Formula One 2011

Lineker

So with Kimi signed to Lotus Renault and Sutil seemingly on his way to Williams, it's only really Toro Rosso who seem to be without their line up. I reckon it'll probably end up like this:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa

Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher

Lotus Renault: Vitaly Petrov and Kimi Raikkonen

Force India: Paul Di Resta and Nico Hulkenburg

Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez

Toro Rosso: ???/???

Williams: Pastor Maldonado and Adrian Sutil

Caterham: Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli

Hispania: Pedro De La Rosa and Vitantonio Liuzzi

Virgin: Timo Glock and Charles Pic

• Admin
McLaren is in no rush to sort out a fresh contract extension with Lewis Hamilton, despite suggestions the former world champion is ready to commit his future to the Woking-based outfit.

Hamilton's current deal with McLaren runs out at the end of next season, and there has been speculation he could then be in the frame for a switch to Red Bull Racing ever since he held secret talks with its team principal Christian Horner at the Canadian Grand Prix.

But even though McLaren has already tied down Jenson Button's long-term future, it appears that a decision on Hamilton's plight will now wait until the 2012 campaign is under way.

When asked by AUTOSPORT about the Hamilton contract situation going forward, Whitmarsh said: "We will see. Lewis and ourselves are in a really good place, and he is in a good place. He loves the team, we know him well, so we are not putting any timeframe on it.

"We will see what happens in the course of the next year. There is plenty of time."

Hamilton was widely quoted by the British media on Tuesday as saying that he was happy to wait too - so both parties would have a better idea of how much they have recovered from the trials of this season.

"I am in no rush," he said. "I don't think there is any real pressure about my commitment to the team so there is no rush to have to do anything. Just focus on the next stage.

"Martin [Whitmarsh, McLaren's team principal] has spoken to me about re-signing already. I know it is there. At some stage, when we have time, we will sit down and discuss it. Again, the most important thing is to focus on the season ahead.

"I feel positive about it. I feel fortunate to be in the position I am in. I still feel very, very fortunate about the opportunities I have ahead of me and I feel fortunate I have still got a year left on my contract."

Red Bull Racing is in a better position to maintain its dominance of Formula 1 going forward than when it came into its back-to-back title-winning campaigns.

That is the view of Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner, who thinks that the challenge of keeping his outfit at the front of the grid in 2012 is made easier because of the progress it has made in the last 12 months.

"We know our rivals will not stand still, but what makes this title and retaining the title so special is that the calibre of opponents we are up against is so high," explained Horner.

"I think in all areas we have been the stronger team in 2011 than we were in 2010, and with continuity I am convinced we can still improve. The team is hugely motivated and, of course, although we don't know what the other teams are doing, there is reasonable continuity in the regulations.

"But nothing is assured. We will keep our heads down, keep working hard and hopefully turn up with a competitive RB8 in Melbourne in spring next year."

Horner is well aware that the manner of Red Bull Racing's strong 2011 will make its rivals even more determined to make big leaps forward in pace with their own cars next year - but he thinks his outfit is well placed to move forward too.

"I think we have defended the title better than we won it," he said. "The team has evolved and there are all the areas that you don't see behind the scenes.

"Reliability wise, even with the issues we had we still got the car to the end in Brazil. And bar a puncture or a tyre issue in Abu Dhabi, we have had complete reliability this year, which is a phenomenal achievement.

"To have scored 650 points in the Constructors' Championship is an incredible achievement, so hopefully we can build on what we have achieved and apply it into next year."

Although continuity in the regulations, and the fact that Adrian Newey has had more time to work on next year's car than he did this one, could pay dividends for Red Bull Racing, Horner insists the outfit is not taking anything for granted.

"I think obviously there are different challenges to next year. The exhaust layout is significant differently, we have pushed up until the chequered flag here in Brazil, and there are lessons that we have learned today that will apply even to next year's car.

"As usual Adrian is never early with his designs and that is exactly the same situation we are in now. But I am sure we will come out of the blocks well in 2012."

Former grand prix driver Jean Alesi believes the Lotus Renault team will get a boost from the arrival of Kimi Raikkonen.

The 2007 world champion has signed a two-year deal with the team and will return to grand prix action in 2012 after leaving the sport at the end of the 2009 season.

Alesi believes the arrival of Raikkonen is great news for Renault, which will race under the Lotus name next year.

"It's fantastic news," said Alesi, now working as an ambassador for Group Lotus. "Kimi has more natural speed than just about anyone who has ever raced a Grand Prix car, and if he's coming back it's because he wants to do it, he misses F1, and he believes he can do well.

"He has had a short break, which was a little bit forced by Ferrari. I think he was fed up with the system and wanted to take time out, which I can totally understand. But now he's coming back, with Lotus, so it's really exciting.

Alesi expects Raikkonen to be able to get the maximum out of next year's car despite his absence from Formula 1.

He added: "The great thing with Kimi is he extracts the maximum from a quick car. When the car was good at McLaren and Ferrari he was always winning. LRGP will expect him to extract the maximum from the Lotus as well."

The Frenchman reckons that Raikkonen's natural speed will be a "very valuable" to help the team move forward.

"F1 teams need a driver who will consistently set laptimes that are 100 per cent on the edge," he said. "That is what a driver of Kimi's caliber can do, to dance on the edge and never fall off. From that, the engineers get a baseline.

