World Cup 2010 Thread

Exactly, it's size of country + money

Some people just have natural sporting talent though, ala Holland, we don't put anywhere near as much money into our sports as places like the US, yet we have the 4th ranked team in football, and 6th ranked in Baseball, highest ranked in Europe too. :pervert:

6th ranked in baseball? Based on what?

US

Japan

Dominican Republic

Cuba

South Korea

Venezuela

I'm sure I can add more to that list but just listed the first 6 off the top of my head.

The IBAF, the Fifa of baseball.

Actually, sahyder, I do follow the game, its just difficult in my current situation because I don't have cable, making it nigh impossible to watch on a regular basis. I even get out and play from time to time, ii work with a lot of people that are really into the sport. The WC has definitely peaked my interest, though.

And, yeah, a lot of what I say regarding sport is just shit talking. I'm realistic about the US chances from here. I think we should have been expected to get out of group, and we did. It wasn't the greatest play, but it was great sport. I think quarters is a good end result for us this round, and a semis finish would be amazing, but not totally shocking. The draw sets up well.

The US's largest problem in terms of being a dominant country is the simple fact that our best athletes don't play the game. They play football, or basketball, or baseball. We're placing lower-tier athletes against other countries premier athletes, which obviously makes a difference. Not an excuse for anything, it just is what it is.

The IBAF doesn't factor in professional teams, so that shouldn't even count. There's no way Cuba has the greatest collection of baseball players in the world when at least 70% of the players in MLB are comprised of Americans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and those teams are ranked 2, 10 and 13 respectively while Korea's # 4, Chinese Taipei is # 5 and Holland is #6 and there likely aren't enough players from those countries capable of filling a single team in MLB. Those rankings would be similar to discounting all of the players in the Premiership, La Liga and Serie A and trying to say that people who compete at the MLS level or lower are somehow the type of players that should determine rankings.

Japan have looked good, and Honda's been awesome in both of their wins. First half and a large part of the second, they were all over Denmark. Their game against Paraguay will be interesting and I'll be expecting Japan to just shade it.

Exactly, it's size of country + money

Some people just have natural sporting talent though, ala Holland, we don't put anywhere near as much money into our sports as places like the US, yet we have the 4th ranked team in football, and 6th ranked in Baseball, highest ranked in Europe too. :pervert:

6th ranked in baseball? Based on what?

US

Japan

Dominican Republic

Cuba

South Korea

Venezuela

I'm sure I can add more to that list but just listed the first 6 off the top of my head.

I'm sorry but I can't take IBAF rankings seriously. How many Dutch guys play in the MLB? In Japan? Winter Ball?

Actually, sahyder, I do follow the game, its just difficult in my current situation because I don't have cable, making it nigh impossible to watch on a regular basis. I even get out and play from time to time, ii work with a lot of people that are really into the sport. The WC has definitely peaked my interest, though.

And, yeah, a lot of what I say regarding sport is just shit talking. I'm realistic about the US chances from here. I think we should have been expected to get out of group, and we did. It wasn't the greatest play, but it was great sport. I think quarters is a good end result for us this round, and a semis finish would be amazing, but not totally shocking. The draw sets up well.

The US's largest problem in terms of being a dominant country is the simple fact that our best athletes don't play the game. They play football, or basketball, or baseball. We're placing lower-tier athletes against other countries premier athletes, which obviously makes a difference. Not an excuse for anything, it just is what it is.

I think that trend is changing though. Kids had no reason to pursue soccer before when they knew if they were athletic enough they could actually make money while playing one of the other sports. Now obviously MLS money is is no where close to NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL money it still is enough to earn a good living. Young soccer players can actually think about pursuing it professionally. This generation of American kids (boys and girls) have had American soccer players they can look up. Guys like Howard, Donovan, Dempsey or even someone like Brandi Chastain have helped the growth of soccer and create the next generation of American soccer players.

Not only are there soccer leagues for kids all over the place they are teams in High Schools all over the place. It's way too early to think about right now but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the bad economy the last few years actually boosted soccer programs around the country. Putting kids though baseball or football can be pretty damn expensive. Even if they are not playing in a league somewhere just the costs of baseballs and gloves can be a lot.

