Let's talk football games!

YI

I remember having a demo for VR Soccer 96' and I was mesmorized by the graphics. I so desperately wanted to play with the likes if Gambia and Holland but the demo only allowed Russia and USA if I remember correctly.

I also played Sensible Soccer, which was shit.

I think I also had USM, without even knowing. I remember it was...weird and the matches passed by extremely fast.

Lastly I had a game simply called Holland, in which you could go from league 6 or something to the top, but it was fucking impossible to go a league up. You had basically no impact on match results.

Oh you can fuck right off and die :angry:

I think NFL 2K5 was the best ever.

:shifty:

I love that game... And still play it... In fact, I am now going to play before work tomorrow :shifty:

But back to real football...

I can't remember where I started playing Football games, but I believe the first "Management Sim I played was Premier Manager 02/03.

I used to spent days on that game. Then I moved onto LMA up to 2005 and converted to FM after the 'not-so-flash' 06<_<

I had one on the N64, probably the World Cup game for 1998. I was AWFUL and almost constantly had to play with ten men because I played absurdly reckless defense. I blame the fact that I grew up with American Football as "the" football and assumed it as okay to tackle someone into the dirt on every play.

To be fair, that was back when they had a button dedicated to doing a completely over the top foul and it took some real will power to not press that button.

The old diving feature on FIFA was brilliant. And the ability to just slide tackle the keeper for no reason. I think it was FIFA 97 where they had the indoor 5-a-side mode which was quite possibly the best thing included on a football game. I would love if they made a whole game just based around indoor football like that.

Also, can anyone help me get Sensible World of Soccer 96/7 working on XP? The USM thread reminded me of all the many hours I spent on that game and it's got me nostalgic.

To be fair, that was back when they had a button dedicated to doing a completely over the top foul and it took some real will power to not press that button.

Yes. This. They had a completely ineffective button for trying to strip the ball from a walk/jog, which might as well have just been called the "look like a nancy" button, and then they had the button for slide tackles. If you timed it right, and I did it a fair number of times, you can make some absolutely amazing clearances if you hit the ball.

Otherwise you basically did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYybgZ8AJK8

Foto+Adidas+Power+Soccer+2.jpg

On the subject of amazing fouls, if you pressed Square, Triangle, Circle and Cross at the same time in Adidas Power Soccer 2, then the player you were controlling would karate kick the nearest player to you in the head. It was easily the only thing that made that game interesting.