World Cup 2010 Thread

Last time I checked USA are top of the group and England are second. Lucky is sneaking in, winning the group isn't entirely luck.

Wow.. America win the group and are suddenly big talkers.

GROUP C TEAMS

W D L GD PTS

USA

1 2 0 1 5

England

1 2 0 1 5

So... England snuck in with 5 points, the USA KICKED FUCKING ASS with 5 points?

• Like 2

Ad the goals for the US that were correct but not given and everything looks a lot less lucky.

I love how england vs germany dos not bother anyone since both teams dident exactly play brilliant. It´s going to be one hell of a hard way for these teams this year.

The last cuple of times germany endet up in the Semi Finals there were a shitload of no name teams on their way, this time it´s England - likely Argentinia and after that Spain or Portugal in the Semis... it´s clearly the harder half of the competition. The other half has got Brazil, the Netherlands and Italy besides a bunch of teams that will go for the title of surprise team of 2010s WC.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane
  • Like 2

Last time I checked USA are top of the group and England are second. Lucky is sneaking in, winning the group isn't entirely luck.

GROUP C TEAMS

W D L GD PTS

USA

1 2 0 1 5

England

1 2 0 1 5

We're still waiting for you to tell us how the US got lucky. So what if people are talking trash? You're coming up with ridiculous reasons to downplay what US did but you would have been an even more annoying clown in this thread had your team won.

I don't know who you are quoting above but like I said, please tell us how they got lucky. So what if they're playing Ghana? US went out there and won their group. They had no control over how the other group finished.

As for Squaredcircle messiah,

How can you possibly say soccer will only be relevant here every four years when MLS attendance (expected to be up 15% this year despite the economy) is on the rise, the league is actually expanding and will have 18 teams by next year. There are soccer specific stadiums popping up around the league. MLS is averaging 18K a game. Hosting the World Cup in 1994 helped grow the sport here a lot. The run in 2002 helped. A good run here will help fast track it a bit too. You don't think there was some 10 year old somewhere yesterday who replayed that Donovan goal in his backyard over and over again? The sport is growing here and will continue to grow. Hosting the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 is going to be a big help too. The clowns here on the US who act like NBA, NFL & MLB are the only 3 sports in the world will continue to ignore it but that doesn't change that the sport is growing here.

As for your NHL comment, were you paying attention at all? Yes attendance took a dip this year thanks to the economy but let's not act like Olmpics didn't help hockey when TV ratings were on the rise and the Stanley Cup was the most watched one in 36 years despite Crosby and Ovechkin not bring there.

No one is saying that these 2 will turn into the NFL overnight but don't try to insult our intelligence by claiming people don't care.

• Like 1

GROUP C TEAMS

W D L GD PTS

USA

1 2 0 1 5

England

1 2 0 1 5

We're still waiting for you to tell us how the US got lucky. So what if people are talking trash? You're coming up with ridiculous reasons to downplay what US did but you would have been an even more annoying clown in this thread had your team won.

I don't know who you are quoting above but like I said, please tell us how they got lucky. So what if they're playing Ghana? US went out there and won their group. They had no control over how the other group finished.

Summers wasn't saying the US got lucky. He was responding to TCO, who said England sneaked in to the next round. Which is interesting, because outside of goals scored (which was the deciding factor), the teams had the same record. So if one sneaked in, arguably they both did by that reckoning.

If either the 2018 or 2022 WC goes to USA, I'll be extremely pissed off, they just hosted it, why the fuck should they get to host it again?

• Like 2

You got lucky against England, but were unlucky against Slovenia.

The fact is neither USA or England have played well at all, and I expect both teams will be knocked out in the next round. America did well to come back from two down against Slovenia, but to do that, you had to go 2-0 down in the first place.

JohnnyPerfect is the last person you should pay attention to, as you'd know if you'd read the rest of the thread. I'm glad the two teams that went through went through, but if we'd been in a group with better teams in i.e. England, USA, Uruguay and Portugal as a worst case scenario.

I was just pointing out that he was branding 'USA' lucky, while they finished ahead of England and thus qualifed more comfortably albeit by goals scored. So if they're lucky England are definitely lucky.

I'd say the reason USA are allowed to host to World Cup again is because they're, along with England, arguably the best nation available to host it with regards to stadia and ifastructure etc. Id on't think there's a rule though. Plus it'll be nearly 30 years since USA 94 by time 2022 comes around!

I'd love to see it go to England in 2018 and then USA in 2022

Edited by The Cool One
  • Like 1

I was just pointing out that he was branding 'USA' lucky, while they finished ahead of England and thus qualifed more comfortably albeit by goals scored. So if they're lucky England are definitely lucky.

It was JP, what did you expect?

If either the 2018 or 2022 WC goes to USA, I'll be extremely pissed off, they just hosted it, why the fuck should they get to host it again?

Way to fucking hugh $ sign.

You clearly have not seen qatars WM bid.

http://www.qatar2022bid.com/

If it´s about money it´s not going to the us.

I'd say the reason USA are allowed to host to World Cup again is because they're, along with England, arguably the best nation available to host it with regards to stadia and ifastructure etc. Id on't think there's a rule though. Plus it'll be nearly 30 years since USA 94 by time 2022 comes around!

I'd love to see it go to England in 2018 and then USA in 2022

Portugal and Spain could easily do it too.

HUGE ASS DOLLAR SIGN

^ that and as was stated that when the time comes it'll have been 27 years. There's precedent for it. West Germany hosted in '74 and Germany in '06 - 32 years. Not much difference (one cycle).

Throw into all of that, the United States is the biggest untapped (relatively speaking) market and houses the biggest opportunity for potential growth of the sport. FIFA would be absolutely retarded (which they've shown numerous times) to not tap into the American marketing machine while the sport is literally gaining traction and on the verge of exploding here.

The only teams with longer conecutive WC qualificatoins: Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Korea Republic, and Spain.

France, England, Netherlands, Mexico, and Portugal are all on lesser streaks than us. Clubs that people view as a bit more of a "threat" than us such as Switzerland, Paraguay, Uruguay, Ivory Coast, and Denmark (based on not just EWB but other forums I visit) have all failed to do what we've done in international competition over the last 4yrs.

The sport is moving fast here. Our National team is on the cusp of breaking into the next level of clubs. The domestic league is taking huge strides and is growing more rapidly than anyone anticipated. The NHL and NBA are starting to lose ground to the MLS. Soccer isn't "second hand" anymore.

+++++++++

I do love our potential 'run' though. We should be able to get by Ghana. After that we've got Uruguay/South Korea. Both of those squads are very dangerous but we match up well with them. The other half of the bracket includes the four "top" clubs in the world that we've shown we can play against and a possibility of a Portugal/Switzerland/Chile club that I honestly think would be worse for us.

I honestly feel that we can make the semi-finals. I however, won't be shocked if we get thumped 3-1 on the way there.