"They understand the true speed of their car and can make changes accordingly. It eradicates any doubt. I expect Kimi will be a very valuable tool indeed. But I don't expect a lot of talking outside the car! I'm sure he hasn't changed a bit."

Renault has no doubts that Kimi Raikkonen is fully fired up for his Formula 1 return, and will be able to deliver at his best straight away.

Although the manner of Raikkonen's exit from F1 after a disappointing 2009 campaign has left some questioning his motivation, Renault team principal Eric Boullier is convinced that the Finn is ready to prove his doubters wrong.

"Kimi is very motivated and determined to come back, so he convinced us," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"You can feel it, and discuss it. Also, there are some people around him who confirmed he is very motivated. We don't need to speak much about the motivation. We know he wants to be back."

Raikkonen is due to make his first official visit to Renault's Enstone factory later this week, as the team begins proper preparations for the 2007 champion's F1 comeback.

Boullier believes that Raikkonen's presence at the outfit will be a major boost as it bids to recover from a disappointing season.

"If Kimi is coming back to F1 after two years of not racing in F1, it is because he is a world champion and everyone knows about his speed," said Boullier.

"It is very good news for the team and shows it has big ambitions for the future. An F1 world champion obviously makes a difference and I think his expectation and level of commitment will be at the level of a high class driver, so I am very excited and very happy to work with him."

He added: "We clearly have this season behind us and we look forward to racing next season, and definitely we will make some differences over the course of the next three months.

"Genii are backing us very strongly. They want Lotus to be a top team and our aim is to fight and be on the podium. We have some very exciting announcements coming and that will be key to the future."

Heikki Kovalainen says he is not interested in leaving Team Lotus despite speculation having linked the Finn with a seat at the Renault team.

Kovalainen joined Lotus from McLaren at the start of the 2010 season and has a contract with the team for next year too.

His strong performances this year, however, have triggered rumours that he may be targeted by other teams.

But Kovalainen insists Lotus is the best place for him at the moment, and that he would only leave if he was offered a drive by one of the top teams.

"I really have to be fair with Tony [Fernandes, team boss], and last year I agreed for two more years because I could see a year in this team would not be enough," Kovalainen told AUTOSPORT in an interview.

"so I am already signed for next year and to be honest it would need to be a really top seat before I would even mention it to Tony.

"And if there was a seat available at a very top team then I am sure Tony would say to me 'go for it'. But somewhere in the middle, I would not want to look at that. Our team can make a step forward next season, and I am quite glad to be part of it.

"I feel I am in a good position, I have a good relationship with the team because I have been here since the beginning, so at the moment I have not had any contacts with anyone and it would need to be a serious contact. After next year, who knows.

"We need to see where we are going and I hope we make the step forward and we can do it - and at the moment there is no better place for me here, the support is great. With these performances I feel I have been able to take my position in the team and not just because I am good friends with Tony, but actually being able to perform but then who knows."

Kovalainen left McLaren after two difficult seasons as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate, and the Finn concedes he was lacking confidence during that period.

He said moving to Lotus was like a fresh start for him, and claims the decision has paid off.

"To be honest whatever talk it is in the paddock it is much more positive, so that is a good thing," he said. "I think this whole thing for my career has slowly turned around again, after Renault and McLaren, things were not working and it was clear I was not able to get the results/performances that people were expecting.

"I realised it myself, I realised it should not be like this, I have done much better before. I didn't have confidence, I lost the confidence totally and that is why I felt I needed to go back to the starting point, to start building it, and the confidence is good and at the same time, everything has turned into positive.

"For me the paddock is a happy place to be."

He added: "I feel the performances have been good. I have made a lot of changes since McLaren/Renault days, I could feel it is not working. I felt that I was not performing at the level I should be, and I wasn't feeling comfortable here, the whole paddock felt not easy for me.

"I changed many, many things and was then rebuilding my concepts. Now I think I am on the right track, it is working really well. I am much more comfortable in the paddock, the performances are now at a level that they need to be in F1 if you want to stay here, so I am glad I have been able to turn it around at the right direction.

"I think I went to the right direction, I had to come back to starting point, trying another route. I think the performances are really good and now I need to show it in the results."

Kovalainen said he has been pleased with the progress made by Lotus, which made its debut at the start of last year.

But the Finn is adamant that both his team and himself have to take a significant step forward in 2012.

"It is actually going exactly like Tony was telling me a few years ago," Kovalainen added. "When I was first with Mike [Gascoyne], and the guys, the factory was still empty and there was not much there, the concept I had was convincing and it looked realistic and we have been able to stick to it quite well.

"It wasn't a concept that in two years we will be winning races. It was clearly step by step and we have been able to stick to that very well.

"Last year we were a young team, this year we were still that but next year we are an established team and we need to step up to another level and as a driver. I feel that I am ready for any kind of challenge but I still need to improve it. I look forward to that, and I am comfortable here in the team, that is the main thing, everyone is very motivated."

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh believes Formula 1 must do all it can to "take America by storm" despite doubts about the Austin Grand Prix.

Formula 1 is scheduled to return to the United States next year, but doubts surround plans to build a grand prix circuit in Austin, Texas, with organisers having admitted they are willing to delay the debut until 2013.

