EWB's Top 99 Stand-Up Comics OF ALL TIME!

badotori

First of all, thanks to everybody that voted and contributed within this thread. I've personally had a lot of fun compiling this list, especially during my trawling of Youtube to find material, and I hope everyone has at least discovered one new comedian that they like or rediscovered a comedian they knew of. 'Tis a shame that I'm only allowed to link to one video per post as it ruined my set-up a little but I'm sure that you guys have fulfilled your own curiosity if you felt like finding out about a particular comedian. I may, if the mood takes me, compile a Youtube playlist of the list seeing as I'd chosen a video for everyone before I started typing it up and I'd like to do something with them, at least.

Anyways, onwards with the Top 5. I personally really like it even though, in the case of 3 and 4, I'm not as familiar with their material as I should be - it's eclectic and they're all talented in their own ways. The winner picked up a hell of a lot of support late on in the voting and, even though I only have a piecemeal knowledge of his material, I've seen enough to know his popularity and influence is more than understandable.

==================================================================

CHRIS ROCK

American, Born 1965.

53 points (13 votes).

3a6a67f1-db52-8f62-510f-8c744cf9d312-ent_FB_Sundance09_ChrisRock.jpg

DEMETRI MARTIN

American, Born 1973.

60 points (9 votes).

jamesk_DemetriMartin_15199.jpg

RICHARD PRYOR

American, Born 1940, Died 2005.

76 points (10 votes).

RichardPryor.jpg

EDDIE IZZARD

British, Born 1962.

82 points (10 votes).

hero-4616edee-cecb-4b24-aa01-b02db2be7e35.jpg

GEORGE CARLIN

American, Born 1937, Died 2008.

95 points (11 votes - 6 firsts, 4 more than anyone else)

george%20carlin.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1284403886644

==================================================================

George Carlin :wub:

I actually first heard Carlin about 6 months ago with 'You're All Diseased' which, aside from the start, was just meh to me, so I didn't look him back up. I eventually got some of his older stuff, and fell in love. The man is simply a legend. I only regret I didn't hear his stuff earlier. :D

Unfortunately, the only other person in the top 5 I know well is Rock, and he's pretty much the reason I started looking for more comedians, so I got no complaints with him there.

And Finally, RIP Tippy. The only dog to ever commit suicide :(

Wait... Lenny Bruce, the man who essentially MADE stand-up for anyone following him possible is that far down the list, and Demetri Martin is in the top five?

For fucking shame, EWB. For fucking shame. Carlin, Bruce, Pryor are the top three stand-up comedians/greatest modern satirists of all time, in whatever order you'd like to put them. Seriously. For fucking shame.

Edited by Will? Yum.

...wait...wait...wait...Demetri Martin...the guy with the incredibly shitty show on E4!?!?! 1) People think he's good, 2) He's actually that well known? It's god fucking awful. I watched two, when drunk (and desperately needed something funny to watch on "On Demand"), laughed about once in an hour.

Edited by YI

...I liked Important Things. Well, some of it. From the first two or three episodes.

Maybe you could give his standup special "Demetri Martin. Person." a shot, but if you didn't care for his musical bits or the sketchbook, then don't bother.

It is better than the show though.

Wait... Lenny Bruce, the man who essentially MADE stand-up for anyone following him possible is that far down the list, and Demetri Martin is in the top five?

For fucking shame, EWB. For fucking shame. Carlin, Bruce, Pryor are the top three stand-up comedians/greatest modern satirists of all time, in whatever order you'd like to put them. Seriously. For fucking shame.

DUDE.

It's WILL! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: