeper in on loan before the weekend.