House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Calm down, this isn't a dragon waving contest!

That will come in the next four episodes!

I'm intrigued to see where they go with this now.

Edited as I saw the teaser for the next episode and we didn't pivot as far as I thought we did.

Just now, FLiam said:

Anyone know how many seasons there are supposed to be? Feels like we’re really into the meat of the story right now and wonder how many more they’ll go for.

Four is what they said originally. I see it was renewed for Season 3 already but the showrunner (I believe it was him) said they had planned to tell the story in 4 seasons.

• Like 2

Just now, Ruki said:

Wait so....

Hide contents

Is the king dead??

Spoiler

No, Aegon 2 is just barely alive but basically gonna be melted into his armor at this point. He doesn't actually die until war's end, so figure Season 4

• Like 1

So...was Aemond..

Spoiler

Potentially about to give a killing blow to his brother until Criston showed up?
Also, how does Criston fail upwards from this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lint said:

So...was Aemond..

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think that was definitely what they were playing at. They want us to at least think that's what was going to happen and it makes sense considering the amount Aemond was tortured by Aegon throughout their childhood. He had absolutely no hesitation burning him in the air as collateral damage. Had there been nobody around, I think he definitely would have.

And I assume with Aegon now burned, it'll be a struggle between Aemond/Criston wanting war and Allicent trying to somehow calm the situation but failing because she's a fucking menace.

43 minutes ago, Forky said:
  Hide contents

I think that was definitely what they were playing at. They want us to at least think that's what was going to happen and it makes sense considering the amount Aemond was tortured by Aegon throughout their childhood. He had absolutely no hesitation burning him in the air as collateral damage. Had there been nobody around, I think he definitely would have.

And I assume with Aegon now burned, it'll be a struggle between Aemond/Criston wanting war and Allicent trying to somehow calm the situation but failing because she's a fucking menace.

Spoiler

They said in the post-credits stuff that the events basically confirmed Aegon's fears about Aemond.

Just now, Schlitzbrille said:
  Hide contents

Daemon going down on a vision of his mom 😳

Spoiler

kisspng-crusader-kings-ii-sons-of-abraham-crusader-kings-5b383be535df06.3856174215304120052207.jpg

• Haha 1

God would this Daemon plotline just end?  Its so fucking dull and every episode grinds to a halt when it cuts to him

• Like 4

On 14/07/2024 at 23:18, Lint said:

God would this Daemon plotline just end?  Its so fucking dull and every episode grinds to a halt when it cuts to him

You could honestly say that about most of the main characters from Season 1. The show desperately needs to be giving some depth and actual character to the next generation. Jace, Baela, Helaena, even Aemond, Rhaena too. 

Will use spoilers for thoughts, but if anyone replies to it, please don't bring up any spoilers from the books. I haven't read it so I don't know what happens in HOTD.

Spoiler

I would have said Aegon too, but he's pretty much done as a character now judging from the last two episodes. Which is disappointing because holy fuck did this show do nothing with a character that had so much potential! He's thrust into being the King even though he doesn't want it. They then pretty much immediately stopped that being a theme, and instead he gets upset no one listens to him as King. Guy who loves and cares about the small folk, but it's barely explored outside of maybe two scenes. Worse of all, his son is brutally butchered inside the Red Keep, in front of his wife...and there's NOT EVEN A SCENE OF THEM TALKING ABOUT IT TOGETHER, GRIEVING TOGETHER, NOTHING! It's unbelievably bad storytelling.

Helaena by all accounts is a fascinating character. But it pretty much seems like the show runners have settled on "just do a random cryptic line to tell the future, fans will love it because they think it's great there's a character on the spectrum in the show". Ridiculously underdeveloped character.

The entire season has pretty much been Rhaenyra having a council meeting and her repeating every time "I'm the heir, Viserys gave us peace, I must be peaceful. But also, I want to fight, why won't you let me!?" and the council just kind of saying she's a woman and can't lead. Every episode, rinse, repeat. Alicent keeps getting a lot of screen time, but her character kind of served her purpose already. She got Aegon on the throne, she helped start the civil war. I think there's good strings to pull at her/Cole shacking up, but even then, they just made it happen out of thin air. It just feels like instead of having her and Cole either fuck or quarrel, they could be giving Aemond some extra depth and personality.

And yeah, this Daemon stuff is AWFUL. It's so boring and repetitive, Alys Rivers is so far this ridiculously on the nose, no subtly, one dimensional boredom of a character. Deamon pretty much has suffered no consequences for Blood & Cheese, and there's been no follow up at all to the notion that he's never really loved Rhaenyra, and just married her so he could be King. Instead we get weird dreams of him fucking his mom because apparently now all of a sudden a character motive of Daemon is "my mommy didn't love me". It's just not good at all.

Jace and Baela have pretty much served absolutely zero purpose so far in the story, and there's so much potential and stories waiting to be told with them, both individually and together.

Even Rhaenys was so horribly underdeveloped and wasted. I thought there was going to be great tension told between her and Daemon because of how much he blames her for not finishing the war before it ever started at The Dragonpit Coronation, and her feeling like it wasn't her war/wasn't her war to start. Really just feels like they rushed her death.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rhaenyra tonight, basically

Spoiler

421.gif

• Haha 4