2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

All the NBA teams that don't have a chance should trade all their good players to the Bulls or the Suns or the Magic, make some absurdly top loaded league with 8 teams capable of winning games and the other 20 odd playing in front of flies and just trying to have fun and not hurt anyone. -_-

The Clippers aren't fucked. Well, not any more fucked than usual. They actually have a decent roster, as always, their issue is coaching and management.

Baron Davis

Eric Gordon

SF

Blake Griffin

Chris Kaman

Not completely horrible. You could make the playoffs in either conference with that squad, depending on health.

I have a serious question for you, DMN. Are there any actual Clipper diehards out there? They seem to be the Islanders to the Laker's Rangers. (I've honestly never met an Islander or Clipper fan in my travels).

And yes, I know they have fans, but it just seems their fanbase is miniscule.

I'm going to add on because the question sounds retarded if I don't. In New York, you have a plethora of Yankee and Mets fans. Same with the divide of Giants/Jets fans. But it seems like an incredibly lopsided divide over there when it comes to Lakers/Clippers.

Billy Crystal is a big Clipper fan. There aren't many 'die hards', I dunno. Its strange, no one dislikes the Clips, but they barely even register in the public consciousness. No team would be more helped by a move then the Clippers.

If Derek Fisher goes to Miami, dude can forget about being loved in LA. Considering LA can probably offer him more money, a better chance to win, and the fact that he'd be leaving LA, that'd be dirty.

Gilbert is just displaying his anger publicly because behind the scenes he can't believe he paid all that money for a sports team in Cleveland.

To be fair, having a sports team in Cleveland doesn't come at a premium anyway.

How much more of a market is Cleveland compared to say... Omaha? Salt Lake City?

What pro team plays in Omaha? Gilbert spent a ton of money buying the Cavs figuring he'd be milking LeBron for the next 10 years for everything he's worth. The plan backfired.

I was arguing in terms of market size and prestige. I could be understating things, but Cleveland isn't really the hotbed of anything.

He did pay $375 million for the team in 2005.

I have a serious question for you, DMN. Are there any actual Clipper diehards out there? They seem to be the Islanders to the Laker's Rangers. (I've honestly never met an Islander or Clipper fan in my travels).

And yes, I know they have fans, but it just seems their fanbase is miniscule.

I'm going to add on because the question sounds retarded if I don't. In New York, you have a plethora of Yankee and Mets fans. Same with the divide of Giants/Jets fans. But it seems like an incredibly lopsided divide over there when it comes to Lakers/Clippers.

Problem there is that Jets/Mets have actually been good. Up until the 90s New York was still a heavy National League town. Mets were a far bigger draw then the Yankees were. Clippers have just sucked and no one likes the owner.

I think I'm the board's only Islanders fan. :(

Fact, I live in NJ but have only met one Islanders fan in my 10 years here.

D-Fish wouldn't be able to talk his way out of leaving LA for Miami. The Utah thing gets overblown, but if he left LA for the opposition his rep would be tarnished. Given the recent turn of events, expect him to sign with the Heat tomorrow afternoon :shifty:

If Fish signs with Miami for the veteran minimum, I'll seriously lose all respect for the man. He wouldn't be leaving for more money, or a better situation. The man is as beloved as a career roleplayer could ever be. He's basically MADE for life as a Laker. No, he's not Magic, Kobe, West, Kareem, or even James Worthy, but he's right there below them, especially with the big time shots he's made.

It would be like slapping the city in the face. Almost worse, to me, than LeBron.

Kyle Korver signed with the Bulls, 3 years total of $15 million. Another good signing for them, he's a great shooter to have coming off the bench.

And if Fisher goes to Miami does he cite Steve Blake or the desire to be part of "something special" as his reason for not returning to the Lakers?

Edited by damshow

'To be part of something special' would be a bullshit excuse. He's already part of something special. How many players have been part of two three-peats? Fuck that, LA has something special, Miami has a chance at something special.

Steve Blake would be Fish's back-up, yeah, he'll get a lot of minutes, but Fish would be in at crunch time. Another bullshit excuse.

It sounds trite, but for Fish's legacy, which only matters in LA, he needs to either stay, or retire. Going to Miami would be burning any bridge with the fans.

And if Fisher goes to Miami does he cite Steve Blake or the desire to be part of "something special" as his reason for not returning to the Lakers?

I don't think anyone would believe him. I'd call being part of the 2x defending champs "something special", especially when you're in the midst of a streak of 3 straight Finals appearances and the odds on favorites to get back for a 4th straight year. I also don't see how leaving for Miami would be to look forward to a "bigger challenge", and he certainly wouldn't be going for the payday so there's not logical reason for him to leave unless LA doesn't want him back.