World Cup 2010 Thread

It wasn't the best game in terms of overall play, but based on who it was and the "story" of the match, I'm saying this is the best match of the tournament so far. It's a shame that Korea couldn't get the draw, but they did themselves very, very proud out there and kept on going until the end, as the goal proved.

I had thought Brazil would be less than their normal mighty selves, but I never thought for a minute that people would be backing North Korea for most of it. Quite a good game, the first half was dreary but they opened up in the second, some really good pieces of skill from the Brazil side, and a well deserved goal for North Korea. Jong Tae-Se looked really desperate in the final minutes, understandable though but I wonder what would have happened if he didn't rush into his shots.

Goooooooooal! They fucking deserved that. Shame it wasn't the #9 though. :(

I would love him at Blackburn. Worked very hard, got some muscle to him and has a good shot on him.

EDIT - Also, he shouldn't cost much. >_>

Can't be bothered reading all the comments, only read a few and so commenting on those and on the game.

I am pissed that I didn't get all the money I COULD have, had Korea scored first after keeping it a draw until half time (Yes I'm half a prediction GOD). Everyone saying they were an instant write-off and laughing at them, well wow. I know that all the footie analysts were acting surprised too, but I'm not really THAT sure why. Of the three teams in the group to keep Brazil neutralised it was always going to be the weakest team that would employ a 5 man defence and then to stick some players in the centre so that you are giving an out of shape Kaka and out of position Bastos. Okay it's still the best versus the worst in the tournament, but add on the pressure of a dictator and they're going to give it their all and they really did so much. Far more than I had expected, but the claims of "5-0" and such like are craazy.

The bits I didn't expect were Tai Se to be so good at attacking and it's such a shame that they are in such a difficult group. I fully believe that had they not been thrown into a group with such talent that they would have been part of some of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. As it stands, I feel that if they give the same kind of game against Ivory Coast and Portugal that they stand a chance of coming back next time and doing a lot better. It's defininitely a four team race still, but it'd require Brazil to get all nine points and then Korea to scab a win somewhere.

Anyways, I'm just ranting because it could have been a good earner for me. Oh and Maicon's goal PAH! Looked more like an intended cross, and given this ball, it would surprise me ¬_¬. If Tai Se had himself a partner, some of his early runs might have made it into the bloody net.

North Korea vs Japan would also be difficult.

After the war, Japan sent many people over to Korea to help with rebuilding as a gesture of goodwill because of all the atrocities Japan had carried out over the previous 60 years.

Then North and South Korea go to war and the country is split.

Then many of the Japanese who found themselves in North Korea were killed.

It didn't go down very well.

The Japanese love the South Koreans, they totally distrust the North Koreans.

• Admin

But Japan and DPR do recognise that the other exists. It would just be a very high tensin, awkward match (see USA/Iran and France '98). My point was that as far as I'm aware, DPR doesn't even see the South as a recognised state.

Might gave the games a miss tonight. State of Origin is on and I think I need a break from this dull spectacle of a World Cup.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was also a little confused by how people were viewing the game between Brazil and North Korea. I had some guys come into the betting shop looking for prices on bets like 8-0 or 9-0 Brazil, which I quickly warned them off. The one thing Korea were renowned for was a really solid defence, and the were always going to work hard and essentially park the bus for long parts, and it was always going to be tougher than it seemed.