Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

And then the Red Sox only started the spending spree to keep up with the neighbors.

Exactly. They've evolved with the times. The Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Angels, they realize you have to spend money now-a-days. With free agency, you're not going to sign a player at eighteen and keep him until he retires like you could in the sixties. There are plenty of teams in professional baseball that could spend the money, but their front office is too chickenshit about the risk of losing money that they don't risk it.

But we got: Yankees in the league of their own. Then Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals, Cubs, and Angels in tier 2. Big markets, big baseball towns, rabid fan bases (for the most part).

We'll give you Florida for being chickenshit about losing money. Loria's a cheap bastard who really shouldn't own a team.

Places like Pittsburgh and Kansas City don't have the resources those cities do to keep and bring in people. Places like Tampa Bay have the talent, then can't keep it because nobody bothers coming to the ballpark.

In the last few years, Pittsburgh has given up any sort of quality talent that they've had during the first half of the season. I heard that their opening day lineup has changed more times than any other team in the league because of it. Seems like they're perpetually rebuilding in order to just trade away anyone good for cash and other prospects.

In the last couple of seasons the Yankees spent OVER $400 million to sign AJ, CC & Tex in a single offseason. They had already re-upped A-Rod for almost $300 million more, and now traded crap for another ace, who they will give at least $100 million to by the end of the season.

I don't give a fuck how much money they pay in luxury tax, no other team in the league is capable of handing out $800 million to $1 BILLION in guaranteed new contracts for FIVE players in 24-36 months.

This times 100%.

No other team has Yankee revenue.

Lee deal is off though. Adams the 2B prospect involved is hurt.

Let the "let's blame the New York Yankees for cashing in on a broken system where if a team wants to bring themselves closer to winning, as others sit on the cash that the big money teams give them in luxury tax, gets vilified" refrain begin once again. Notice how this argument only comes up when the Yankees bring themselves closer to victory despite the fact that they've only won the title twice in 10 years.

No other team has enough money to pay a starting rotation $100 million a year. No other team has the money to pay their infield another million on top of that. Yes, that is $200 million on 10 players. Just shut the hell up already. This is why people hate Yankee fans. Stop acting like you're the victim here.

Edited by sahyder1

Yes. But really, the Yanks spending sprees didn't start until the 90's, when free agency became so ludicrous.

Absolutely not.

Jack Chesbro

Willie Keeler

Jimmy Smith

Harry Wolter

Home Run Baker

Wally Pip

Bob Shawkey

Del Pratt

Babe Ruth

Carl Mays

These were the best players on the Yankees (Highlanders) from 1903-1920. All of them bought. You can go through every single era of the Yankees and do that. Even the "great" Yankee teams with Gherig on them were topped by the hired gun Ruth.

Yes. But really, the Yanks spending sprees didn't start until the 90's, when free agency became so ludicrous.

Absolutely not.

Jack Chesbro

Willie Keeler

Jimmy Smith

Harry Wolter

Home Run Baker

Wally Pip

Bob Shawkey

Del Pratt

Babe Ruth

Carl Mays

These were the best players on the Yankees (Highlanders) from 1903-1920. All of them bought. You can go through every single era of the Yankees and do that. Even the "great" Yankee teams with Gherig on them were topped by the hired gun Ruth.

And you're absolutely right. But that wasn't free agency. That was when teams willingly accepted money for the player. Players were sold for a price negotiated between the two teams, and agreed upon. It's not like free agency where teams can be left high and dry.

Look, I'm not an idiot. I do understand the other side of the fence. I understand completely where the people that don't like the Yankees (or the way they do business) are coming from. Yes, we easily outspend other teams. But why wouldn't they? If they're going to get a smack on the wrist, pay a luxury tax that is chump change for them, why not? It's almost like giving a billionaire a bunch of shit for owning a garage full of Ferrari's, when some people have trouble buying a Ford. If they have the money, they're going to spend it. Until Major League Baseball takes a stand and changes things up, it's going to be that way.

And you're absolutely right. But that wasn't free agency. That was when teams willingly accepted money for the player. Players were sold for a price negotiated between the two teams, and agreed upon. It's not like free agency where teams can be left high and dry.

Look, I'm not an idiot. I do understand the other side of the fence. I understand completely where the people that don't like the Yankees (or the way they do business) are coming from. Yes, we easily outspend other teams. But why wouldn't they? If they're going to get a smack on the wrist, pay a luxury tax that is chump change for them, why not? It's almost like giving a billionaire a bunch of shit for owning a garage full of Ferrari's, when some people have trouble buying a Ford. If they have the money, they're going to spend it. Until Major League Baseball takes a stand and changes things up, it's going to be that way.

