World Cup 2010 Thread

IT'S A GOOD PERFORMANCE! COMING LAST IN THE GROUP IS ALL PART OF THE MASTER PLAN! </JohhnyPerfect>

Paraguay, Slovakia and NZ have all just been lucky :/

EDIT: If Italy equalise and things stay the same, they go through on goals scored over NZ.

Edited by Pesci

Portugal and Spain could easily do it too.

A lot of countries are excellent candidates, but the sheer mass of gigantic stadiums in the US make them a favourable choice.

The smallest of their 21 stadiums put forward is Lucas Oil Stadium which is 66,500.

How many of them are football stadiums? Y'know, "soccer"

And how many of them are even professional stadiums as opposed to college football ?

With all due respect, but what in the hell does that matter? They're well maintainenced, beautiful stadiums, that can hold huge crowds. Joe-Blow in Eastern Europe won't care if the Detroit Lions play in the stadium or if Ball State University plays in it.

If either the 2018 or 2022 WC goes to USA, I'll be extremely pissed off, they just hosted it, why the fuck should they get to host it again?

Way to fucking hugh $ sign.

You clearly have not seen qatars WM bid.

http://www.qatar2022bid.com/

If it´s about money it´s not going to the us.

I definitely agree that places like Qatar and Dubai are going to be major forces in landing big sporting events like the Olympics and the World Cup for the next 50 years. They are putting a lot of money into their sports infrastructure. I definitely think US is getting one of 2018/2022 though. US World Cup TV rights are up for a renewal soon and FIFA is set to make a great deal of money from ESPN for a US World Cup. I was just reading yesterday that the 1994 World Cup set attendance records that still stand today. They'll definitely do it again.

FIFA got rid of the rotation policy so it pretty much is about the money (not that there is anything wrong with that).

A lot of countries are excellent candidates, but the sheer mass of gigantic stadiums in the US make them a favourable choice.

The smallest of their 21 stadiums put forward is Lucas Oil Stadium which is 66,500.

And how many of them are even professional stadiums as opposed to college football ?

US has soccer specific venues but why does it matter? The idea is to get a good amount of people in there. Giants Stadium did well as a soccer venue. I can't help but laugh at your "professional stadiums" comment. Do you understand that even colleges spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build great stadiums? Just because it is a college stadium doesn't mean it is a crap facility in the middle of no where with bad seating.

Heck, even at this World Cup one of the venues will be used as a cricket venue in the future (I forget which city) for South African cricket. Is that a bad idea? Does that make South Africa not worthy to host? You guys are just getting pathetic at this point. There is soccer in the US. Deal with it.

Edited by sahyder1

Halftime = Taco Time....

Is it safe to eat tacos at 1 in the morning :huh:

I would assume so.

Hell, I'll walk around the corner and get myself a celebratory Oreo McFlurry if the Kiwi's win the group.

Much respect to the two guys in the Kiwi suits - Must be swimming in sweat.

What happens if Italy equalize, anyone know?

Italy would advance due to goals scored.

With all due respect, but what in the hell does that matter? They're well maintainenced, beautiful stadiums, that can hold huge crowds. Joe-Blow in Eastern Europe won't care if the Detroit Lions play in the stadium or if Ball State University plays in it.

It sucks, I hate stadiums that were not built for football/soccer.

FIFA could also go for a more "green" World Cup by choosing the Holland/Belgium bid. Cruyff, Gullit and others arrived with the bidbook by bike to signify you could basically bike from one stadium to another in Holland and Belgium.

Well, damn. Now FIFA will never give us another World Cup. :(

FIFA could also go for a more "green" World Cup by choosing the Holland/Belgium bid. Cruyff, Gullit and others arrived with the bidbook by bike to signify you could basically bike from one stadium to another in Holland and Belgium.

It comes down to money. There is a great new facility in NJ that is used for MLS but it only seats 25K. It makes no sense to fit only that many into the stadium when just 10-15 minutes away there is the new Meadowlands Stadiums which probably has a capacity of around 75K. That's a lot of revenue to pass up.

Anyone know if there's a maximum amount of added time the referees are allowed to give? Because Slovakia are in line for about ten minutes of it here...

Pirlo! <3 Fuck the rest of Italy, but Pirlo is sex. A bit risky though... half an hour plus to go, so you use your final substitution to bring on a player who wasn't fit enough to start?

Edited by Farmer Reil