Bernie Ecclestone has also struck a deal with New Jersey to join the calendar from the 2013 season.

Whitmarsh is still hopeful Austin can go ahead, because he insists it is vital for Formula 1 to succeed in North America.

"I think we need to make a success of North America," said Whitmarsh. "I hope, and I don't honestly know, I hope it is negotiation and posturing and only Bernie knows what is going on there.

"Bernie I hope, who is meeting them in the next few days, I hope they can come to an accommodation. America is the land of the automobile, you have NASCAR in the south, but F1 should really take America by storm.

"We should be committing to it, we should have a five-year programme so we can really develop F1. There is an appetite there I am convinced and we should make a massive success there."

Whitmarsh believes the sport's image could be damaged in the US if the Austin race fails to happen, especially after the 2005 tyre debacle in Indianapolis.

"If we don't get there and don't make a success of it, yes," he added. "At Indianapolis we had a tyre debacle there, but that was a different era. In fairness, it wasn't Bernie's fault, we had the governing body under-reacting to a critical problem we had there, and I hope and believe it would not happen any more.

"The fact is we have not made a success of North America. North America does not need us therefore we have to accept that we have to go there and make a success of it, whether it is there or in New Jersey we want to make a success of it."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has faith that his outfit will deliver a better car for Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa next season.

On the back of a disappointing 2011 campaign, Ferrari has undertaken an extensive staffing reshuffle, and promised a more aggressive approach to car design, for next year.

Those efforts appear to be paying off, with Domenicali stating that he is bullish about the step forward that Ferrari can make, and that its 2012 car will be a good deal better.

"That is what I want and that is what I hope," said Domenicali. "And considering the persons that are around in the factory, that is what I believe will happen next year.

"But the facts come out when you go on the track. The only thing I can say is that we have put down targets that are very aggressive and we work around these targets.

"We need to wait and see what the others are doing and wait and see where the cars will be in the first qualifying in Australia. But I am confident we will do a good job."

Domenicali said that the troubles of this season had highlighted that Ferrari needed to improve all aspects of its car if it was to produce something that could take the fight to Red Bull Racing next year.

"We know we have to improve the car all around because otherwise you cannot be competitive," he said. "For sure the main area of improvement is aerodynamics and, with the regulations, this is the reason why we have anticipated the development of the car.

"We try to have more time in the wind tunnel, try to work as hard as we can in the new situation where we can rely more on the data we are analysing - work hard, head down and looking forward to coming back next year."

Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn says his team will not repeat the mistake of introducing a big upgrade package in the first race of the season without having tested it properly.

The team decided to run with a basic aerodynamic package in the first tests of 2011 before introducing the upgrades it would race in the first grand prix of the season in the final test.

Brawn believes that strategy left the team confused as there was too much to test, and he says they will not do that again next year.

"We won't, to be frank. That is one of the things we did learn," Brawn said. "It sounds like a good idea but some of the problems we had at the beginning with running the car...

"There was some confusion whether the package we were going to put on the car would make things better or worse and it meant effectively we were uncertain for a while about what we should do.

"So we had to wait for the new package as it was quite substantial - it was a lot of new bodywork and so on. Having said that, I think there was a need to get a car out as soon as we could because of Pirelli.

"I don't think it is an approach, especially as before the season there was only three tests now. I don't think it is a philosophy we will follow for 2012."

Although the team has endured a disappointing 2011 season, Brawn feels his squad is not too far from the best in terms of how it operates.

"Obviously we had some issues with the car at the beginning of the season so we did a certain amount of reorganisation," he said. "This car we have now would have won races last year, but it is not quick enough now because of the rate of progress.

"A lot of things we do very well, a lot of things we are close to the best in class at the moment but it doesn't mean we rest on our laurels. We had a pretty difficult first half of the season where we spent a lot of effort and resource putting things right with the car which we don't want to have to effectively waste that resource.

"Once we stabilised the situation we were one second away from the guys at the front and we stayed there through the second half of the year, which actually required a big effort because they have been bolting new stuff on their cars most races."

• Admin
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given Austin organisers another week to try and save the 2012 United States Grand Prix.

"The deadline hasn't been met, so we are still trying to make it happen," Ecclestone told The Associated Press on Wednesday, when the original deadline expired.

"They need to get some money and a pen as soon as possible. They know full well.

"Deadlines are terrible things because people always go to the end of the deadline. But if it isn't all signed before the World Motor Sport Council meeting, it can't happen."

The inaugural Austin race, scheduled for the end of 2012, has been in doubt for weeks, with organisers eager to delay its debut for a year.

While Austin officials have said they are ready to pay the sanctioning fee, a dispute over the financing is yet to be sorted.

Ecclestone said it would be a shame to lose the event.

"They are struggling to get the financial side sorted out - that's the problem," Ecclestone said. "They are trying to do it. It would be a loss to everyone (if it didn't happen).

"They would like the race to take place. I'd rather see the race happen than not."

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh wants Pirelli to give Formula 1 teams "more headaches" with its tyres next year in order to continue improving the show.

Although the Italian tyre manufacturer, which returned to Formula 1 this year after an absence of 20 years, has been praised for its contribution to make racing more exciting, Whitmarsh suggested the company became too conservative towards the end of the year.

