World Cup 2010 Thread

Apparently Spain have won 45 out of 48 games prior to that according to BBC. o_O

They won 15/16 games straight leading up to the World Cup, and lost 1 in the past 42, or something utterly ridiculous.

But that all doesn't count, the World Cup is what counts!

Spain-Chile is now leading up to be a great game, as Switzerland/Honduras will be a walkover for the Swiss.

I don't think Spain will be out, but it could happen.

Looking at my brackets, could it really be a Germany vs Ivory Coast final? >_> Tempted to put a quid on.

I can't believe how some predicted Spain to win. They weren't going to win anyway.

Huh?

Switzerland owes this entire game to their goalie one guy on ESPN said "Switzerland finally got their nut";

They were talking about Switzerland's prior struggles and how even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Fucking hell.

I was going to say, typical Spain, choking on the big stage, but man they dominated that game and were so unlucky to concede that goal. Fook.

They still deserved fuck all though. Dominated possesion, that's it. Did nothing with their chances and the Swiss had basically two chances all game and did better than what Spain did through the 80 minutes of possesion they had. Without a doubt a deserving victory :wub:

Biased much? Spain played much better football, and how you can say Switzerland 'did better' when they got an extremely lucky goal is laughable. The goal was down to bad Spanish defending, not amazing Swiss playing. They deserved the win because they scored, obviously, but Spain were by far the better side barring a few dodgy moments in defence.

• Like 1

Not all that odd. Teams like the Swiss and USA defend like mad and got the breaks. Plus the USA game, I doubt Spain were too arsed with the Confed cup. The bigger teams like Brazil, the Argies, Holland etc will fancy their chances more to attack and win the game based on their own merit instead of just relying on countering the Spanish.

After today however, they may just revise their plans if they already haven't.

Fucking hell.

I was going to say, typical Spain, choking on the big stage, but man they dominated that game and were so unlucky to concede that goal. Fook.

They still deserved fuck all though. Dominated possesion, that's it. Did nothing with their chances and the Swiss had basically two chances all game and did better than what Spain did through the 80 minutes of possesion they had. Without a doubt a deserving victory wub.gif

Biased much? Spain played much better football, and how you can say Switzerland 'did better' when they got an extremely lucky goal is laughable. The goal was down to bad Spanish defending, not amazing Swiss playing. They deserved the win because they scored, obviously, but Spain were by far the better side barring a few dodgy moments in defence.

Agreed, Spain pretty much played them off the field.

Fucking hell.

They still deserved fuck all though. Dominated possesion, that's it. Did nothing with their chances and the Swiss had basically two chances all game and did better than what Spain did through the 80 minutes of possesion they had. Without a doubt a deserving victory :wub:

The Swiss went in with a gameplan and it came off. Alot of times yeah, Spain would have scored a couple of their chances and the Swiss wouldn;t have gotten their break. But, the Swiss did have a good chance or two that could have gone either way too. But Johnny is biased as fuck true. Alonso's post effort was far better and more unlucky not to go in than the Swiss effort.

End of the day I agree with Kaney. Spain were far better all over but the Swiss plan worked well and fair fucking play to them.

I agree completely with whoever it was that compared them to Arsenal. Beautiful football, played the Swiss off the park and Switzerland almost didn't touch the ball in the entire first half (except when it hit them and bounced off). But they did absolutely fuck all in terms of genuine chances. Alonso had one, Villa had one, Torres had a few, but they never seriously looked like scoring until the latter part of the second half.

Switzerland defended brilliantly though. It's not as if Spain couldn't score because they were shit. They couldn't score because the Swiss wouldn't let them. They got lucky with the goal, but the absolutely deserved their clean sheet.

Spain hardly played them off the field. You can't look at possession in a match like that to decide who was 'better' because Switzerland were quite happy for Spain to have the ball. The Swiss basically said "here, have the ball and try to get past us," and Spain failed.

I'd say Switzerland were the better team, not just because of the scoreline (I'd have said the same even if it was 0-0) because they executed their gameplan far more effectively than Spain managed.

• Like 2

Plus the USA game, I doubt Spain were too arsed with the Confed cup.

God I hate that line of crap.

#1 in the world, record winning/unbeaten streak .... trotted out this lineup:

Iker CASILLAS (GK)© Gerard PIQUE Carles PUYOL David VILLA XAVI Fernando TORRES Cesc FABREGAS Joan CAPDEVILA XABI ALONSO SERGIO RAMOS Albert RIERA

• Like 1

I can't believe how some predicted Spain to win. They weren't going to win anyway.

How brilliant retrospect is. Tell me how much did you win with your retrospective pearls of wisdom so far in the World Cup?

It's not the end of the world for Spain, they were the better team but got unlucky with a jammy goal. I can still se them going through in the end.

• Like 1

God I hate that line of crap.

#1 in the world, record winning/unbeaten streak .... trotted out this lineup:

Iker CASILLAS (GK)© Gerard PIQUE Carles PUYOL David VILLA XAVI Fernando TORRES Cesc FABREGAS Joan CAPDEVILA XABI ALONSO SERGIO RAMOS Albert RIERA

A world class team can still half arse it, you know.

Not saying they did, but it is the confederations cup, and these players had all had long and testing seasons with club teams. It's concievable.

Why send a team? They didn't make B.S excuses. They lost. It doesn't change that they are one of the best teams in the world....but also doesn't change that they lost.