2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Just realized that in all my years of watching baseball (which admittedly, is probably nothing compared to most you guys), this is the first time I've watched a Red Sox - Yankees game in the regular season, and what a time to start watching, man Pedroia is awesome.

Its baseball, teams make ridiculous early season panic moves when they're supposed to cruise to the division title. I don't think its a good decision, but I have a hard time expecting anything outside of a rash decision given the expectations for the team. This isn't a Tampa Bay situation where an anemic lineup and shaky pitching is not going to fall on Joe Maddon's shoulders. Win a game this weekend it is all fine for Terry Francona, lose them all and everyone in New England enters panic mode.

No, this is a Boston situation where they have the benefit of Theo Epstein as GM who doesn't make stupid reactionary moves.

Phil Hughes is tossing batting practice to the Sox so I wouldn't be worried about getting swept. If Boston sweeps the Yankees will we see people calling for Girardi's head? :shifty:

John Lackey will not be out sucked!

I'm a little behind and catching up DVR but I love whoever it was in the crowd that was yelling at Jeter after he popped up a bunt in the first.

"I WANT $20 MILLION" and "$20 MILLION TO POP UP A BUNT"

Yankees need to be worried about Hughes. He hasn't looked good at all. Wasn't all that great in the 2nd half last year too after the Yankees skipped his turn in the rotation.

Manny Ramirez announces he's retiring, apparently after being notified about a possible drug suspension by the MLB.

They just mentioned it during the Sox/Yankees game, waiting for a full article to pop up.

That's a shame. Manny was one of the more entertaining guys in the game for years, and one of the best all around hitters in my lifetime. If he wasn't another of the 'roid monkeys, he'd be a lock first ballot HOFer.

Agreed. Arguably the most feared right handed hitter of his generation. Him in his prime was a must watch.

Shame Hughes shit the bed again. Colon has looked pretty good since taking over.

Couldn't give a hoot about Manny the Uncanny.

Typical Yankees fan!

Not saying you're one of them but counting down to weeks of Yankees fan calling WFAN about Red Sox championships being tainted despite Yankees having Pettite, Clemens, Jeff Nelson, Grimsley, Jose Canseco, Glenallen Hill, David Justice, Chuck Knoblauch having played for championshio teams in Bronx.

Also, Kevin Brown, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield played for them.

.....and I'm sure I'm still missing guys.

Edited by sahyder1

A-Rod of course.

Can't believe I left him out.

I remember there being others but don't remember the Mitchell Report guys off the top of the head.

Manny signed for the minimum with Tampa right? I know it was a ridiculously low amount that him and Damon signed for .

Edited by sahyder1

Karim Garcia.

This is a bit humorous about Manny, honestly its one of his more entertaining moments. He was pretty important to the Rays lineup this year too, so he's really leaving them high and dry. Not like this is the franchise that can quickly replace the hole he's leaving.

Pretty sure they were already trying to plug the .059 hole in the lineup he was creating.

Gary Sheffield has played for every team in the majors [/sarcasm] and tying him to the Yankees is like saying the Indians and Rangers employ pitchers that cheat because of Gaylord Perry.

Gary Sheffield has played for every team in the majors [/sarcasm] and tying him to the Yankees is like saying the Indians and Rangers employ pitchers that cheat because of Gaylord Perry.

How does that change the fact that he played for the Yankees? Heck, Steinbrenner overruled Cashman and personally signed him. Cashman had wanted Guerrero.

Going by the numbers, I'd say the Pirates.

That reminds of an article I read a couple of years ago ripping Mark Cuban's wife because Cuban had said something about him wanting to buy them because he was a fan but his wife wouldn't let him.

Is there a team in MLB that didn't have a dozen or more steroid users at one point? Dumb argument.

None who's fan base I have to deal with on a daily bases. Naiwf and other New York/New Jersey folks here can vouch for this. When the whole Bonds witch hunt was going on the two local sports radio stations here for weeks and weeks did nothing but talk about how A-Rod was going to be this savior while completely glossing over guys like Clemens who had played here.

No other team built a dynasty out of so many guys who ended up linked to PEDs. I listed 8 of those off the top of my head. I probably missed a few.

Is there another team that collectively has had that many players be linked to PEDs? If you're really expecting WFAN or 1050 ESPN to not be getting calls about tainted Red Sox titles you clearly don't know the Yankees fan base.

The whole Yankees/Sox rivalry is overdone. For years Yankees fans have defended their own juicers while saying that guys like Ortiz, Ramirez, Bonds, Sosa, Palmeiro and others have to be dirty. The fact is that the majority of the sluggers of the last 15 years are tainted, and very few players get the benefit of the doubt. I personally just ignore the fans who turn a blind eye to the cheaters on their own team because I hate homers in all sports. If you can acknowledge that Bonds was doing things his age dictates he couldn't as his shoulders and skull grew wider, you should also see that Boston dumped Clemens at 33 because he was "done". Then his head grew, he was throwing harder than ever and he went on to win another 4 Cy Youngs and 162 more games. Call a spade a spade, or STFU.

I have done my best to tune out the overwhelming masses of idiots who swear Pettitte only did HGH once, that the whole Mitchell report was a Red Sox fueled witch hunt, that Giambi was clean (his testimony in the Bonds trial pretty much killed that myth) and that A-Rod didn't understand Katie Couric's question. If more Yankees fans were like Meacon I might not hate that franchise as much as I do. But sadly, the fans in this area make Chase look like a newbie when it comes to root root rooting for the home team.