Metacritic's Worst 200 movies

Liam

While I don't agree with some selections on the list (Billy Madison, the on true stand-out) it's a pretty spot-on list. I, like many others, have also topped out at Bio-Dome.

Yeah, so, going on the assumption that "seen" does not directly represent "watched the whole way through", but rather represents more of a "watched at least one hour of, or as much as you could before giving up" stipulation, I... kind-of have seen quite a few of these. Like others though, I topped out at Bio-Dome.

I'll go ahead and bold the ones I liked at least. The remainder I either didn't like, or didn't finish watching the whole way through.

1. Bio-Dome

9. Baby Geniuses

20. Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2

26. Date Movie

27. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

- (Campy as fuck and definitely an awful movie in hindsight, but I was young when I saw it and I loved it)

32. The Adventures of Pluto Nash

42. Freddy Got Fingered

74. Kangaroo Jack

77. Harlem Nights

82. Showgirls

83. Billy Madison

- (Eh, it's an Adam Sandler movie. It was... it was okay.)

85. Urban Legends: Final Cut

86. Half Baked

- (God did this get boring in parts, but for what it was worth I got some chuckles out of it)

120. Ultraviolet

132. Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd

139. Good Luck Chuck

146. Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat

150. Digimon: The Movie

- (HOW VERY DARE THEY PUT THIS FUCKING MOVIE ON THE LIST, I FUCKING LOVED THE DIGIMON MOVIE AND THEY CAN SUCK A THOUSAND COCKS FOR SPEAKING ILL OF IT)

154. Joe Dirt

- (By no rights was it a bad movie for me... I mean, I got some laughs out of it. I just can't watch it more than every rare now and then)

156. Son of the Mask

178. National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj

- (Hey, this movie was actually funny damn it. Then again I do like Taj's character. Wasn't as good as the first though)

197. Christmas with the Kranks

200. Out Cold

- (Damn it, I liked this movie too. What the hell, Metacritic)

• Like 1

Half Baked being on this list is a fucking crime against humanity. There, I said it.

And having read it all, I think Christmas with the Kranks might be the worst on the list. I've never had a movie make me as actually angry as that one.

Edited by Sousa

Seen Yu-Gi-Oh, Boat Trip and Christmas with the Kranks. As bad as the YGO Movie is in terms of its plot, it's certainly not in the top 75 worst movies ever. Similarly, I actually enjoyed Christmas with the Kranks, what can I say...it was a nice little laugh. Boat Trip was abysmal though.

ETA: I should point out all the bits with Tim Allen were the worst bits of Christmas with the Kranks. Which unfortunately is a lot of the movie, but...yeah...

Edited by Katsuya

The problem with Christmas with the Kranks was that it had exactly zero likable characters in it. Usually even in a bad movie, I can go "Well, hey, at least ____________ was kind of cool." Christmas with the Kranks was so cynical and crass that even the old woman with cancer ended up feeling more like a marketing move than a person.

Half Baked being on this list is a fucking crime against humanity. There, I said it.

And having read it all, I think Christmas with the Kranks might be the worst on the list. I've never had a movie make me as actually angry as that one.

Then don't watch Ecks vs Sever. That is by far the worst movie of all time. That one made me feel so very angry.

Remember folks, this isn't a definitive list compiled of the worst movies - it's the worst reviewed movies featured on Metacritic. Therefore, it's going to heavily feature movies released after 1999 and movies that were reviewed by a handful of critics. So their list is a 'worst of movies compiled on metacritic with more than 7 reviews since 1999' rather than the worst movies of all time. Chances are if you liked a lot of the movies featured on this list, you probably don't care too much about what critics have to say about movies.

The only movie I saw on the list that I absolutely adored was Freddy Got Fingered. It's sadistic, over the top and just so absurd. The reasons the reviewers hate the film are the exact same reasons it was made - it was meant to be juvenile and disturbing and classless.

I much prefer this list: http://features.metacritic.com/features/2010/15-movies-the-critics-got-wrong/?tag=topslot;title;1 . It recaps the movies that Metacritic feels the critics got wrong. I've seen pretty much every movie on that list and agree that they were underrated by the critics.

Then don't watch Ecks vs Sever. That is by far the worst movie of all time. That one made me feel so very angry.

I enjoyed that very much actually, must be my mancrush on Antonio Banderas.

I enjoyed that very much actually, must be my mancrush on Antonio Banderas.

You see what liking that movie did to the board? You bastard.

I don't envy your masochism.

27. Mortal Kombat Annihilation (Johnny Cage died and I immediately stopped caring about it)

49. From Justin To Kelly (a friend and I watched it for Bad Movie Night. It certainly lived up to expectations.)

150. Digimon: The Movie (it was what it was. I enjoyed it well enough but I was thirteen at the time.)

I think the only one I've seen properly is

120. Ultraviolet

And yes, it was really terrible. Virtually all of the dialogue was of the kind that had clearly never been tried out loud before being approved and filmed.

I've seen:

5. Vulgar - truly a terrible, terrible movie.

27. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation - hilariously terrible, though I liked it when I was 13.

68. Blair Witch 2 - really funny to watch now if you're a Burn Notice fan.

69. Beverly Hills Cop 3 - I think I saw this at a drive-in and fell asleep on the roof of a van.

82. Showgirls - This should be in the top 10, easily.

83. Billy Madison - Oh come on! Billy Madison was funny at the time and holds up surprisingly well. Sure, it's for a niche audience, but it's not bad.

98. Bless the Child - yeah, this movie sucked shit.

154. Joe Dirt - I watched this movie in segments out of order, but this bar I used to go to for work events had it on every... fucking... day.

179. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - I wish I hadn't seen this movie that summer.

1. Bio-Dome 1996

5. Vulgar 2002

36. Strange Wilderness 2008

42. Freddy Got Fingered 2001

53. Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist 2002

61. Carpool 1996

83. Billy Madison 1995

86. Half Baked 1998

105. See No Evil 2006

119. Gigli 2003

132. Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd 2003

148. Vegas Vacation 1997

154. Joe Dirt 2001

191. Cabin Boy 1994

Saw those. The only one I really hated was Freddy Got Fingered. I can't understand why Vegas Vacation was on the list- it's not a classic or anything, but it's completely inoffensive. I need to see Carpool again, I remember it ruling.

EDIT: And second the outrage over Billy Madison's inclusion. Growing up Jewish in the suburbs in the 1990s, I know that movie better than fundamentalists know their religious texts. Some kind of heartless fucks marked that one down. In closing, I award them no points, and may God have mercy on their souls.