NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Tim Brent put on a shot blocking clinic tonight. That 30 seconds or so of action changed my mood entirely about the season. Sure, the team is struggling and will be lucky to be even six points out of a playoff spot, but it is still fun to watch the games when you see a player like Brent put forth such an amazing effort.

Also,

is hilarious, specifically 1:25. DiPietro is laughing and having a good time, but BRENT JOHNSON IS A STONE COLD KILLER.

Also,

is hilarious, specifically 1:25. DiPietro is laughing and having a good time, but BRENT JOHNSON IS A STONE COLD KILLER.

When I saw the video I was joking that he would be injured.

Guess what?

Out 4-6 weeks with a facial fracture and knee swelling.

The Leafs have sent Jonas Gustavsson to the AHL on a conditioning stint, so it looks like Reimer and Giggy will be carrying the work load for the next two weeks.

Hopefully The Monster can find his game again. Until then? Reimer is the guy we wanna play! Apparently he is getting the start on Saturday.

And apparently Reimer gave away his stick after the win last night...classy guy.

Leafs trade Beauchemin to Ducks

The first domino appears to have fallen prior to the NHL trade deadline as the Toronto Maple Leafs have shipped defenceman Francois Beauchemin back to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul, defenceman Jake Gardiner and a conditional fourth-round draft pick in the 2013 Entry Draft.

The 30-year old Beauchemin struggled during his time in Toronto after signing as a free agent in 2009, however he helped the Ducks capture the Stanley Cup in 2007.

A stay-at-home defender, the Sorel, Quebec native has two goals and 10 assists in 54games this season with the Leafs.

Originally selected in the third round, 75th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Beauchemin has 27 goals and 99 assists in 373 career games split between the Canadiens, Columbus Blue Jackets, Ducks and Maple Leafs.

Meanwhile the 27-year old Lupul who missed 24 games earlier in the season following back surgery has five goals and eight assists in 26 games this season.

Originally a first round pick, seventh overall by the Ducks in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, the Fort Saskatchewan native has 117 goals and 121 assists in 421 career games between the Ducks, Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers.

The 20-year old Gardiner, who is among the Ducks top defensive prospects, currently plays for the University of Wisconsin where he has seven goals and 23 assists in 30 games this season. He was selected in the first round, 17th overall, by Anaheim in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Coming off a good stretch (4 wins in 5 games), it is good to see Burke is maintaining his cool and continuing to rebuild. Gardiner sounds like a highly rated prospect and was the 17th overall pick in 2008. Lupul is an upgrade on Joey Crabb on the wing, but he is more of a salary swap then anything.

When I heard of the trade, I was worried since Beauch was eating up a ton of minutes. His stats don't show that he was always playing against the toughest opponents for us. Looking at the Leafs now, we have a good group of defenders aged 25 or under. Schenn and Phaneuf are already NHL regulars (and Dion is looking better and better each week), and then the Leafs have Gunnarson and Aulie who are looking like they are close to being NHL ready. Gardiner joins Blacker and Gysbers as good prospects coming up.

I came in ehre to post FOPPA about 8000 times, but given our past two results, I'd rather blow my brains out.

Colorado is going to have a tough go getting into the playoffs, and Forsberg is a complete X-factor. I have no idea how much he will bring to the table. If he has lost a step, then I see this as a final swan song. If he still has his hands and skill, then Foppa could give the Avs two or three more wins and push them over the edge.

He can always play point on the powerplay, just expect to give up a fair number of shorties if he does.

GYS said Boston/Montreal was GOTY and from watching the highlights, I can't disagree. How often do you hear the words "97 to 95" mentioned in terms of scoring hockey?