There's no way Cuba has the greatest collection of baseball players in the world when at least 70% of the players in MLB are comprised of Americans

I can buy Cuba being one of the top teams. They'e done well at international events and the talent is definitely there. Their guys not coming to the MLB doesn't mean much. There was a time when Soviets weren't in the NHL, didn't mean that they couldn't play.

And Quasi Juice, who started this debate, is Dutch.

Even better. When was the last time they won a World Cup? Exactly!

When was the last time England won a Euro Cup? Exactly! I don't even know why you said this. I merely pointed out Euro's qualification is simply harder and in no way comparable to the CONCACAF. Hell, even Bosnia would probably qualify from the CONCACAF.

Yup, the better team won today. Jesus fuck, Jon Dahl Tomasson shouldn't have been on the field AT ALL during that game. He flunked two obvious goal chances plus a penalty kick, in which injured himself. We don't deserve to go on when our offense is based Jon HorriDahl Tomasson.

And Quasi Juice, who started this debate, is Dutch.

Even better. When was the last time they won a World Cup? Exactly!

When was the last time England won a Euro Cup? Exactly! I don't even know why you said this. I merely pointed out Euro's qualification is simply harder and in no way comparable to the CONCACAF. Hell, even Bosnia would probably qualify from the CONCACAF.

Just wanted to point out that while the qualifying for CONCACAF may be easier, two of the three teams from that region have moved on to the quarters. Would Bosnia have moved on had they made the Cup? Probably not.

There's no way Cuba has the greatest collection of baseball players in the world when at least 70% of the players in MLB are comprised of Americans

I can buy Cuba being one of the top teams. They'e done well at international events and the talent is definitely there. Their guys not coming to the MLB doesn't mean much. There was a time when Soviets weren't in the NHL, didn't mean that they couldn't play.

That's one hell of a job butchering a quote. My point was that the US, PR & DR are HEAVILY represented in the world's top baseball league(s), while there's almost zero representation from the supposed 4th, 5th, and 6th highest rated baseball countries according to these bizarre rankings. If the Americans took international baseball events seriously there's not a chance in hell Cuba would be # 1 either. Unlike most of the Latin American countries we don't allow our best players to compete for USA baseball because there's no reason to risk a superstar in an event that we don't take seriously in the first place.

That's one hell of a job butchering a quote. My point was that the US, PR & DR are HEAVILY represented in the world's top baseball league(s), while there's almost zero representation from the supposed 4th, 5th, and 6th highest rated baseball countries according to these bizarre rankings. If the Americans took international baseball events seriously there's not a chance in hell Cuba would be # 1 either. Unlike most of the Latin American countries we don't allow our best players to compete for USA baseball because there's no reason to risk a superstar in an event that we don't take seriously in the first place.

MLB guys from those those countries don't go to events either (unless it is the WBC in which case the Americans go there too). Cubans don't to the MLB because of political reasons. Their presence would be more widespread if the political situation between the US/Cuba were different.

As for the whole UEFA/CONCACAF talk...who cares? Neither side can change that. England can't go qualify from another region....neither can the US. What have the teams done once they've made it to the final 32. US was in the quarterfinals 8 years ago. They are one game away from being being there again. They did go out there and win the group. To use a North American analogy here. Cardinals won the World Series a few years when most people didn't even see them as a playoff team but they went into the playoffs and dominated. It's the end result that matters. You're not getting extra credit from one region and not the other.

It all just stemmed from HTTK's talk about USA having a better qualifying streak than so many other teams. They obviously will when they play easier teams, that's all. Nobody's doubting their credentials or denying that they deserve to be in the Last 16.

But anyway, how about that World Cup :shifty:

I'm so glad that Italy are out, but fuck me that was an amazing game. I found myself hoping Italy would score a third goal just for the spectacle of it. The last goal was awesome as well, forget who scored it.

Well I been at the beach all day and was shocked to see that Italy are gone, I expected them to get a result against Slovakia. Strange World Cup. I'm holding out for an Ivory Coast 9-0 win tomorrow to knock out the winker.