World Cup 2010 Thread

Portugal and Spain could easily do it too.

A lot of countries are excellent candidates, but the sheer mass of gigantic stadiums in the US make them a favourable choice.

The smallest of their 21 stadiums put forward is Lucas Oil Stadium which is 66,500.

Edited by The Cool One

These NZ kits are hot.

I'd say that they should wear them more often but the heat drawing strength of black isn't worth it.

If either the 2018 or 2022 WC goes to USA, I'll be extremely pissed off, they just hosted it, why the fuck should they get to host it again?

HUGE ASS DOLLAR SIGN

^ that and as was stated that when the time comes it'll have been 27 years. There's precedent for it. West Germany hosted in '74 and Germany in '06 - 32 years. Not much difference (one cycle).

Throw into all of that, the United States is the biggest untapped (relatively speaking) market and houses the biggest opportunity for potential growth of the sport. FIFA would be absolutely retarded (which they've shown numerous times) to not tap into the American marketing machine while the sport is literally gaining traction and on the verge of exploding here.

The only teams with longer conecutive WC qualificatoins: Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Korea Republic, and Spain.

France, England, Netherlands, Mexico, and Portugal are all on lesser streaks than us. Clubs that people view as a bit more of a "threat" than us such as Switzerland, Paraguay, Uruguay, Ivory Coast, and Denmark (based on not just EWB but other forums I visit) have all failed to do what we've done in international competition over the last 4yrs.

The sport is moving fast here. Our National team is on the cusp of breaking into the next level of clubs. The domestic league is taking huge strides and is growing more rapidly than anyone anticipated. The NHL and NBA are starting to lose ground to the MLS. Soccer isn't "second hand" anymore.

+++++++++

I do love our potential 'run' though. We should be able to get by Ghana. After that we've got Uruguay/South Korea. Both of those squads are very dangerous but we match up well with them. The other half of the bracket includes the four "top" clubs in the world that we've shown we can play against and a possibility of a Portugal/Switzerland/Chile club that I honestly think would be worse for us.

I honestly feel that we can make the semi-finals. I however, won't be shocked if we get thumped 3-1 on the way there.

You do realize the likes of Netherlands and England would easily qualify for the WC every time too in groups with the likes of Costa Rica and Guatamala?

Anyway, yay, go Slovakia!

Even at that The Confederations Cup showed the US are no joke side. I recall vividly the pundits for RTE eating their words after they had written the US off in that competition.

If either the 2018 or 2022 WC goes to USA, I'll be extremely pissed off, they just hosted it, why the fuck should they get to host it again?

HUGE ASS DOLLAR SIGN

^ that and as was stated that when the time comes it'll have been 27 years. There's precedent for it. West Germany hosted in '74 and Germany in '06 - 32 years. Not much difference (one cycle).

Throw into all of that, the United States is the biggest untapped (relatively speaking) market and houses the biggest opportunity for potential growth of the sport. FIFA would be absolutely retarded (which they've shown numerous times) to not tap into the American marketing machine while the sport is literally gaining traction and on the verge of exploding here.

The only teams with longer conecutive WC qualificatoins: Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Korea Republic, and Spain.

France, England, Netherlands, Mexico, and Portugal are all on lesser streaks than us. Clubs that people view as a bit more of a "threat" than us such as Switzerland, Paraguay, Uruguay, Ivory Coast, and Denmark (based on not just EWB but other forums I visit) have all failed to do what we've done in international competition over the last 4yrs.

The sport is moving fast here. Our National team is on the cusp of breaking into the next level of clubs. The domestic league is taking huge strides and is growing more rapidly than anyone anticipated. The NHL and NBA are starting to lose ground to the MLS. Soccer isn't "second hand" anymore.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying (but yeah, Quasi is right, even Scotland would qualify every time in that confederation), but club = Real Madrid, Chelsea, LA Galaxy etc, not countries. If you guys are gonna become a football superpower you need to stop doing annoying things like that :shifty:

Portugal and Spain could easily do it too.

A lot of countries are excellent candidates, but the sheer mass of gigantic stadiums in the US make them a favourable choice.

The smallest of their 21 stadiums put forward is Lucas Oil Stadium which is 66,500.

How many of them are football stadiums? Y'know, "soccer"

And how many of them are even professional stadiums as opposed to college football ?