Formula One 2011

Lineker

Can't they just stop it for 20 odd minutes like they did that time in Malaysia and wait for it to calm down again? Now it looks like they're driving a river, mind in the past this would have been seen as a challenge haha

Is the safety car out just because it's raining? This is pathetic.

Is the safety car out just because it's raining? This is pathetic.

Thats stupid health and safty for ya.

FUCK DRIVER SAFETY! LETS LET THEM DRIVE FAST IN DANGEROUS CONDITIONS!

I know Sam redeemed himself, but you guys belly aching when the drivers are putting their lives on the line really annoys me sometimes, Perez should act as a reminder to you at how dangerous F1 still is.

Every call by the stewards has been spot on today. I think its because of Emerson Fittipaldi <_<.

• Like 1

The first call was wrong, it shouldn't have started under the safety car and they brought it out again a bit too early but it's the right call to stop now. Hamilton didn't help things by driving his car to a stupid place that meant it stayed out for quite some time longer than it needed to following his incident.

Every call barring starting the race with a safety car has been spot on you mean Rich (Y)

Conditions are bloody nuts. Gutted Hamilton is out, though not really surprised in these conditions.

While the fan in me grimaced at the safety car start... I think with the limited data on the new Pirelli wet tyres made it a very tough call, and the nature of the stewards at the minute is to err on the side of caution, so I felt it wasn't a wrong move or a right move just a very tough decision that had to be made, and while it is exciting to see aaccidents, crashes, etc... in F1, we shouldn't be putting driver health and safety behind viewer excitement in terms of importance.

di Resta probably makes the best point in terms of visibility; if they couldn't see then they really couldn't expect them to start a race like that. You've got precedent in terms of Adelaide, a very similar circuit, and the grand prix that they had to red flag there.

ETA: As it stands, this is the best ever result for a Japanese driver.

di Resta probably makes the best point in terms of visibility; if they couldn't see then they really couldn't expect them to start a race like that. You've got precedent in terms of Adelaide, a very similar circuit, and the grand prix that they had to red flag there.

Not only that, but that race was over 20 years ago and the aerodynamic devices on the cars now means even more spray gets thrown in to the air, and the cars are designed to be so aerodynamically efficient that they really suffer going at the low speeds that the rain would dictate

They don't seem to be wearing down incredibly quickly, but it has been wet all the way through so far so we haven't had a drying track to massively affect them.

Also 25 minutes to go before we start again, at least :/

That's the rain not stopping for 25 minutes, at least. Another 10 minutes then for the safety car restart warning, but they're implying that they're going to keep on waiting until they can go racing. Which is brave, I suppose, but I'm sure they reckoned that the storm was going to go on from 2pm-6pm. In Malaysia in 2009, it was because it was too late in the day.