World Cup 2010 Thread

First off, fuck yeah, Argentina! I really hope someone plays right back next game, just as long as I don't have to cringe every time Gutierez gets the ball. Poor Messi, still can't get a bloody goal. Hope Greece somehow fluke it to the second round. If Nigeria beat Korea 1-0, Greece'll go through, right?

Its up to the officials, generally I would say if the original kick/header/whatever was heading towards the goal before the deflection then it should be given to the original striker of the ball. If it isn't heading towards goal give it to the person it has deflected off. But again, thats just what I reckon :/

Yeah, if a shot is on target, it'll be given to the original shot-taker.

If you have a bet on, companies normally go with the "press association", so if they award a goal to the person you picked, you can collect your winnings, even if the goal is taken off that person and deemed an own goal in the future.

EDIT: Here comes Chicharito! - Also, anyone else think Mark Bright is a giant cock?

The exception being if the goalkeeper was pretty much guaranteed to have saved the shot had it not been deflected (a la the first Greek goal earlier). If it takes a MASSIVE deflection that changes the flight of the ball dramatically, then it's usually awarded to the guy that deflected it. Although this is often not the case if the guy that deflected it was on the opposing side and it was accidental. For example, if it was going in, but then a defender tries to clear it and it goes in off his foot, that's an own goal. Or if a cross comes in that was on target, but the goalkeeper had it covered, and a second striker taps it in the opposite corner, that's the second strikers goal.

But usually if a shot is on target, and takes one or more small deflections, it's awarded to the guy who made the original attempt.