The Pop Music Thread

StevenRichardsRules

Second that. Man, Edge Of Glory is pretty bloody awesome. I'm not even much of a fan of GaGa, but I've got hooked on this song. Gave the album a try and it's pretty good. Not a classic like I've seen some crazy people try to say, but it's actually got some bloody good songs on it. EOG and Born This Way are two I'll likely remember for a long time, both great throwback songs, and better than anything she's done to date if you ask me.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Oh, the album isn't a classic by any stretch of the word. The first two thirds of it though - bar maybe Marry The Night - are incredible though. I genuinely don't know what my favourite song is off the album because there are about 8-9 songs that I really like. It's just let down by the three towards the end (Highway Unicorn, Heavy Metal Lover and Electric Chapel) because they don't go anywhere. They're like, the definition of filler, which was a problem with the first album.

It's probably as strong as The Fame Monster was, but it's not better than it, which I think a few people expected it to be. She's still got an amazingly high standard to reach though, of course. I've also found myself randomly screeching "HOOOOOKER!" in the middle of the house...

Saw the Lights video on at Sunderland Bowling Alley yesterday. Took pleasure in telling my friends that she's a dirty little filthy girl etc. and we all would, all ower and that shit.

Also I really like With You by Gyptian but I absolutely adore the Shy FX remix even more. Still both are quite catchy.

New Owl City is pretty good. More of the same really. And speaking of Lights, her guest appearance on there is a nice surprise but a little pointless to be honest, she only does some half arsed backing vocals. One of the best tracks on it though. Apparently "Galaxies" is about the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, is so that's amazing, it's like the happiest song ever. First song's probably the best though;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5THIroYxY

Edited by YI

Who in the blue hell are Parades? It's total bargain basement Saturdays ripoff, and The Saturdays are pretty lowest common denominator to begin with. I'm pretty sure the one in the middle who leads the first verse is actually in The Saturdays. :shifty:

One thing they have going for them is that they make it really easy to rank them in order: glasses -> Indiana Jones Hat -> one with the stupid bejewelled rag on her head -> half-caste headband -> bargain basement Pixie Lott.

The song's pretty much utterly atrocious. Although the 2nd chorus section is pretty catchy, but not enough to redeem the rest of the song.

Edited by YI

And the new Saturdays song is atrocious as well. Never, never, never, never have them sing "gangster" ever, seriously. The lyrics read like a Lonely Island song, it sounds like a 2nd rate dance song that might just hope to scrape the top 20 5-years ago and the video of a Uniting Nations song (although, not really complaining about that). Massive drop-off from "Higher".

New Calvin Harris is quality though;

Edited by YI

I believe Parade were formed to try and combat the Saturdays, then when they failed they sent out Wonderland. Who also failed. Not that the Saturdays have ever done particularly well, I'm still pretty sure they've never had a number one.

So "E.T" by Katy Perry. Any reason why it's like every T.A.T.U song rolled into one? Only nowhere near as good. :( At least she hasn't released "Peacock" yet. God I detest that song.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I want some new, proper summer style dance tunes, and I don't mean this current horrendous trend of 'dirty club synths in a stadium setting' wannabe techno style shit (anyone remember when Black Eyed Peas wrote actual songs? Seriously, people may have bitched about the dubstep trend from a little while back, but this is a million times worse). There's a few artists that normally do this stuff good floating about with new songs mainstream wise, but they're all a bit lackluster. "San Francisco" by Cascada is just "California Gurls" by Katy Perry, but really shit. The new Inna song isn't really working for me, and despite loving Gaudino and Kelly Rowland, his new song isn't working for me either.

Any ideas? I'm basically just listening to;

and

on repeat with a few other's thrown in. I want something new.

Is rather good though. Even if all the shots of Far East Movement walking behind him in desert landscapes and the car scenes makes it seem like some sort of Yakuza kidnap video. Not getting high hopes though. First album was a ridiculous disappointment, but this is definitely up there with "3 Little Words" and "Made Her Smile".

New Example is pretty good too. Although the 'instrumental hook' sections are so bad, and really detract from a good song (the bits around 0:53 and 2:21, god I hate them).

New In Flames has just leaked too.

Edited by YI

So what's the general consensus on the Nicola Roberts solo single? I feel it's basically a easier to digest, less trashy, more poppy version of Uffie (delivery around 1:10 is so Uffie). I really liked it at first, but it's starting to grate a bit, mostly because I feel if it was scored a little bit thinner it would be better, getting rid of the bass bit in the pre-chorus and the 'beep-beep' bits from the background of the verse and chorus and the dodgy sound effects throughout. Still it's different, I like it.

Definitely prefer it to anything Cheryl did, and don't even get me started on Nadine Coyle.

Edited by YI