That meant that the teams and their drivers had it easier when managing the rubber than at the start of the season, when they were still figuring out the best way to use it.

Whitmarsh reckons Pirelli needs to get back to producing tyres that degrade faster in order to bring back that uncertainty next year.

"I think they unwittingly or otherwise made a great contribution to the show at the beginning," said Whitmarsh. "It gave us a lot of headaches.

"I think the tyres in terms of durability and degradation they got disturbingly better as the year has gone on, and I think we would like to give them the challenge of making high degradation tyres and give us a bit more headache.

"While drivers will always feel uncomfortable in those situations, I think they made quite a big contribution to the season, so I think KERS and DRS made an impact but you have to keep working to make sure we have a spectacle and show."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali believes the Italian company has done a very good job this season, at the same time agreeing with Whitmarsh that there are still way to improve the situation.

"I think that we need to congratulate Pirelli because it was not an easy job to take over from Bridgestone," said Domenicali. "And there were a lot of comments at the beginning of the season about pitstops or difficult handling of the tyres.

"It was the first year and everything went well and I am sure next year there will be other possibilities to improve the situation for the race."

Pirelli has stated that it plans to be more aggressive with its tyre choices next year, reducing the performance gap between different compounds in order to offer more strategic options for teams.

"I think next season you will not get the whole season run on the soft," said Pirelli's Paul Hembery. "We will close down the gap between the compounds and you will see races where hard and medium is used. The data is showing a big improvement in performance.

"We will have to reset all the compounds for next season. We want to close down the gaps of performance between the compounds, from 1.2 seconds to about 0.8 seconds."

• Admin

Semms like a straight toss-up between Sutil and Barrichello now for the second Williams seat.

The Williams team has confirmed Pastor Maldonado will enter his second season in Formula 1 with the team next year.

The Venezuelan made his debut with the Grove-based squad in 2011 and was expected to continue with the team, in a move that was confirmed by Williams on Thursday evening.

"I am delighted to be able to continue with Williams into my second season and I will give my very best to help the team as we push to return to the front of the grid," he said. "This has been a tough season for the whole team but it has given me personally the opportunity to learn and develop.

"I am convinced that the steps we have taken to improve our competitiveness will bear fruit in 2012 and beyond. I am thrilled to be part of that and also to represent the people of Venezuela in Formula 1."

Team boss Frank Williams added: "Pastor has proven this year that he is not only quick but also that he is able to maintain a consistent and strong race pace. Pastor has been responsible for all of our forays into Q3 in 2011 and his race at Monaco was outstanding.

"Pastor has also settled into the team at Williams very well, contributing strongly in the factory and with our partners. He will play a critical role in 2012 as we rebuild the team and move forward."

The team also confirmed that Valtteri Bottas will stay on as a reserve driver, while there was no news on who will partner Maldonado in 2012.

Finn Bottas will drive in 15 Friday practice sessions during the upcoming season.

"I would like to thank Frank Williams and the whole team for the investment that everyone at Williams has made to help me over the past two years," said Bottas.

"The opportunity now to continue this unique development with the position of Reserve Driver will enable me to gain essential experience as part of the race team in 2012.

"In this position, I will do my utmost to help the team to set up for a great race weekend and also look forward to playing a role off the track with the team at the factory and with our partners."

World champion Sebastian Vettel believes Kimi Raikkonen may need time to be as strong as he was before leaving Formula 1.

Raikkonen, who left the sport at the end of the 2009 season to compete in the World Rally Championship, will return to grand prix racing next year after having secured a two-year deal with the Lotus Renault team.

Vettel reckons it is tough to know if Raikkonen, a world champion with Ferrari in 2007, will be as competitive as he was before he left the sport.

But the Red Bull driver believes the example of Michael Schumacher, who left Formula 1 only to return three years later, shows it takes time to adapt to the changes the sport has undergone.

"I don't know. It's difficult to judge," said Vettel when asked if he expected Raikkonen to be competitive.

"Obviously we all look at the comeback that Michael had. He left Formula 1 and we can say he was on top of it. He came back and he said himself that Formula 1 has changed and there were things that he needed to adapt to.

"A driver like him has the potential and the talent to get used to things again. But even myself if I look back two years and the car that I raced two years ago, how many things changed is unbelievable. From the regulations point of view but also how many things changed during the season.

"You used different buttons on the steering wheel, different procedures. Day in day out it's not a big change, but if you stop and then you drive the same car it's difficult to adapt to the car you drove two years ago.

"So I can imagine it would be difficult to come back and be at the level of performance that you were when you left."

The German thinks, however, that Raikkonen is making the right decision in returning to Formula 1 if that's what he really wants.

"I probably don't know more than you do. If that's what he wants and he has the chance, then it's great for him. Obviously I don't know more than anyone else.

"At the end of the day the most important thing is that you are happy with yourself and with what you do. And if that's what makes him happy again I hope he gets that."

Renault has vowed to take a more conservative approach to the car Kimi Raikkonen will race in his return to Formula 1 in the 2012 season.

The team surprised rivals at the start of the season thanks to the introduction of a radical system with forward-facing exhausts.

Although Renault started the season strongly, the outfit faded as the season moved on, as it was unable to make as much progress as it wanted with the system.

Renault even tried regular exhaust layout during the season, but ended up ruling it out.

