Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

Probably the only thing to brag about this season, for a Cubs fan, is that Byrd made a hell of a play to help the NL win.

It would have been a bonehead play if he'd had anyone other than Mount Papi coming off first. The only thing I give him credit for is knowing that he had an hour to throw to second.

TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays swapped shortstops with the Atlanta Braves, acquiring Yunel Escobar for veteran Alex Gonzalez in a five-player trade Wednesday.

The Blue Jays also get 25-year-old left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes while sending prospects Tim Collins, a lefty, and infielder Tyler Pastornicky to the Braves.

Escobar is the key piece for the Blue Jays, someone who can fill the void up the middle for a few seasons until top prospect Adeiny Hechavarria is ready.

But the 27-year-old is more than just a stop-gap.

Though he's slumped to a .238 average with 12 doubles in 75 games this season, the six-foot-two, 200-pound Cuban batted .299 with 26 doubles, 14 home runs, 76 RBI and a .377 on-base percentage in 2009. He owns a career .291 average with 87 doubles, 29 home runs and a .368 on base percentage over 446 career games with Atlanta.

Gonzalez, 33, is batting .259 with 17 homers and 50 RBIs while playing superb defence, but is well over his career norms in recent years.

He's making US$2.75 million this season and has an option worth $2.5 million next season.

Reyes has just one appearance with the Braves this season and in 12 games (10 starts) for triple-A Gwinnett, he's 1-5 with a 5.70 ERA, 15 walks and 50 strikeouts in 47 1-3 innings.

He was optioned to double-A New Hampshire.

Another intriguing name in the deal is that of Collins.

The 20-year-old is a blogosphere darling who was 1-0 with a 2.51 ERA and nine saves in 35 games for double-A New Hampshire. Signed by former GM J.P. Ricciardi -- who had heard about the summer local league pitcher from his friends in Worcester, Mass. -- he has torn his way through the minors but at just five foot seven and 155 pounds, will always face doubts about his size.

Pastornicky, 20, was batting .258 with 16 doubles, 35 RBIs and 24 stolen bases in 77 games for single-A Dunedin. He was a fifth-round pick in 2008.

From TSN.ca - http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=327480

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Also interesting to note that Escobar could help Hechavarria adapt to North American big league culture, as they're both Cuban.

Phil Hughes' numbers BEFORE the Yankees skipped his turn in the rotation..... 82.1 innings 3.17 ERA. Since that time (including tonight) 23.2 innings 6.84 ERA. Combine those numbers with his numbers as a starting pitcher the last 2 years and it becomes really ugly. How crazy would it be if both Hughes and Joba end up as bullpen guys after all the hype that went into these guys?

So Lou Piniella says he is going to retire at the end of this season.

As a Cubs fan, I can't say that I'm really sad to see him go. But, I hope the Ricketts grow a pair and drop Hendry for making some terrible decisions and bring in the ex-Arizona GM and see which managers are available.

Phil Hughes' numbers BEFORE the Yankees skipped his turn in the rotation..... 82.1 innings 3.17 ERA. Since that time (including tonight) 23.2 innings 6.84 ERA. Combine those numbers with his numbers as a starting pitcher the last 2 years and it becomes really ugly. How crazy would it be if both Hughes and Joba end up as bullpen guys after all the hype that went into these guys?

I said from the start the Yankees would misuse both guys and they'd turn into relievers. That said, Phil Hughes could be a successor to Rivera. He won't be the next Rivera, nobody ever will, but he can definitely turn into a reliable closer I think.

We would have seen, like, eight no-hitters this season had sahyder never said anything.

If I had that kind of power the Yankees would not have won the World Series last year, the Cubs drought would have ended in 2003 (or even 2006), the Angels WOULD NOT have signed Matsui and Derek Jeter/Mariano Rivera would have failed a PED test already.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Awesome Expos montage with original song:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey the D-Backs are preparing to give away Dan Haren to the Yankees. I think it may be time to put baseball on my "I don't give a shit anymore" list with hockey.

If I didn't support Boston, I might be there with you.

I'm kinda surprised you're not there already. <_<