RIP Leslie Nielsen

apsham

Veteran comedian and actor Leslie Nielsen has died in a Florida hospital, his family confirmed to Global News on Sunday evening. The Canadian actor was 84.

Nielsen rose to fame with roles in the Airplane and Naked Gun film franchises. He had apparently been suffering from pneumonia for more than a week.

“Today at 5:30 with his friends and his wife by his side, he just fell asleep and passed away,” his nephew Doug Nielsen told Manitoba radio station CJOB68.

Link

Comedy Legend Leslie Nielsen Dead At 84

Canadian actor Leslie Nielsen, who most famously achieved global success in comedy movies such as "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun," has died aged 84, Manitoba radio station CJOB reported Sunday.

His death was first reported in unconfirmed messages on Twitter late Sunday that suggested the actor had died in the hospital after suffering from pneumonia.

His nephew Doug Nielson, told CJOB that Leslie had been in the hospital in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for 12 days and that with family and friends by his side at 5:30pm Sunday "he just fell asleep and passed away."

Born in Regina, Canada, Leslie Nielsen appeared in more than 100 movies and hundreds of television shows over the course of his career.

Awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, he was also made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002 despite also being a naturalized US citizen.

He was married four times, and had two children from his second marriage, Maura and Thea Nielsen.

Edited by million$$man

Nielsen is probably my favourite comedy actor, I spent my childhood watching his stuff countless times. One of the few times when I'm genuinely sad to hear about a celebrity passing. Looks like I'll be picking up the Naked Gun films when I get paid.

He'll be missed terribly. I can't even count how many times I've seen the original Naked Gun over the years, but it's been one of my favorites since childhood. As much as I love the Zucker brothers' comedy style, it was really Leslie Nielsen that made those movies work. R.I.P.

I call 84 years old and being dubbed by no less than Roger Ebert as the Lawrence Olivier of satire a pretty fucking great run, to be honest. Ah well.

Hell yeah, give me 84 Leslie Nielsen years and I'll be the happiest hospice patient you've ever seen.

Still sad to lose a comedic legend though. I'm sure countless people will attend his funeral... and leave quickly when they find out Weird Al is performing across the street.

• Like 1