Team boss Eric Boullier believes the forward exhausts were "too challenging" and he says his squad will be more conservative in 2012.

He also said Renault will continue to strengthen its structure in order to return to the sharp end of the grid.

"The plan is to carry on the reinforcement of the company in terms of high quality people," said Boullier. "Not necessarily people with big names but with high profile, high technical profile.

"And we definitely need to reinforce our strategy on this, to not lose ground on creativity or everything, and I think the challenge to go very innovative with the forward exhausts was maybe too challenging.

"I believe next year we will be more conservative in a way, even though in many aspects of R&D we have to be creative because this is where we can make a difference - like Renault made the difference in the past when it was world champion."

Renault's season took a hit even before the start, when Robert Kubica was ruled out following his crash.

Boullier reckons his team's problems were not solely down to the absence of Kubica, but also about the strength of its package.

"When you have a downward spiral, it is very difficult to break it," he said. "We had a good start to the season, fastest laptime in Valencia, then the accident of Kubica, I was blamed for this – but I am sorry, I didn't sign the contract with Kubica. He could do rally, he did rally and he had a crash.

"The second thing is we went for a different drive pair which did not bring what was expected. Not because of the drivers but because of the package. The ideas and innovation was too innovative – we had to take a decision to break down this spiral."

And while he concedes that Renault did not develop its car fast enough during the season, he recognises that losing Kubica so early was a big problem for the team, as everything was built around him.

"We obviously didn't develop the car enough. This is true," added Boullier. "We publicly acknowledge this. There is obviously a problem of identity of this company.

"You know why – two people fighting for the Lotus name, so this company for one year was asking itself who we are: Renault? Lotus? Genii? Where do we go? Will we be called Renault, or Lotus or Genii next year? I had to face this to the 500 people in the factory, and I had to bring the shareholders into the company to explain where they go because I have no answer.

"I am an employee. I am not the team owner. We have this company, we took this company over and they appointed me, two years ago. The team was eighth in the championship, the biggest team employee number, and they were eighth in the championship being champion three years before.

"So give me a little bit of time for cleaning the mess – because there is obviously a mess somewhere. You cannot be world champion in 2006 and eighth in the championship in 2009, three years later...

"Don't forget, we built everything around Kubica because he was the main asset of this company and the guy disappears after one week, so my main foundation was broken."

Scuderia Toro Rosso has announced it has strengthened its technical team with the appointments of Jon Tomlinson and Luca Furbatto.

Briton Tomlinson has joined the team's Bicester wind tunnel staff, where he takes on the role of deputy head of aerodynamics, reporting to Nicolo Petrucci.

Tomlinson was head of aerodynamics at the Williams team before announcing his exit from the team together with technical director Sam Michael earlier this year.

Furbatto, who had worked at McLaren since 2000, joins the design team in Faenza.

Both men have taken up their positions today and on 1 April next year Furbatto will take over as chief designer, reporting to technical director Giorgio Ascanelli.

Ben Butler, who is Toro Rosso's current chief designer, will return to work for Red Bull Technology in Milton Keynes.

AUTOSPORT understands Butler is set to take charge of the customer programme liaison at Red Bull Racing.

The return of Mexico to the Formula 1 calendar should be a no-brainer, according to Mexican businessman Carlos Slim Domit.

Slim Domit, the son of the world's richest man Carlos Slim, has been working with entertainment company CIE to take Formula 1 back to the country after an absence of nearly 20 years.

Slim Domit believes Mexico should capitalise on the rising interest created by drivers such as Sergio Perez, now racing for Sauber, to be back on the F1 calendar for the first time since 1992.

"I embrace the idea and believe that a new race for Mexico is what, in colloquial English, is referred to as a 'no-brainer'," Slim Domit wrote in a column for the FIA in Motion magazine. "Mexico has long been close to Formula 1, closer to it indeed than it has been to many other racing series that have visited the country.

"The rise of a new generation of Mexican racers has only served to boost the interest in Formula 1. We not only have Sergio Perez impressing at Sauber, but waiting in the wings is another star, Esteban Gutierrez. He is a Formula 1 star in the making.

"The potential of these young drivers has reawakened interest in F1 beyond hardcore fans and the huge crowds who flocked to see Perez's F1 demonstration in his home town earlier this year attest to a new-found popularity for the sport that should be capitalised upon."

He also reckons a Mexican race would work perfectly to consolidate the sport in North America together with the races in Canada and the planned events in the USA.

"Linking races in Canada and the US with a Mexican round would perfectly consolidate Formula 1's footprint in North and Central America and provide a viable bridge to the race in Brazil," he said.

Slim Domit says there are plenty of options for a grand prix circuit in the country, with a street circuit in Guadalajara one of possibilities being looked at.

"There are numerous choices for a new circuit, with second city of Guadalajara, which recently hosted the very successful Pan-American games, being an attractive option. Cancun, too, with its superb tourist infrastructure also remains a possibility. There is, in fact, no shortage of viable host cities nor of capable promoters."

He added: "The bottom line is that Mexico's loss of Formula 1 in 1992 was an unfortunate occurrence. However, the loss of Mexico to Formula 1 can now be seen as something more than unfortunate.

"With a committed, educated fan base, local involvement at driver level, first class infrastructure, tourism potential and solid marketing imperatives all within easy reach, it is, in fact, a wonder that Mexico has been absent from the calendar for so long."

