World Cup 2010 Thread

I think it's just every single team is shit scared of making any mistake and therefore they just play safe. Problem with that is that you then put lots of pressure on yourself later on. I would rather see teams try out some more pressing action (like I had hoped for Ivory Coast when they started pressing at the start of the second half.) right from the get-go and dictate the pace of the match. If that doesn't work you still have a second half (and the rest of the group stages) to make up for it, but right now the only team that has been entertaining has been Germany.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Only good thing about all this draws and 1-0 results, the next phase is basically a win or die phase for a lot of teams. That should bring the quality of the games up and make teams take more chances. A win basically gets you in to the next round.

The typical World Cup template is that the amount of goals decreases come the final 16 as that's when sudden death kicks in, one fuck up could really be it for a team. Without Germany's game, the current goal average is 1.45 with the amount of shots on target probably nearly the same. The average goals per match for Italia 90 was 2.21, so South Africa 2010 is well on course to being the least eventful World Cup ever.

In fairness, there were 30 seconds left of injury time when the corner was about to be taken. Then the Ivorian player went down injured for a minute and the ref didn't let the extra 30seconds be played and just blew the whistle after 5. There should have been time for them to take the short corner and still swing in a cross.

Also, Brazil best destroy North Korea tonight! New Zealand have already cost me a tenner due to that late goal and I don't wanna lose any more money. This has been a tough World Cup to bet on because every game is so tight.

Edited by Dynamite

In fairness, there were 30 seconds left of injury time when the corner was about to be taken. Then the Ivorian player went down injured for a minute and the ref didn't let the extra 30seconds be played and just blew the whistle after 5. There should have been time for them to take the short corner and still swing in a cross.

Also, Brazil best destroy North Korea tonight! New Zealand have already cost me a tenner due to that late goal and I don't wanna lose any more money. This has been a tough World Cup to bet on because every game is so tight.

You are so wrong on that. The Ivorian went down so that they had time to take the corner, and if it didn't work out, then the clearance would have ended the game, just so they could have EVERY man in for the corner, and avoid a fast break counter.

And then the idiots taking the corner took a short one and had the whistle blown. Perfect decision by the referee, stupid decision by the Ivorians.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil 'only' won by three or four tonight. Under Dunga they're basically built to counter attack and nail teams at set pieces, and North Korea are going to load the defence with almost everyone back on the edge of their own box.

Mark the protugal game as the next game i literaly fell asleep while watching.

Really? That was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament so far. You guys are expecting way too much. Only 1 match had more than 2 goals I think and that was Germany against an old defensive side with one player who doesn't even have a club (Moore) and on sea level, so no trouble with the altitude.

If there's less than 5 goals here, I'll be highly disappointed, someone other than Germany has to help end this borefest.

We have a crier! Probably because his whole family was kidnapped and will be killed unless they win.

Edited by The Cool One

Interestingly, I was listening to the Portugal/Cote d'Ivoire game on 5Live, and it was consistantly put over by the commentators as virtually the worst match in the history of all sport.

Interestingly, I was listening to the Portugal/Cote d'Ivoire game on 5Live, and it was consistantly put over by the commentators as virtually the worst match in the history of all sport.

I guess they didn't watch Algeria/Slovenia, or Japan/Cameroon.

Or Serbia/Ghana, or France/Uruguay. Portugal/Ivory Coast has been a middle of the road match in comparison to the rest of the tournament.