World Cup 2010 Thread

How were Holland tactically out classing the Spanish?

Spain 60% of possession, Dutch 40%

Spain had more shots on target, more off target, the Dutch should have had 2 players sent off and not one (that kick to the chest in the first half was diabolical) The Dutch commited almost 50% more fouls than the Spanish, spain deserved it, stop being bitter losers the pair of you. :P

Guess you didn't watch Inter Milan - Bayern Munich, Inter had like 39% possession and won, they outclassed Bayern, although Webb also killed that game with his shitty reffing. By the way, if the US or England were in the final and lost like this, you guys would be pissed too. Puyol should've been sent off, I don't care about De Jong's foul. Also the goal was fucked, but I guess I'm the only who sees this?

Holland could have had 3-4 Red or Yellow Red Cards.

Only de Jong, that's it. But fine I'll stop, after this;

the goal came after Sneijder's shot clearly bounced off the Spanish wall and a corner wasn't given. How crosseyed can those referees be?

I'm done now.

Sneijder should have been sent off in the first half, then we wouldn't have had this argument at all... That kick was disgusting.

There also was a revenge Foul that should also have been a clear red card.

And Robben could have gotten his second yellow for scoring the goal long after he was given offside.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Ahahahahahahahhaha. Sorry, but only two Dutchmen could say that.

SCREWED OVER BY HOWARD WEBB?!

READ!!

I said the game was ruined by Webb, he was just pure shite, for both teams, I never said we got screwed.

Ahahahahahahahhaha. Sorry, but only two Dutchmen could say that.

SCREWED OVER BY HOWARD WEBB?!

READ!!

I said the game was ruined by Webb, he was just pure shite, for both teams, I never said we got screwed.

Far from fair Rich, this is probably the most undeserving world cup victory in history, all biasness aside, Holland outplayed Spain and deserved it much more.

Webb ruined what should've been a good game too.

You pretty much did claiming it was an undeserving win.

and Holland outplayed Spain

And Deserved it much more.

None of these are true.

Only thing the Dutch deserved more, was extra red cards.

Spain were a million times better than Holland. The entire dutch tactics seemed to be hacking fuck out of the spanish. Twice, twice Robben got through the defense, one on one with the keeper, and he fails to do anything about it. If he thought Puyol fouled him he shouldn't have kept on his feet, playing the advantage. You can't have it both ways, he took the advantage and still couldn't do anything about it.

Spain weren't playing at their best, but they were far from outclassed from Holland. The times the dutch had possesion, they couldn't do much with it. Robben is as predictable as fuck, run outside down the wing, try to cut in left and instantly lose it. He was found out against the Brazilians, and still hasn't learnt any new tricks. I'm disappointed that Iniesta dived, because he has had some lovely touches, some backpasses that were really inspired, but still Spain's passing game was not as great as it normally is. They still were the better side, Villa broke through the defense at least three times in the first half, Iniesta had a shot earlier on that he should have taken rather than trying to cut in, Ramos should have buried the header etc etc. Spain were the better side, to me.

I'm obviously glad that Spain won, they've been consistently amazing, even if they have had to grind out results, they still did grind them out. A shame that Villa didn't get his last goal, and that Torres seemed to aggravate his injuries, but still. Well done Spain, thouroughly deserved victory.

Muller gets the golden boot, having had more assists than Villa. Forlan looks to be taking the Ballon D'or.

If my friends are to be believed, the title of the biggest jackass in recent history of sports has now been shifted from Sidney Crosby to Andres Iniesta.

My opinion?

FUCK YES, SPAIN!

LeBron James retired that title earlier this week, but I'm glad Spain won since the Netherlands seemed to think this was rugby or Aussie rules football.

I really cannot believe people said that Holland were better. They were played off the park and played like animals! Sure Spain weren't having the best game ever but at least they weren't trying to hurt people eg. De Jong (I'll admit that even though I am a Man City fan) and a few others. Plus then there was Arjen Robben, Twice he got through and twice he missed! Holland did not deserve a thing, Other than like Rich. rightly said a few more red cards, Spain were fully deserving to be winners!

I swapped teams when Braafheid was brought on for van Bronckhorst. Can't believe that happened.

Very good work by Spain, managed to win the World Cup without Torres (arguably their biggest player).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Spain utterly, utterly deserved that win. Their finishing might have been shit, but they had more chances, the better defense, and didn't have to resort to thuggery.

New Zealand is the only team to not lose a game. Awesome.

Considering you can't finish between second and 15th without losing a game, not that awesome. :/

Spain utterly, utterly deserved that win. Their finishing might have been shit, but they had more chances, the better defense, and didn't have to resort to thuggery.

New Zealand is the only team to not lose a game. Awesome.

Considering you can't finish between second and 15th without losing a game, not that awesome. :/

Yeah but still....It's quite a cool achievement to have :)

I really cannot believe people said that Holland were better. They were played off the park and played like animals! Sure Spain weren't having the best game ever but at least they weren't trying to hurt people eg. De Jong (I'll admit that even though I am a Man City fan) and a few others. Plus then there was Arjen Robben, Twice he got through and twice he missed! Holland did not deserve a thing, Other than like Rich. rightly said a few more red cards, Spain were fully deserving to be winners!

