World Cup 2010 Thread

Not at all

We had to choose between Pique because at the time Rio and Vidic were one of, if not the best defensive pair in the world. Pique was of course very talented and he got his chances at United before Evans did but with his family being so involved at Barca he was always going to leave in the future whereas with Evans we are guaranteed someone who'll stay here for life unless he's no longer wanted and he's been great so it's worked out.

• Like 1

Puñeta Alemaña :(

Ergh what are you trying to say in Spanish :P, puñeta is like a really offensive word in Mexican Spanish (although in Spanish it's not really anything important.) P.s. it's spelt Alemania :P

Not at all

We had to choose between Pique because at the time Rio and Vidic were one of, if not the best defensive pair in the world. Pique was of course very talented and he got his chances at United before Evans did but with his family being so involved at Barca he was always going to leave in the future whereas with Evans we are guaranteed someone who'll stay here for life unless he's no longer wanted and he's been great so it's worked out.

It's still a big mistake, they could have just stopped it and loaned him out to a Spanish club. He's better than Rio and Vidic.

It would have turned into a Ronaldo/Fabregas situation anyway with Pique wanting to move back to his dream club. At the time he was not better than Rio and Vidic who had formed the Champions League winning partnership and were in the best form of their careers. It worked out well for Pique anyway. He's at his favourite club, plays every game so he's been able to develop greatly as a player, represents his country as a result and is continuing to win trophies.

The point was that back then both Vidic and Ferdinand looked absolutely unbeatable....then Vidic got found out after season 2 and Ferdinand broke and United were forced to re-evaluate their defensive situation.

Hindsight is wonderful, but back then I don't think anyone could have predicted Vidic and Ferdinand to deteriorate so quickly and for Pique to become that good.

So the Golden Ball nominees have been announced:

David Villa, Xavi, Andres Iniesta (Spain); Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben (Holland); Bastian Schweinsteiger, Mesut Ozil (Germany); Diego Forlan (Uruguay); Asamoah Gyan (Ghana); Messi (Argentina).

For me it's between Villa , Sneijder and Schweinsteiger. Ozil has been superb in some games but quiet in others whereas Schweinsteiger has been the consistent force behind everything Germany do, keeping them ticking over and what not. I don't expect he'll win though, since Germany are gone. It'll probably go to Villa if Spain win and Sneijder if Holland win, though I'm really pulling for Sneijder to win that and the Ballon D'Or. To win everything you possibly can in one season is insane and it'll top off a fantastic year for him for club and country

Ozil has been fantastic, I'd happily see him take the Golden Ball home. Schweinsteiger is a good pick too, then Forlan and Sneijder as well. I wouldn't put Villa on par with Schweinsteiger or Forlan though, because those two have totally controlled most of the games they've played, Villa is just a (fucking incredible) striker that keeps them in the games, sure, but he isn't really controlling the pace of the match. Ozil/Schweinsteiger for Golden Ball, and Villa for Golden Boot. With Spain taking the World Cup :shifty:

Since we're predicting things, I'll say Germany take third place too.

Germany to take third place, Spain to win the Cup. Villa to win Golden Boot and Golden Ball. From Spain Xavi is more deserving, I think he's what has kept the Spanish together. In terms of the entire Cup, Schweinsteiger deserves it the most. But I think finishing 3rd place will effect him getting it.

It does feel a bit surreal to think it'll be over tomorrow. I suppose you get used to it after a solid month of football. I'm torn when it comes to tomorrow's final. I usually pick a few other teams than England to support, to make it interesting when we've been eliminated, and chose Holland and Ivory Coast this year, so I'm backing Holland, but if they play anti-football and park the bus and prevail over Spain's lovely football it will feel hollow. I just hope it's a great game.

Forlan and Muller are on 4 goals, Villa and Sneijder are on 5. Could be a close one as far as the Golden Boot is concerned. I'm hoping for that reason both teams are going to throw caution to the wind and it'll end up being a high-scoring game. However, I don't expect the same in the Final. Spain have had a problem breaking down good defence, and Holland have to recognise their opponent's loss to Switzerland and take something from that. We'll probably be seeing a one-way game until either Holland's defence gives or Holland get a goal on the counter-attack.

Edited by WalkerWGZ