2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

CC certainly was robbed here, he's definitely a top 5 AL starter. But, I guess since the Yankees have so many representatives they, and so much talent, not everybody can make it. However, I'd rather see CC at the game this year than Jeter, and I think most would agree.

This Mets season is likely going to end with no Beltran and no Reyes, but K-Rod getting his $17.5 million option guaranteed because Collins simply refuses to let someone else try to finish off a game by getting a 3 run save. That will be the ultimate FU to the fans. We couldn't afford the guy(s) you wanted to keep, but we're going to pay nearly $20 million for a closer on a .500 team!

5 relievers is just stupid. The starters are going to come in as relievers anyway, so why not just pick the best pitchers? Romero and Sabbathia were both All-Stars this year. None of those relievers put up as much value in their 40 or so innings as each of those two put up in 3 times as much.

Buster Olney mentioned the other day that it is quiet possible that Sabathia asked to not be included. He wasn't going to pitch anyways in the game and this way he doesn't have to go to Arizona and appear at the game. Wanting the time off makes sense to me if you weren't going to play anyways.

But all the purists say that baseball needs human error because it builds character or some such bullshit. Watching a replay to get the call right is not going to bring about the robot revolution. The Armando Galarraga imperfectly called game still annoys me because it had a "happy ending" where Galarraga ended up forgiving one of the worst calls ever made instead of getting his just due.

Outside of balls and strikes, I fully support the use of replay in baseball.

Same. If we start replaying balls and strikes, that could really hold up the game. But when it comes to the blown perfect game, or that play at the plate, why not? Take three minutes to get the call right.

An argument against balls and strikes being up for challenges is that every umpire has his own strikezone. You kind of take that away if you're just going to go back against his decision by using a digital strikezone or whatever it is they'd use. May as well just use that for every pitch if that's the case. I still believe a home plate umpire should have final say over something or else they're obsolete.

Legitimate question since I don't watch tennis, how long does it usually take them to do line reviews? Wouldn't fair/foul calls be identical? That should be automatic shouldn't it?

Runs and outs the system I like is that somebody is watching replays, completely unaware of the call on the field. Any close call, he gets 30 seconds. If he can conclusively say safe or out, that call stands regardless of the call on the field. If he can't conclusively say within 30 seconds, call on the field stands. That would have saved the Galarraga game and the Jays game without slowing the pace of the game.

I still believe a home plate umpire should have final say over something or else they're obsolete.

If there is a way to create a quick reliable automatic digital strikezone and a quick reliable way to get safe/out calls right then umpires should be obsolete.

Edited by pizzamonkey

I still believe a home plate umpire should have final say over something or else they're obsolete.

If there is a way to create a quick reliable automatic digital strikezone and a quick reliable way to get safe/out calls right then umpires should be obsolete.

And I, truth be told, have no problem with that. Just seems like a waste of time/space/money to have it both ways.

Legitimate question since I don't watch tennis, how long does it usually take them to do line reviews? Wouldn't fair/foul calls be identical? That should be automatic shouldn't it?

Rarely will it take more than 30 seconds from the time the challenge is made until the call is shown on the big screen, and generally speaking the fans are into the whole process. I don't think I've seen more than 1 or 2 arguments out of thousands of calls after the review is done, and at most 1 or 2 instances of the cameras not gathering the proper info to show a review. But baseball loves to be the most archaic of sports for some reason.

My biggest gripe with arguing balls and strikes is that there have 2 cases of "three ball walks" this year and one of them decided a game. If umps can't count to 4, then maybe they shouldn't work.

Cricket has been using some form of instant replay for 18 years now. Technology used there ended up being used by tennis later on to judge line calls. There is absolutely no reason why everything but balls and strikes shouldn't be reviewed. There are like 15 cameras at every game. They have practically every possible angle covered. Give each team two challenges. If they get the challenge right they keep it. I don't like the NFL system where you have to get both of the first two right in order to get a 3rd challenge.