2010/2011 UEFA Champions League

EddieG

For me there's only two ways we can go,

Van Der Sar                                      Van Der Sar  

Rafael   Ferdinand   Vidic   Evra               Rafael   Ferdinand   Vidic   Evra

Carrick                   OR                   Carrick

Park            Giggs                          Park           Fletcher

Valencia                       Rooney           Valencia                       Giggs

Hernandez                                       Rooney           

It all comes down to whether Fergie wants Hernandez's pace and movement upfront or he wants to flood the midfield with more energy and put Fletcher in there.

No Nani in either option but having Giggs as an attacking winger up against Dani Alves seems like a good idea? :mellow:

Bomb forward like he always does which could potentially leave Evra vulnerable. Giggs is a central midfield player now at his age, I wouldn't like putting him up against a fullback with such attacking skill that Alves possesses. I was just pointing out that it's odd that Nani has no hope according to those two line-ups.

While Nani has had a pretty damn good season, he's gone back to being hit and miss throughout this second half of the season, that's the problem. Giggs has been pretty outstanding as of late, the guy was putting in a bloody shift at LB not too long ago for crying out loud. Sure, this is Alves and he poses much more of an attacking threat, but I'd take Giggs all day over Nani in this final and most certainly Valencia on the other wing too.

Only time will tell, but Nani would be a great option with about twenty five minutes of the game left when players are feeling a little more tired. And seriously, Giggs tracks back twenty times better than Nani ever has and likely ever will. I'd also personally like to see Scholes start, even though people think it's a risk. I cant see it happening though that's for sure.

For me there's only two ways we can go,

Van Der Sar                                      Van Der Sar  

Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Carrick OR Carrick

Park Giggs Park Fletcher

Valencia Rooney Valencia Giggs

Hernandez Rooney [/code]

It all comes down to whether Fergie wants Hernandez's pace and movement upfront or he wants to flood the midfield with more energy and put Fletcher in there.

No Nani in either option but having Giggs as an attacking winger up against Dani Alves seems like a good idea? :mellow:

I thought the inclusion of Carrick was the strangest choice on there, have I missed something and he's suddenly become Champions League standard? I think the back 5 is right, then a midfield 3 of Fletcher, Park and Giggs/Scholes, as for the attacking 3, it could be almost any combination of Nani, Rooney, Valencia, Hernandez and even Berbatov, with Rooney almost certainly in there.

How is it strange? Was it strange when he played pretty much every big game this season, or when he played in the last two CL finals or when he played both legs of the Barca semi? Carrick is a massive player for us and when he plays well the team generally does better.

As for Giggs up against Alves, he's easily inter-changeable with Park so it isn't a problem.

How is it strange? Was it strange when he played pretty much every big game this season, or when he played in the last two CL finals or when he played both legs of the Barca semi? Carrick is a massive player for us and when he plays well the team generally does better.

As for Giggs up against Alves, he's easily inter-changeable with Park so it isn't a problem.

Really? I can't say I exactly memorise the Man Utd lineups, but I'm surprised at that, I think he's a very average player (by top half Premier League standards) and I thought Fergie had thought similar in the last couple of years. By the sounds of your response, I'm very wrong.

Carrick has been pretty good the past few months. Before that he wasn't really in favour with Fergie and was going through a fairly long stretch of bad form. He was shocking against Barcelona in Rome though and there is always the worry that when teams put him under pressure (like they did in 2009) he struggles and it leads us into trouble. Given a bit of space (like against Schalke in the first leg) he is capable of dictating the game and playing some wonderful passes but I really doubt Barcelona will allow him the time to do so.

The mistake everyone makes with Barcelona is giving them too much respect - Man Utd have just got to go full on and take the game to Barca. If they do that, I can see them winning. Let Barca come at you - just be sure to give it back.

The problem with Carrick is he's prone to mistakes, such as against Man City and I think he even made one against Barcelona back in '09. However he has played well in the Champions League this season and I think he'll be in alongside Fletcher and Giggs, or if Fletcher isn't fit Anderson. I think Park and Valencia are nailed on for the winger spots because of their energy and the way they can go backwards and forwards so I see Rooney up top on his alone with Hernandez coming off the bench at some point.

Not such a hard job to predict the Barca team as it never really changes, just have to be careful tackling Busquets who I think is damaging the reputation of that team with his antics, especially as he tries to make himself out as a midfield enforcer yet rolls around like somebody shot him if anyone comes within 5 yards of him. Although the playacting has the advantage of if the ref deems it to be so he just lets play go on and Barca are suddenly short a player.

The other thing about Barca is they like short passes, if you force them to start doing long balls by getting in between their defence and midfield they suddenly start to see a lot more balls go astray.

Edited by Sam

Heh, even Messi decided to take about three rolls too many when he was tackled by someone already on a yellow the other night.

I'd like to see us attack them. As has been said, paying them too much respect won't work. United tend to respect teams away from home in Europe and hit them on the counter, but I think we need to be a little bit braver against Barca, because I know if we go forward against them, they're vulnerable. They do their damage with the ball, and the CM's press like crazy to get it back. There's definitely a chance to exploit them on the wings though, which is why I hope Rooney gets plenty of service and goes far enough forward when Park/Valencia have an opportunity to put it into the box.

You'd be a fool to make United favourites, but we are definitely in with a chance.

