NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

TSN is passing it as likely that Kaberle will resign and I wouldn't be stunned if Boston goes deep anyway and Toronto gets the conditional pick. It's interesting to to think of this as a two-phase trade where Toronto gives up Kaberle (after an "extended lease" period) and a pair of high firsts (Seguin and TBD) plus a second (Knight). Boston sends Kessel, a pair of mid to late firsts (Colborne and TBD), plus a potential second (TBD).

Does it spoil the party pointing out that Toronto is finally stockpiling picks in what is considered one of the weaker draft years in recent history?

The tandem of Chara and Kaberle on Boston's PP is going to be scary for a lot of teams, should be fun to watch them work together since it seems to be a contributing factor for Kaberle's choice.

Guest mr. potato head

I haven't had much chance to see the Avs this year, but was Andy really that bad that they had to ship him out? Over Budaj? I know he hadn't been as good as last year, but last year was a complete shock, surely it would have been better to ride out this lsot season and see if he could come back better next year?

Anderson was almost certainly a one-year wonder, but he was still passable this year. At least compared to Elliott, who is, always has been, and always will be shit.

Also c-heat, where have you heard that there's a lack of depth in the draft this year? I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious if it's being based on anything more than the lack of a Stamkos/Tavares-type.

No real proof other than everybody speculating, but it's being talked about everywhere. Whether you watch Hockey On Vers, NHLnet, MSG, MSG2, they've all mentioned that this draft could potentially be weak.

However, I'm sure it's more about the draft not being top heavy rather than lack of depth

I'm sad to see Kaberle leave. He has been one of the best defencemen in Leafs franchise history. Only Borje Salming put up better numbers.

Colborne is a good project, and it will fun to see what he does with the Marlies. The first round pick will be low like the Philly pick, but it is still a first round pick. I think the Leafs staff did good last year without a first rounder, and this time they might pick twice. Burke could also flip the picks to move up or pick up a player.

Also c-heat, where have you heard that there's a lack of depth in the draft this year? I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious if it's being based on anything more than the lack of a Stamkos/Tavares-type.

I might read too many comment boards but I feel like it's something at least a few reporters and media types have acknowledged. The lack of a standout superstar number one is probably part of it, but every scouting report and draft projection I've seen has a lot of disparity between all the others and no one outside of the top four or so seem entrenched in a place. It might just be a failure of the media machine to find anyone to get behind. Obviously it's not to say there won't be good players available, but that picks are really being thrown around at the moment like currency suggests to me some GMs aren't blown away by what they see especially if they have a pick in the middle or later parts of the round.

Avs have traded a good goalie playing badly for a bad goalie. Anderson for Elliott.

...Well at least we won't be disappointed when the goalie plays badly now. It'll be expected.

What in the fuck?!?!

They had to have gotten something else in that deal.

Yeah, i came in here and thought pez was joking. This is just stupid.

This is a straight-up 1-for-1 trade in which Goofy Greg Sherman (trademark) overpays again. Flash for Hannan was overpaying, That young prospect we traded for Hunwick was a steal for Boston (Colby Cohen I think?) and now this.

There is one advantage in that Elliott is RFA next season so if he happens to find a groove then we don't risk having him walk.

I'm only pointing out that in the opinion of lots of people following the league this draft is a bit of a crapshoot without a lot of obvious standout players. I was more curious if Toronto's ability to scoop up first round picks had anything to do with a perception the draft wasn't strong. It's undeniable that there's a lack of hype for this year and that's not meant to disparage any of the eligible players.

On second thought, I probably am just a downer.

Dragsy, you might not want to see this.

Hours after sending captain Eric Brewer to Tampa Bay for junior defenseman Brock Beukeboom and a draft pick, the Blues dealt Johnson, also a defenseman, to the Avs along with forward Jay McClement and a first-round pick for rookie defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, third-year forward Chris Stewart and a second-round pick

Again, nothing is going to be left for the deadline.

You guys lost the forward deal but Erik Johnson is sex on ice IMO so I think you win the backend of that trade.

Actually, Lee Sweatt is our defensemen with the least amount of games played, at 3. Foppa retired after 2. >_>