Civilization Thread!

Ruki

On 05/08/2019 at 06:42, ksdixon said:

I can't put it into words properly. But I'm struggling with Civ6 after loving Civ5. Can anyone suggest any starting points for help with the transition?

What's giving you trouble? My biggest issues when I started was getting production going, which you can compensate for a bit by either playing with Rome (free buildings) or Germany (cheap, really broken Industrial Zone). Which expansions are you using if any?

The default Civ answer since the first is "play the map" but I almost always go Scout/Monument/Slinger (to get the Arcery eureka) first. First district will be one of either a Holy Site or a Campus, depending on what I want to do--I have a bad tendency to build Holy Site first because I usually shoot for a religion, but I don't think that's necessarily a good idea. I plan districts with adjacency bonuses in mind, so like, if there's a valley surrounded by mountains I'll almost always drop a Campus or Holy Site there (usually a Campus), and if I put a city down for building certain wonders (like a desert-y city where I know I'm gonna shoot for the Pyramids and Petra), I'll try to put a Theatre Square near where I'd plan to build those wonders.

If a civ has a special district, though, I almost always want it early because it's a cheap build. This is especially true of Russia, Korea, Germany, England, Greece, and Phoenicia. Unique districts tend to track with the best victory for the civ, too, so that helps. It's also why Germany is one of my favorites, because you can do pretty much anything you want with a shitload of extra production.

Also I plan for adjacency. Industrial Zones next to a lot of hills/rocks that will need quarrying, even if the improvements aren't there yet. If I can find a coastal spot adjacent to a land tile with a river, that's good because I can build a Commercial Site next to the Harbor for a bonus. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Mick said:

Time for my first game of Civ VI. I'm playing as Rome, and I have no idea what I'm doing :shifty: 

Edit: Hey guys, what does this do?

Image result for the red button

Summons Gandhi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/08/2019 at 00:55, Sousa said:

It's very good. I miss the expansion packs but those are apparently coming out soon. If you're cool with just having the base game then it does what the base game does perfectly well.

The expansion packs are fifty bucks. :crying: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2019 at 08:38, Sousa said:

The expansion packs are fifty bucks. :crying: 

I bought them anyway because it turns out I like being able to play as the Maori on a system where the game actually runs okay more than I like having money.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...