Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

Hats off to TBS. They actually picked up Sunday's Nationals vs Indians game so Strasburg will have a national audience yet again.

I don't think the Mets have the pieces to trade for a meaningful starter, and they can't add payroll if the attendance continues to be as bad as it's been. When you consider the money they've wasted on Perez & Maine and the fact that they've gotten no production from Beltran their record is far better than it should be, but you've got to assume the Phillies will remember how to hit eventually and unless the Mets get SOMETHING out of their 3-4-5 pitchers they can't sustain this pace.

The pitching, despite Maine and Perez's troubles hasn't really been a problem as of yet. They probably should have stretched out Majia and let him come up as a starter but Dickey and Takahashi have been decent. They need to pull the trigger on a trade for Oswalt though. Definitely stay away from Lee as you would definitely have to overpay for him. I think they will go out and make a move. It's not like the Mets have been cheap with their money....yes, they don't spend Yankee money but ever since Pedro the Mets have gone out and signed the big free agents.

Edited by sahyder1

Niese has definitely emerged as a legitimate #3 behind Pelfrey and Santana. If they can get someone like Oswalt to slide in that rotation is looking great. 1-hit shutout so far through 8 having retired the last 19 in a row.

Edit: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K. I think he put down last 21 in a row.

Just a reminder that Strasburg's second start is on TBS coming up in a few minutes.

On an unrelated note I'm starting to like Really Awesome Dickey's dancing knuckleball. Having said that, I fully expect him to get lit up soon.

Obama is attending "Strasmas" tonight as his White Sox are also in town.

By the way, how about them Mets? Also while we're at it....hats off to my Angels. Just as always this team is rolling even with the big injury to Kendry Morales.

Jose Reyes now has 2 homers today. It's the top of the 3rd and his second "bomb" ended up in the first row of RF, but likely wouldn't have reached the warning track in CitiField. It really is amazing to see how differently some of these ballparks play.

Carlos Zambrano melted the fuck down playing the Sox today. Yelling at Derrek Lee, Larry Rothschild and Lou Piniella had to step in and take him back to the locker room. Sigh. It's also being reported that Zambrano launched into a profanity-laced tirade at some local news cameramen and that the incident's going to be on the local news tonight.

Carlos Zambrano melted the fuck down playing the Sox today. Yelling at Derrek Lee, Larry Rothschild and Lou Piniella had to step in and take him back to the locker room. Sigh. It's also being reported that Zambrano launched into a profanity-laced tirade at some local news cameramen and that the incident's going to be on the local news tonight.

Saw the clip on 6 PM Sportscenter. He was yelling like a madman in the dugout. Pinella sent him home.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNQkmpo2g4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNQkmpo2g4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNQkmpo2g4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Big Z needs to be traded across town, so that him and Ozzie can be in the same dug out. :w00t: I would pay to see that.

On the no hitter note, I know I should feel happy for the D'Backs pitcher....since it is probably the only good thing that will happen to the team all year, but I find the bigger story to be that this is the second time Tampa has given up a no hitter this year (if I remember correctly)? I mean it's weird as fuck to say the least considering they are pretty good, with a decent/good lineup, and may end up being the American League Wild Card winner.

As Shane Helms would say, "WASSUPWITDAT?"

Big Z needs to be traded across town, so that him and Ozzie can be in the same dug out. :w00t: I would pay to see that.

On the no hitter note, I know I should feel happy for the D'Backs pitcher....since it is probably the only good thing that will happen to the team all year, but I find the bigger story to be that this is the second time Tampa has given up a no hitter this year (if I remember correctly)? I mean it's weird as fuck to say the least considering they are pretty good, with a decent/good lineup, and may end up being the American League Wild Card winner.

As Shane Helms would say, "WASSUPWITDAT?"

They were victimized by a perfect game last year too so yeah, 3 in around a year. As for Tampa/Wildcard, I would agree with if I didn't think they'll end up winning the division. The no-hitter is not going to derail them.

Eh, weird shit like that happens to "good" teams. Nolan Ryan No-Hit an absolutely loaded Oakland A's lineup (went on to the World Series for the 3rd straight year).

In '88 Tom Browning No-Hit eventual WS champ the Dodgers - '91 Nolan Ryan No-Hit AL East champ Toronto - '97 Kevin Brown No-Hit NL West Champ SF Giants

'03 WS runner up Yankees were No-Hit by 6 Astros pitchers

That just off the top of my head. For some reason this kind of stuff just seems to happen.

Someone's going to have to explain to me how Chris Carptener made the AS team but Mike Pelfrey didn't. Coming into today's game the Mets have a better record than the Cards and Pelfrey has been their best pitcher, while Wainwright (11-5 2.34 ERA) is arguably the ace on St. Louis.

Carpenter 9-2 3.16 ERA, 105 K, 36 BB, 119.2 IP, 1.212 WHIP

Pelfrey 10-2, 1 SV 2.93 ERA, 66 K, 35 BB, 104.1 IP, 1,294 WHIP

Carpenter has 2 extra starts to account for the extra 15 IP, but other than strikeouts and a marginally better WHIP I don't see how the 3rd best team in the league gets one representative total (Wright edged Polanco in the vote) while the Cards get 2 starting pitchers on the staff.