• Admin
Ferrari and Red Bull Racing have decided to withdraw from the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) on the back of the ongoing row over the Resource Restriction Agreement, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Amid ongoing debate about the future of FOTA, with teams failing to agree a way forward for the RRA after a crunch meeting at the Brazilian Grand Prix, high level sources have revealed that both Ferrari and Red Bull Racing have lodged notification that they intend to leave the organisation.

It is understood that both teams wrote to FOTA earlier this week to inform them of their decision.

Neither Red Bull Racing nor Ferrari would comment on the situation when contacted by AUTOSPORT on Friday to discuss it.

A spokesman for FOTA confirmed only that the body had received notice from two teams that they no longer intended to be a part of it, but would not elaborate on which teams they were.

"FOTA confirms it has received the resignation of two teams," said a spokesman. "Whilst considering its next steps, FOTA will continue to work on behalf of its members to achieve the aims of the organisation."

FOTA's latest statutes mean that teams must give a two-month notice period to leave the organisation, which means Red Bull Racing and Ferrari will officially depart the body by the start of February next year - providing they do not change their mind.

Ferrari has viewed a deal over the RRA as key to FOTA's future - with Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali warning earlier this year that if a deal could not be reached to sort out cost controls within FOTA then the future of the body should be called into question.

Speaking at the Korean Grand Prix, Domenicali said: "If this [mistrust] will come out of FOTA activity then what is FOTA all about? We know the reason why FOTA started, and now we need to understand if FOTA is still needed. What are the objectives of the future of FOTA, if there is a future for FOTA?

"We need to do that in a very constructive way, a very open way. That is the discussion that I believe in the next weeks is important to take over."

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner said at the same race: "I think that FOTA has reached the crossroads where it needs to deal with some of the key issues moving forward or we'll stop. It's as simple as that.

"The principal issues are obviously the Concorde Agreement, the direction that goes in, and fundamentally the RRA (Resource Restriction Agreement). If we can't find agreement within FOTA on that, then what is the purpose of FOTA?"

Although the main battleground between the teams has been over the RRA, and the departure of Ferrari and Red Bull Racing has been linked to this, AUTOSPORT understands that outfits are still working hard to try and find agreement on the matter.

Sources have revealed that the four biggest teams – Ferrari, Red Bull Racing, McLaren and Mercedes – have agreed to meet privately within the next fortnight to try and make progress on the RRA.

If these teams can resolve their differences, then the plan is to then return to other FOTA members with a solution that can then be implemented by all outfits.

Ferrari has confirmed its departure from the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) - after issuing a statement claiming that the body's impetus has 'run its course'.

As AUTOSPORT revealed earlier today, Ferrari and Red Bull Racing this weekend wrote to FOTA informing it of their decision to leave the organisation.

Although neither team was initially willing to comment on the situation, Ferrari has now issued a statement explaining its decision – and suggesting that a 'stalemate' within the body over certain issues was key to its move.

"It was a difficult decision and a great deal of thought went into it," said the statement. "It was taken reluctantly after analysing the current situation and the stalemate when it came to debate on some issues that were at the core of why the association was formed, indeed with Ferrari and Luca di Montezemolo as the main instigator and promoter of ideas.

"It's not by chance that the President of the Maranello company held that same position and job title within FOTA up to the end of 2009.

"Some of the major achievements of the association during these years, also worked out in conjunction with the FIA, centred around cost reduction, which was of significant benefit to everyone, the big teams and the small ones.

"Ferrari was on the front line in this area, even before the birth of FOTA and it intends to continue down this route to ensure the sustainability of the sport in the long term. Now however, it is necessary to find some new impetus to move it along because FOTA's drive has run its course, despite the excellent work of current President, Martin Whitmarsh in trying to reach agreement between the various positions for the common good."

Although recent rows over F1's Resource Restriction Agreement have dominated FOTA's agenda, Ferrari insists that it is keen to ensure a deal is still reached to limit costs.

AUTOSPORT revealed earlier that Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes GP and Red Bull Racing are due to meet within the next fortnight to try and end differences over the RRA.

"Ferrari will continue to work with the other teams to make the current RRA, Resource Restriction Agreement, aimed at controlling costs, more effective and efficient, modifying it to make it more stringent in key areas such as aerodynamics, to rebalance some aspects such as testing and to expand it to areas currently not covered such as engines," added the statement.

"Formula 1, like the rest of the world in fact, is currently going through a delicate period. Ferrari wants to work with all parties for the future of a sport that expresses the highest level of motor sport technology.

"We must return to a situation where Formula 1 is really a test bed for advanced technological research, the results of which can be transferred to Granturismo cars.

"In addition, we must not forget that this sport must become more user friendly and more accessible to the general public and furthermore, it cannot be the only professional sport where it is practically impossible to do any training: the number of days of testing must be increased so that the drivers, especially the young ones who lack experience and the teams, can be adequately prepared, as well as providing more opportunities for them to come into contact with spectators and sponsors."

Red Bull Racing has confirmed it will withdraw from the Formula One Team's Association, as revealed by AUTOSPORT earlier today.

The team, however, says it remains committed to cost-cutting in Formula 1, despite the row over the Resource Restriction Agreement being one of the reasons why both Red Bull and Ferrari have decided to leave the body.

