World Cup 2010 Thread

Ooooh, that was close. He's definitely active, as he's slap bang in the way of the ball. There's no possible argument against that.

Whether he was offside though... I'd say yes, but what do I know? :shifty:

Edit: He was onside that time. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

He was deemed active because he tried to get a touch on it. If you make a play for the ball but miss, your still considered offside as he could have caused the goalkeeper to react differently.

Had he not been there the goalkeeper wouldn't have had to compensate for a "what if he flicks it in the other corner?" scenario and would have known where the ball was going. Ergo - he's offside.

Either way. Who cares. Go on Holland. Smash 'em!

That'll do it

and what exactly is that rule ? The slo-mo replay we got showed that he moved his foot out of the way ...

You're "active" if you're "involved with play". I.e, players who are standing by the corner flag on the opposite side to where the ball is aren't "active", because they have nothing to do with the goal at all.

Players who are standing directly in front of the goalkeeper and have to move out of the way of the ball to avoid deflecting it definitely are active. They're involved with play. If he was onside, the goalkeeper would be forced to consider his actions when making a save. So since he's offside, the goalkeeper shouldn't have to. Thus offside.

But he's scored a proper one now so it's rather a moot point.

There was a similar incident in one of the other games (I wanna say Spain-Paraguay?) where a player in an offside position jumped for a cross, missed it, and the guy behind him scored. He was offside too, since he made an attempt to play the ball.

Edited by Farmer Reil

That'll do it

and what exactly is that rule ? The slo-mo replay we got showed that he moved his foot out of the way ...

You're "active" if you're "involved with play". I.e, players who are standing by the corner flag on the opposite side to where the ball is aren't "active", because they have nothing to do with the goal at all.

Players who are standing directly in front of the goalkeeper and have to move out of the way of the ball to avoid deflecting it definitely are active. They're involved with play. If he was onside, the goalkeeper would be forced to consider his actions when making a save. So since he's offside, the goalkeeper shouldn't have to. Thus offside.

But he's scored a proper one now so it's rather a moot point.

There was a similar incident in one of the other games (I wanna say Spain-Paraguay?) where a player in an offside position jumped for a cross, missed it, and the guy behind him scored. He was offside too, since he made an attempt to play the ball.

He stood in the way of the defender who might've been able to stop the ball, he was offside.

I forgot the game was on this morning :| Couldn't figure out why I was up so early...

I guess 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes.

Oooh exciting now

Edited by Rocky Feller

That's what I just said. As you should know, since you quoted me. ¬_¬

Edit: FFS, I think von Bommel is officially my least favourite Dutch footballer. And when you've got Arjen Robben, that's quite poor.

PERREIRA! THERE'S HOPE~!

Edited by Farmer Reil