Uefa hands Real Madrid coach Mourinho five-match ban

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has been handed a five-match European ban for his conduct after the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.

Uefa said he made an "inappropriate" comment when, after Madrid's 2-0 defeat, he accused them - and referees - of trying to help Barcelona win.

Mourinho served one match of the ban in the second leg, and another of the five games is suspended for three years.

Madrid have announced that they will appeal Mourinho's punishment to Uefa.

European football's governing body also banned Barcelona keeper Jose Pinto from the Champions League final, while Real's Pepe - who was sent off in the match - has been handed a one-match ban.

Former Chelsea manager Mourinho - who has also been fined 50,000 euros by Uefa's control and disciplinary - will miss Madrid's first three European games next season for his sending-off, and the outspoken comments that followed, after the club's 2-0 first-leg home defeat.

• Admin

Two thirds of the group stage next year! That's dreadful for him. Firstly it will have a say in whether Madrid decide to keep him on for next year, and secondly any potential hirer who will be competing in Europe will see that as a big black mark next to his name.

The mistake everyone makes with Barcelona is giving them too much respect - Man Utd have just got to go full on and take the game to Barca. If they do that, I can see them winning. Let Barca come at you - just be sure to give it back.

I hope that happens because Barca will win like 4-0 if it does :shifty:

Nah it's true, so many teams have lost before a ball is kicked with Barcelona.

Some of the "defend and hope for the best" attitudes I've heard from some Man Utd fans is ridiculous, and living in Carlisle I know too many Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I really should for my own sanity but some of the comments "We stand a chance over 90 minutes" and "Clog up the midfield and hit them on the counter.." etc.

It's the Champions League final. The two best European teams going at it, and in my opinion these two are probably the finest two teams in Europe, and one of them seems to be "hoping". You're Man Utd, one of the greatest names in World football (God I shouldn't stroke your already inflated egos too much I know) go out there and bloody play like a World Class football team. Fergie didn't get this far in the business by "hoping" and you can bet that he's going to have played this match out so many times already it's uncountable.

I'm not going to try and turn into an analyst or expert, but the one thing I do think is Man Utd need to make sure they haven't had a player like Rooney/Scholes/Fletcher whoever booked 20 minutes in because they need 11 men on the pitch. Keep their heads and focus on the game plan and try and ignore Barca's inevitable diving and imaginary card calling and they'll be in with a shot. If Rooney scythes down Busquets within 10 minutes and is booked, then you're limiting the players and it's going to show as the match wears on. Just my two cents at least. If I am watching Man Utd play on the counter against a rampant Barca team, I'll probably turn it off and go find something better to do anyways.

GK:Van Der Sar

RB:?

LB:Evra

CB:Rio

CB:Vidic

LW:Park

RW:Valencia

CM:Giggs

CM:Carrick

CF:Rooney

CF:Hernandez

I am certain that this is the line-up that's going to face Barcelona which sadly means Darren Fletcher again misses out, poor guy...not sure whose going to get the nod at right back O'Shea certainly has the experience but Sir Alex seems to be giving Fabio a real go recently and he might be a shock inclusion

I definitely think one of the twins will play if fit just because they're quicker than O'Shea and you don't necessarily need too much height against Barca either. Fabio looks favourite to play at the moment.

• Admin
Uefa has launched a disciplinary case against Barcelona's Sergio Busquets over alleged racism in the Champions League semi-final with Real Madrid.

Real posted a video on their website before the second leg showing Busquets allegedly calling full-back Marcelo "mono" (monkey) in the first leg.

The case will be heard on Sunday with a decision due the next day.

The incident was one of several in a heated tie between the Spanish rivals, which Barca won 3-1 on aggregate.

Both clubs lodged complaints to European football's governing body after an ill-tempered first leg at the Bernabeu, which was won 2-0 by Barcelona.

Madrid were unhappy with the behaviour of the opposing players and the red card shown to midfielder Pepe (one of three dismissals during the game, along with Barca reserve goalkeeper Jose Pinto and Real coach Jose Mourinho).

Barca protested over Mourinho's post-match comments alluding to favours from Uefa in big Champions League games and questioning the Catalan club's relationship with the European governing body.

The complaints were dismissed by Uefa, with Mourinho later handed a five-game European ban for his remarks.

The former Chelsea and Inter Milan boss chose not to speak to the media ahead of the second leg of the semi-final at the Nou Camp, which finished 1-1, thus booking Barca's place in the Champions League final at Wembley, where they will play Manchester United.

Instead, it was left to Mourinho's assistant Aitor Karanka to bemoan Uefa's decision not to act on Real's claims of gamesmanship by Barcelona's players.

He said: "The match has been overshadowed by Uefa's resolution - it's on another plane now.

"We have been punished [with the suspensions for Pepe, Sergio Ramos and Mourinho], but there are [barcelona] players who didn't respect the principles of fair play or who made racist insults, covering their mouths, who will be on the pitch.

"We say over and over there are double standards."

However, Barca coach Pep Guardiola countered by defending his players.

"My players are an example of professionalism and honesty," he said.

"Real might think we are unsporting but I think exactly the opposite. Fourteen of 20 players in the squad have grown up in this house and they all respect the values of the house.

"Mourinho was at Barcelona for five years and he knows our values: to win, fight and earn respect by respecting your rival."