Red Bull's confirmation comes moments after Ferrari had also said it was leaving the teams' organisation.

"Red Bull Racing can confirm it has served notice to withdraw from FOTA (Formula One Teams' Association)," said Red Bull in a statement.

"The team will remain committed to finding a solution regarding cost saving in Formula 1."

Vitaly Petrov is keen to stay at Renault next season and would relish the chance to race alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Although the Russian's future with the outfit is in doubt, amid reports that it is evaluating other options for its second seat in 2012, Petrov has declared himself keen to remain there.

And he reckons that he would do a much better job next year than he did this season, when errors on both his and the team's side resulted in a disappointing campaign.

"I think the team did a big construction, changed a lot of stuff with the team and drivers, and they want to be sure we can do it together," said Petrov in an interview with the official Race of Champions website about his future situation.

"I know this year was a not a good example from my side but sorry, I am still a rookie. I did just two years in F1, so now I learn a lot so I can do the third season much, much better.

"In 2010 I did mistakes that I didn't do in 2011, so I have a big step improvement. In 2010 you could see how difficult it was to fight with Robert Kubica and be a top guy, but in 2011 I improved quite a lot.

"I can do it. I was still doing some mistakes, but F1 it is not the easiest of sports. But can you imagine what I can do in 2012? So I will again have one more step and, together with Kimi, together in one team, it will be good fun.

"He is experienced and I want very much to be part of this team. I hope the team takes the right decision and we wait a few days more. I hope to stay with the same team because I love very much this team.

"I like the people, working with the mechanics and engineers, so it feels like a family. They gave me the opportunity to drive. I don't want to change to another team, so I cross my fingers and wait for the answer."

Petrov believes the troubled 2011 campaign, and the difficulties he and the team faced, gave him a learning opportunity that he will unlikely never experience again.

"For me there is nothing to lose," he said. "I learn a lot from the 2011 season. I learn very much - and I will never learn so much, even in the future, because we have so many problems.

"I need to adapt my driving for this car to develop new things in the car. I have a big step in my head and a feeling of improvement. Together with Kimi, he is a world champion, and he is motivated and funny.

"I watch a lot of videos of him, from previous years, and we are very close nationality [wise] so I hope I can stay together with him for next year."

Adrian Sutil says he is surprised he has not secured a Formula 1 drive for next year already after his strong showing during the 2011 season.

The German, who finished in ninth place in the championship with 42 points, looks set to lose his seat at Force India next year to Nico Hulkenberg.

Sutil, however, has been linked with drives at Williams and Renault and, although he admits he's baffled by his situation, he says things are not looking bad.

"Yes, I totally agree," he told the official F1 website when asked if it was absurd he doesn't have a drive for next year yet after his strongest season.

"But that's life in Formula 1 and you have to deal with it. But it doesn't look too bad for 2012 - let's see what will happen."

He added: "To be honest, I delivered great performances at my last 10 races, but obviously the last three are still more current to the onlooker. For sure, these results make things easier for me and my manager to sort out the future."

Sutil said he has more than one option for 2012 at the moment and is hoping he can announce his future in the upcoming weeks.

"Right now we do have more than one option and we are trying to put the best package together for next year. Hopefully we will have a decision within the next two weeks," he said.

And the German conceded he would be pleased to partner Kimi Raikkonen at Lotus next year if the possibility arose.

"I always said I'm happy to have the best team-mate I can get, as this is the only chance to show how good you are - and Kimi would be a great and very strong team-mate..."

• Admin
Renault team owner Gerard Lopez says questions about Kimi Raikkonen's motivation in returning to Formula 1 will only make the 2007 world champion more determined to succeed.

After two years in the World Rally Championship, Raikkonen is rejoining grand prix racing in 2012 with what will then be called the Lotus team.

The Finn's motivation level was often called into question during the latter stages of his original F1 career and in his WRC stint, but speaking during Raikkonen's first visit to the team's Enstone factory on Friday, Lopez said he was confident this was not an issue anymore.

"Kimi has proven in the past that he is among the fastest and in terms of age he's still in his prime," said Lopez.

"In terms of motivation from what I have seen and spoken to him, he is probably as motivated as ever. And the more people question the better it is because it is going to increase his motivation even more to prove that they are wrong.

"I'm excited that he is here because I think it's one of the very important steps in getting the team to where we want it to be - which is one of the top teams in Formula 1."

Lopez feels that as a proven world champion, Raikkonen will be the benchmark Renault needs to judge its competitiveness as it tries to get back to the top.

"I think we decided that we had to look forward in terms of performance and the key way to see how good a car is, is to have a good driver," he said.

Raikkonen said he was pleased with the welcome he received at the team's base yesterday, and that he was feeling relaxed about the task ahead.

"It is my first time in Enstone," he said, "so it is very nice to see the factory - it feels good. It is a very warm feeling and I'm very relaxed.

"I haven't really read the newspapers about all the excitement but it is quite normal, isn't it? It doesn't put any more pressure on me. I always try to do my best, so I don't put myself under pressure. It will be exciting, yes, but no pressure really and we will see how it goes."

• Admin
David Coulthard believes his former McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen will be better than ever when he returns to Formula 1 with the Lotus Renault team in 2012.