Like animals....after the first half what happened? Seriously? This "animals" shit needs to stop, after their yellow cards Bommel and De Jong didn't do anything. Van der Wiel and Gio got yellow because of a diving Iniesta.

I swapped teams when Braafheid was brought on for van Bronckhorst. Can't believe that happened.

Very good work by Spain, managed to win the World Cup without Torres (arguably their biggest player).

Van Bronckhorst got injured.

I also lolled at someone here calling Robben predictable. He had two great shots on goal and went through on goal twice, although he only got a fair shot the first time. How is that predictable?

Like animals....after the first half what happened? Seriously? This "animals" shit needs to stop, after their yellow cards Bommel and De Jong didn't do anything. Van der Wiel and Gio got yellow because of a diving Iniesta.

Van Bommel's stamp on Iniesta's ankle?

Van Bommel's stamp on Iniesta's ankle?

When? I honestly can't recall.

But whatever, Spain won, it's over.

What a blow that must have been. Playing your last match ever, in a World Cup Final of all places, and you get taken off...for Braafheid. Poor Gio :(

I also lolled at someone here calling Robben predictable. He had two great shots on goal and went through on goal twice, although he only got a fair shot the first time. How is that predictable?

Because of the reasons I gave? He plays the exact same way, you saw it happen like, four times in a row in the second half, he ran down the wing with the ball, tried to cut in and instantly lost the ball. It didn't pan out for him once. He went through twice, yeah okay, but at least once he was played in with a lob from I'm gonna guess and say Van Persie. It might have been both times but I'll give the benefit of the doubt since I can't remember exactly the set up for the second one, but either way, what did he do with it? He got off one shot, and it wasn't the best. Everytime he tries to create something himself he does the same thing. Outside, outside, outside, cut in, lose ball. It's as if he doesn't know how to cross the ball. He was exactly the same against Brazil. He's predictable.

I honestly don't remember Van der Wiel's yellow that much, but Van Bronkhorst did go out of his way to pull the player back - that's a yellow card.

Van Bommel I wasn't so bothered about it only being a yellow, but De Jong's was a red.

Similarly, though, Puyol should have gone for his professional foul on Robben.

Then it comes back to Robben, who REALLY should have been booked again for kicking the ball away.

As for the game, I thought Webb did an okay job at trying to not have the World Cup end with only half the players on the pitch. Only big mistake I think he made was the free-kick into the wall that should've been a corner.

Ah well. In all honesty, Spain were better on the night, though the best team in tournament for me came third, and the 3rd/4th place play-off totally outshone the final.

I don't watch the sport all that often and even I knew Robben would always cut inside from the wing and shoot with his left. If I knew that, I'm sure his opponents did too. The Dutch team had many opportunities to shoot, but they always played to their dominant foot and gave the defense time to recover.

I went into the game supporting Holland, but actually watching the game caused me to switch sides.

Holland should have only had 8 or 9 players on the pitch by the time the goal happened. There are people on Facebook whining over the goal-kick-that-should-have-been-a-corner, which seems utterly pointless to me.

The decisions weren't all perfect, but Spain deserved to win.

Same. I'm such a flakey football fan. Outside of my support for Liverpool and Bristol City and eternal hatred for Bristol Rovers, my allegiances change more than should be allowed. Really didn't want Spain to win but as the match progressed I wanted them to. Really glad Iniesta scored as well, such a classy player and easily my favourite in the Spain squad (who actually plays... my man love for Reina is really getting rather scary) and the Jarque tribute was a nice touch.

Also really glad for Forlan to get the Golden Ball. World class player, fantastic engine, and because I don't watch much Spanish football I had no idea he was so good creatively either. Dragged Uruguay into the semi finals on his own. I know they had an easy route but they're fucking Uruguay. They finished 5th in qualifying and had to beat Costa Rica to qualify! What exactly is easy for them? :/

This is the first World Cup I've followed to a somewhat obsessive degree. I was too young in 98, 2002 was around the time I started to fall out of love with footie for a couple of years and in 2006 I had too much other shit in the way. It hasn't been the best football wise but I've loved it anyway and I'm absolutely gutted it's over. There's only a short wait until the Prem starts now but still, it doesn't really compare to having games on every day. I think I actually enjoyed it more because England were out. Bias towards our representatives is a massive turn-off for me in every sport. I don't watch games like Uruguay-Ghana to hear about Wayne Rooney, so I'm glad we were gone by then to be honest.

And we wouldn't take a blind bit of notice. They're allowed their moment of complaining, God knows we'll still be whinging about Lampard's goal in a few months time.

Speaking of Lampard's goal, BBC's little "house of seven have fallen" thing at the start was funny, because the summary for Germany knocking us out was Lampard's goal being over the line and then it was just "and England are out!". Yeah, cus that's the reason <_<

Edited by Pesci