By no means do I think you're an idiot. You're actually one of the few I know that I don't want to dropkick in the throat.

As a sidenote, the only difference between then and now, is that the "agent" has gone from the team to the player. Back then clubs went to clubs to buy the player. Now they go to the player. It's the same thing, just a different avenue. If the Highlanders offered the Pirates more money for Chesbro than the Reds did, who they gonna go with ? It's the same thing.

I'm kind of odd in how I look at it really. I don't begrudge them their money. They earned it, that's fine. It just makes me sick though that they get the label of "better" and "best" because of it.

I mean, I invest 200 bucks in the market and return 500. I only invested 200 beause it was all I could part with.

You invest 200,000 bucks and return 350,000. You're the better investor because you returned a bigger sum of money ? Not exactly.

And then the Red Sox only started the spending spree to keep up with the neighbors.

Exactly. They've evolved with the times. The Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Angels, they realize you have to spend money now-a-days. With free agency, you're not going to sign a player at eighteen and keep him until he retires like you could in the sixties. There are plenty of teams in professional baseball that could spend the money, but their front office is too chickenshit about the risk of losing money that they don't risk it.

But we got: Yankees in the league of their own. Then Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals, Cubs, and Angels in tier 2. Big markets, big baseball towns, rabid fan bases (for the most part).

We'll give you Florida for being chickenshit about losing money. Loria's a cheap bastard who really shouldn't own a team.

Places like Pittsburgh and Kansas City don't have the resources those cities do to keep and bring in people. Places like Tampa Bay have the talent, then can't keep it because nobody bothers coming to the ballpark.

In the last few years, Pittsburgh has given up any sort of quality talent that they've had during the first half of the season. I heard that their opening day lineup has changed more times than any other team in the league because of it. Seems like they're perpetually rebuilding in order to just trade away anyone good for cash and other prospects.

Which is unfortunate. It really is. Pittsburgh feels like it's a farm team more than a legitimate contender. Even here more than Florida, the emphasis is making a profit and not the product on the field or trying to win. (Well, in Florida at least they don't sell out so soon.)

But what can baseball do about this?

By no means do I think you're an idiot. You're actually one of the few I know that I don't want to dropkick in the throat.

As a sidenote, the only difference between then and now, is that the "agent" has gone from the team to the player. Back then clubs went to clubs to buy the player. Now they go to the player. It's the same thing, just a different avenue. If the Highlanders offered the Pirates more money for Chesbro than the Reds did, who they gonna go with ? It's the same thing.

I'm kind of odd in how I look at it really. I don't begrudge them their money. They earned it, that's fine. It just makes me sick though that they get the label of "better" and "best" because of it.

I mean, I invest 200 bucks in the market and return 500. I only invested 200 beause it was all I could part with.

You invest 200,000 bucks and return 350,000. You're the better investor because you returned a bigger sum of money ? Not exactly.

And in all fairness, I refuse to say Brian Cashman is a great GM. Hell, I don't even give Giardi his due. Any monkey could put a hat on and manage that team to the playoffs.

But they're my team. I can acknowledge we have an unfair advantage, what with an open checkbook, but as a fan, I have no choice but to defend them.

My friends call me the Anti-Christ because I'm a diehard Yankee fan, and a diehard Fightin' Irish fan.

And in all fairness, I refuse to say Brian Cashman is a great GM. Hell, I don't even give Giardi his due. Any monkey could put a hat on and manage that team to the playoffs.

But they're my team. I can acknowledge we have an unfair advantage, what with an open checkbook, but as a fan, I have no choice but to defend them.

My friends call me the Anti-Christ because I'm a diehard Yankee fan, and a diehard Fightin' Irish fan.

How have you not been a victim of genocide ?

:( and the irish too ?

you originally from NY ? because if you are, then you officially can't exist given your view of things.

Oh dear, Smoak going the other way.

But uh, wow .. the Rangers pulled a move for a guy that throws off the mound ? Truly a landmark moment. Of course, Nolan Ryan being in charge is sure to change things around there for the better.

Aren't the Rangers broke?

With this deal being made, how the hell could the Yankees offer have been serious? If Seattle took the Yankees offer over the Rangers, they were getting a date with the health inspector for sure. This is a much better deal for both sides.

In other news: the Sox are bitch slapping the Jays right now.

Edited by Lowerdeck

I am absolutely shocked that the Rangers landed that Lee deal, but they're certainly (and rightfully) going all in this year. Sending Smoak the other way is a wow moment though, I think the talk of the Yanks getting involved probably was the trigger for the Rangers to part with him. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle's personnel tried to make the Yankee offer sound more serious than it was in order to get the Rangers to give up more than they needed. Fair play to them, that's how trades should be manufactured.