2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

So Jeter, Mo and Reyes are all out of the AS game. A-Rod's status is also up in the air. Finally, Russell Martin and his .220 BA should pretend he's hurt just to avoid having to see that number in a graphic that allegedly highlights the best and/or most popular players in the league.

Angels call up top prospect Mike Trout. I can't confirm or deny that I am just mentioning this just so I could point out that Trout will be playing in the same outfield where Salmon once played. :shifty:

Edited by sahyder1
  • Like 4

but won't both have to be afraid of the Ducks in town?

And Trout...geez..hope the Mariners don't catch sight of him..

• Like 4

Bob Costas AND Al Michaels are doing the Giants/Mets game for MLB Network tonight. Between MLB Network, SNY and Comcast Sportsnet there is a "booth swap tonight".

Costas and Michaels did first 3 innings for MLB Network. They are doing the 4th and 5th innings on SNY (while Gary Cohen and Ron Darling head over to MLB Network booth). In the 6th and 7th innings Costas and Michaels will be in Giants booth and their guys will be in the MLB Network booth. I don't know why they are doing it but I absolutely love Bob Costas (and don't have a problem with Al Michaels the way a lot of people seem to) so this is pretty cool.

but won't both have to be afraid of the Ducks in town?

And Trout...geez..hope the Mariners don't catch sight of him..

Good one.

Edited by sahyder1

Bruce Bochy selects Andre Ethier to be Victorino's replacement on the ASG roster, citing that he was the runner up in the final vote. I guess Andrew McCutchen doesn't actually exist or anything.

There are already 79 All Stars, and that doesn't factor in that replacements still need to be named for Jose Reyes, Chipper Jones, and the 5 starters going tomorrow (one of the replacements will be CC Sabathia, who himself will need to be replaced). So right now it's looking like there will be at LEAST 87 All Stars, maybe even more if somebody gets hurt/sick/whatever within the next 2 days. Insanity.

Bruce Bochy selects Andre Ethier to be Victorino's replacement on the ASG roster, citing that he was the runner up in the final vote. I guess Andrew McCutchen doesn't actually exist or anything.

There are already 79 All Stars, and that doesn't factor in that replacements still need to be named for Jose Reyes, Chipper Jones, and the 5 starters going tomorrow (one of the replacements will be CC Sabathia, who himself will need to be replaced). So right now it's looking like there will be at LEAST 87 All Stars, maybe even more if somebody gets hurt/sick/whatever within the next 2 days. Insanity.

Sabathia will not be named a replacement.

Hey Kevin Gregg, if you want to be a tough guy go ahead and actually drill someone. Going way inside twice in the same AB and then running your mouth is pretty stupid.

Edited by sahyder1

Hey Kevin Gregg, if you want to be a tough guy go ahead and actually drill someone. Going way inside twice in the same AB and then running your mouth is pretty stupid.

He actually tried to hit him 3 times and failed, which makes me wonder why the home plate ump waited so long to warn him. As a Papi fan I'm glad that haymaker didn't connect because it would have probably added a week to his suspension, but at the same time it would have been nice to see him knock Gregg out. I hate pitchers who act like they own home plate and then run when they piss someone off.

He actually tried to hit him 3 times and failed, which makes me wonder why the home plate ump waited so long to warn him. As a Papi fan I'm glad that haymaker didn't connect because it would have probably added a week to his suspension, but at the same time it would have been nice to see him knock Gregg out. I hate pitchers who act like they own home plate and then run when they piss someone off.

Were all 3 in this AB or another game? If it was the same AB then yeah, it makes him look even worse. Gregg has a good track record vs Ortiz (I think Ortiz is 1-8 in his career) but I understand the need to drill Ortiz because of how badly the O's have been getting pounded but like I said before if you're going to do it go ahead and do it. Don't miss multiple times and then claim that you were just trying to pitch inside. Gregg even made a comment about Red Sox payroll and how that didn't mean the O's didn't have a right to pitch inside. What an idiot. People aren't calling you a moron because you pitched inside.....they are calling you one because of how you acted. It has nothing to do with the payroll.

All 3 pitches prior to the pop up that led to the "fight" in that at bat were inside. The first one was borderline. The second one made it clear he was trying to hit him. The third one nearly started a fight and the 4th pitch actually got them tossed because Gregg overreacted. Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_lqlLVlF4

Edited by naiwf

Sabathia will not be named a replacement.

Pretty sure the rule is that for pitchers who were voted into the team by players (as was the case with many of Sunday's starters from the AL), their replacement must be the next-highest vote getter, which is Sabathia in this case. I think Washington even said he left Sabathia off the team because he knew he'd make it anyway, hence why he brought CJ Wilson instead as Wilson wasn't high enough on the players' voting list to make it as a replacement.

Trying to figure out who the replacements will be. Reyes was the fans' choice so I THINK Bochy can take whoever he wants. I'd hope he gives the nod to the hometown Stephen Drew...though he might decide 2 shortstops is enough and take Pujols or something. Chipper was the players' choice so he needs to be replaced by the next on the list - I'd guess Aramis Ramirez but I don't know. Kevin Correia will take one of the pitcher spots due to the "next on the list" rule. Not sure on the other pitching opening. If Bochy can take anybody I'd guess he goes with either the hometown Ian Kennedy or Craig Kimbrel.

For the AL, whether CC is named a replacement or not, there still need to be 3 spots filled and I think all of the pitchers in question were voted in. Dunno what the rest of the list looks like. Pineda? Ogando?

I'm not watching the game but I'm reading on Twitter that the fan who caught the ball told YES that he doesn't want cash for the ball. That is actually pretty cool. He was willing to give it back to Jeter.

Yankees are giving him pretty good seats for the rest of the season along with autographed gear and a meeting with Jeter.

Edited by sahyder1

Where can I go for the next week to escape from this Jeter madness? This is just getting silly now. Yankees beat writers are tweeting quote from Jay-Z of all people talkign about Jeter being in the top tier of Yankees.

Has this clown heard of Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle? That puts him at best on the 3rd tier of Yankees. Heck, he's not even the best Yankee over the course of his own career.

Where can I go for the next week to escape from this Jeter madness? This is just getting silly now. Yankees beat writers are tweeting quote from Jay-Z of all people talkign about Jeter being in the top tier of Yankees.

Has this clown heard of Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle? That puts him at best on the 3rd tier of Yankees. Heck, he's not even the best Yankee over the course of his own career.

Avoid ESPN, sports talk radio and the local news. Some douchebag on ESPN's radio station here was trying to argue that Jeter is more valuable than Rivera AND one of the 10 greatest players in the history of baseball. I'd argue that he's never been one of the 10 greatest players in the game at any point in his career, but I'm anti-Jeter.

Yeah, I love Jeter and all. I think he's a great sportsman. I'd put him in the Top 25. Of All-Time Yankees. He's not a Top 10 Yankee and he sure as hell ain't a Top 10 of All Time. I don't want to take away what Jeter has done; 3000 hits is amazing, but people need to come down from the little cloud they're on.