Renault - which becomes Lotus next year - announced this week that it had secured the services of 2007 world champion Raikkonen, who has spent the last two seasons focusing on the World Rally Championship.

Coulthard drove alongside Raikkonen at McLaren from 2002 to '04, and reckons the maturity and perspective the Finn has gained since his initial F1 stint will be hugely beneficial.

"I think he's more worldly now," Coulthard told reporters at the Race of Champions.

"He's had some changes in his private life and he's in a better place to have a perspective on what a great opportunity this is. Remember he came in straight from Formula Renault to Sauber, and when you go straight from being a kid in a lower formula to being immersed in Formula 1 and you're earning all this money and have all these various distractions, I think you can't really see the wood for the trees.

"So he's taken a step back, and I've no doubt he will communicate with the media better than he did the first time around and he'll give it his all. Good on him."

Now a BBC F1 commentator and DTM racer, Coulthard is sure that Raikkonen has plenty of motivation for coming back to F1.

"Kimi stopped too early in his career, there's no question about that," said Coulthard. "He's gone off and had some fun in rallying.

"I did an event with him earlier this year at the Red Bull Ring and he was just jumping on everything - whether it was motocross bikes or the different cars that were there, he just has a great feeling for pushing the limits. So I've got no doubt at all that he will be on the pace."

Jenson Button also backed Raikkonen's decision to return, though he admitted that news of his Renault deal had come as a surprise.

"It was a shock to me that he's going to be racing for the team he is," said Button. "I was really surprised when they announced Kimi. I thought he had a chance at Williams.

"I think it's really good for the sport. As a driver, he's very, very competitive. If he really wants to race, he's going to be quick.

"From what I've heard from the engineers at McLaren, he knows what he's doing in terms of engineering and setting up the car.

"It's good to have him back and the races will be more fun and obviously the evenings after the races will be more fun..."

Romain Grosjean says news that Kimi Raikkonen will drive for the current Renault team in 2012 has made him even more determined to secure a seat at the squad, which will run as Lotus next year.

Raikkonen was the only 2012 Lotus driver specified on the official Formula 1 entry list when it was released by the FIA earlier this week. 2011 Renault racers Vitaly Petrov and Bruno Senna are reserve driver and GP2 champion Grosjean's rivals for the second seat.

Grosjean described the 'tba' on the next to the second 2012 Lotus drive as "a nice empty space", and said his excitement at the possibility of getting a race seat only increased when the team signed Raikkonen.

"I think I'm still on the list. I'm hoping for sure to get the seat," said Grosjean.

"I dream about F1 and I really would like to come back, and I think especially with Kimi it could be something quite special for my career and for my experience.

"I'm still waiting. I think I did everything I could when I had the car in my hands and now I'll try to work it out and find a solution."

Grosjean fully backed the decision to sign Raikkonen, despite the 2007 champion's two-year absence from F1.

"I think for the team, in terms of marketing and media it was a very good announcement," said Grosjean. "Nobody was expecting it, which was really cool. That was the case for everybody, myself as well. They told me just a little bit before, but yeah I was surprised.

"But I knew for the team it was something interesting and something good for the future."

The 25-year-old said he was trying to remain open-minded about his chances of being on the 2012 F1 grid.

"Do you want me to be optimistic or realistic?" Grosjean said when asked how big a possibility he thought it was.

"It changes every morning - it depends on my mood... This morning I was in quite a good mood, but it's difficult to say. If you don't believe in it, you don't try. So far, I believe in it."

Jenson Button believes the change in the competitive balance at McLaren this season was more due to him improving than Lewis Hamilton's form declining.

Hamilton found himself beaten in the standings by a team-mate for the first time this season, as Button took the runner-up spot in the Formula 1 world championship behind dominant champion Sebastian Vettel, and Hamilton was 43 points further back in fifth. In their first year as McLaren team-mates in 2010, Hamilton had beaten Button by 26 points as they took fourth and fifth.

Although Hamilton's performances received a lot of criticism this year, Button thinks his team-mate did little wrong - but that his own form took big strides forward as he settled into the team.

"For me personally I felt more and more comfortable and confident in the team with finding the right direction for the car," Button told reporters at the Race of Champions.

"I feel that I was driving better, and I obviously can't speak for Lewis.

"He had some pretty tough races but he also had some great races. In Abu Dhabi he was untouchable. He's still got the speed."

McLaren signed Button to a new multi-year deal this autumn, and though the 2009 champion said he had never been over-keen on long contracts, he felt honoured that the team was so eager to keep hold of him, and that it was positive for his and the team's future.

"It's something that McLaren wanted," Button said. "I'm not blowing smoke up my arse, but a team wants continuity.

"For me, I wouldn't mind taking it year on year and every year renewing the contract. I think it's a nice position to be in, and it's exciting that way.

"But it's also good to have a long-term contract in terms of knowing that the team is going to support you and help you build as a driver and you need to work together to build a car around you.

"There are two guys in a team, and obviously this team has always been Lewis's team, understandably, he's a world champion, he's achieved so much for McLaren and everyone loves that, but this year I feel I had more involvement in the car than the previous car, and that's really important to me. We've both had a lot of involvement in the car and we've really moved it forward.

"You need continuity, the team thinking that you might leave at the end of the year - it doesn't work. This is working well for me and I'm happy to be in this position."