House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Spoiler

Was Ulf ever in the show before that episode? Or just show up for this episode? Either way, it was fucking stupid how he steps on and destroys a dragon egg, and Silverwing just be like "nah it's okay you killed one of my babies, I'll choose you to be my new dragonrider!

Much like almost literally everything in this season, it's just way too much important shit happening at rapid pace with very little build up to it. Dragons letting people ride them, and them doing so with absolutely no training at all, seems to smack in the face of literally everything HotD has shown us so far with dragons. Silliness.

7 minutes ago, Szumi said:
  Hide contents

Was Ulf ever in the show before that episode?

Spoiler

Yeah, multiple times this season. Not as memorably as Hugh, I think more often he's just kind of a character that's present while something else goes on. The main appearance was a few episodes ago where he was with that same set of characters in the tavern and they were basically establishing his whole deal as a guy who's been trading on his clamed relations to the Targaryens to get free drinks for years.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure Westeros' Next Top Dragon Rider has the best format. They really shouldn't be eliminating so many contestants in the very first episode.

Spoiler

Jace will be pleased when next week she's like "don't worry, all those bastards you were worried about, all but 2 of them are dead."

1 hour ago, Szumi said:
  Hide contents

Was Ulf ever in the show before that episode? Or just show up for this episode? Either way, it was fucking stupid how he steps on and destroys a dragon egg, and Silverwing just be like "nah it's okay you killed one of my babies, I'll choose you to be my new dragonrider!

Much like almost literally everything in this season, it's just way too much important shit happening at rapid pace with very little build up to it. Dragons letting people ride them, and them doing so with absolutely no training at all, seems to smack in the face of literally everything HotD has shown us so far with dragons. Silliness.

Spoiler

Did he kill the egg or did he just sort of break the mud around where one of the eggs was? I only watched it last night.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

From what I've read elsewhere (I'm at work and haven't gone back to rewatch the scene, which is of course shrouded in darkness because it's still this franchise), Ulf basically steps in muck surrounding the egg and doesn't actually crush the egg itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Hide contents

From what I've read elsewhere (I'm at work and haven't gone back to rewatch the scene, which is of course shrouded in darkness because it's still this franchise), Ulf basically steps in muck surrounding the egg and doesn't actually crush the egg itself.

Spoiler

Yeah they zoomed in very closely on the egg, fully intact. I thought at first he stepped on and broke the egg too. Obviously him then not getting immediately burnt to a crisp was another tell that he didn't crush the egg.

I have to say that I did think that Ulf was a big ol' grifter and just Hugh was a character of importance. Basically "one of these two people matter" but, nope, turns out they both matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:
  Hide contents

Yeah they zoomed in very closely on the egg, fully intact. I thought at first he stepped on and broke the egg too. Obviously him then not getting immediately burnt to a crisp was another tell that he didn't crush the egg.

I have to say that I did think that Ulf was a big ol' grifter and just Hugh was a character of importance. Basically "one of these two people matter" but, nope, turns out they both matter.

Spoiler

Ulf feels extremely British sitcom coded to me. He feels like they combined Tim and David from The Office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

I really liked seeing Bloodraven in Daemon's vision. Having the Three-Eyed Crow/Raven just be an old tree wizard in Game of Thrones seemed like a waste of a really interesting character, but this was a nice little nod to the source material.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I liked this episode and I basically liked this season but it is very funny that they introduce a hilarious character I want to see more of and go "and now all these characters are marching to war!!!!" and that's the end for years.

• Like 1

Agreed with Liam

Spoiler

Very little about that felt like a season finale. It felt like the penultimate episode to set up the season finale, not a new season two years from now. 

I definitely going a lot of the Tyland/Lohar stuff to make no sense for a season finale and it all just kind of seemed out of nowhere, although it makes sense for Tyland to go to Pentos/Essos for help, especially since they can sneak attack the Velaryon fleet. Curious where he sailed from to escape the blockade! 

I know that the show runners are convinced that fans loved the Rhaenyra/Alicent dynamic the most in season 1 so therefore we must want more of it in season 2. But holy fuck was that scene ridiculously long and boring. Alicent as a character has long passed her usefulness. There's no way that the army still in King's Landing would listen to the Dowager Queen - or even Queen Helaena - and thrown down their weapons to let the Blacks take control.

Also, how the F did Alicent go from King's Landing to Dragonstone when a crucial subplot all season is there's a blockade! Plus, S1 Alicent's whole thing was if Rhaenyra became Queen, her children would very possibly be killed. It was a big reason why she always wanted Aegon to be King. Now she's fine with Aegon (and Aemond) being killed.

Agreed that it was a let down, but would have been a great episode if it wasn't the finale.

Spoiler

I was pretty shocked that Daemon bent the knee. It was a wild moment because I didn't think that even a vision like that could stop his lust for power. Great moment. 

The vision was also really cool, but you can definitely tell they ran out of budget for the season cause that white walker looked like trash. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LL! said:

Agreed that it was a let down, but would have been a great episode if it wasn't the finale.

Hide contents

I was pretty shocked that Daemon bent the knee. It was a wild moment because I didn't think that even a vision like that could stop his lust for power. Great moment. 

The vision was also really cool, but you can definitely tell they ran out of budget for the season cause that white walker looked like trash. 

Spoiler

100% agree on the budget point. The CGI for the boats was particularly dreadful.