UFC News and Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Fight Island is falling apart.

Two Brazilians have tested positive for Covid today, leaving Jack Shore and Modestas Bukauskas without opponents. Both Cage Warriors vets and super sound guys too, which sucks. 

Nicholas Dalby and Ramazan Emeev have been left without opponents due to injury over the last 24 hours.

And today Khabib’s father has died, resulting in two of his teammates pulling out of fights on the island. 

Six fights have fallen out in just one day, and we’re still eight days out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It is utterly baffling they've opted to include backyard cage fights. It's like an official F1 game including illegal street racing.

It's so they can pay homage to Masvidal's start as a bare knuckle fighter in Kimbo Slice's backyard and Adesanya's career beginnings as the main character in a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie.

17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I find it hard to get past the lack of a live audience. I've seen episodes of Countdown with a more exciting atmosphere than the last UFC event I saw.

See I don’t feel like it’s as detrimental to UFC as it was for wrestling. I mean I’m sure it sucks for the fighters but as a fan watching it, I don’t really notice it outside of the echo

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I wish UFC wasn't so expensive. I've really gotten back into it with the lack of live sports and I think tonight should be really good but it costs $85

Is that on ESPN? That's obscene. I can get it for $65 Canadian here.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I find it hard to get past the lack of a live audience. I've seen episodes of Countdown with a more exciting atmosphere than the last UFC event I saw.

MMA fans are morons. Watching shows without hearing an area full of pricks wooing is ideal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I’m absolutely loving UFC events since the restart. The lack of shitty audience sounds (wooing, and the worst being chanting “USA” for every white fighter facing a non-white fighter) plus the cage being 25 feet instead of the usual 30 has led to much more exciting fights, especially at the prelims level as the lack of high level fighters from overseas has led to many mismatches. That causes a lot more exciting finishes. 

I hope we never get live audiences back for MMA. The crowd shots are always super cringe. 

11 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I’m absolutely loving UFC events since the restart. The lack of shitty audience sounds (wooing, and the worst being chanting “USA” for every white fighter facing a non-white fighter) plus the cage being 25 feet instead of the usual 30 has led to much more exciting fights, especially at the prelims level as the lack of high level fighters from overseas has led to many mismatches. That causes a lot more exciting finishes. 

I hope we never get live audiences back for MMA. The crowd shots are always super cringe. 

I feel like you're confusing wrestling for MMA? Maybe I completely missed it but I don't remember MMA fans chanting USA like....ever unless maybe it was a USA fighter they were cheering for, and even then I'm not sure that's the case.

• Like 1

The USA thing does happen, but isn’t super common. And in all fairness, I can’t recall it ever happening other than when an American fought a non American, irrespective of ethnicity on either side. No different to the Brazilian vs non Brazilian crowds during South American shows.

And as much as I am enjoying it as it currently is, I personally do miss going along to shows. I’ve missed two Cage Warriors shows since April, and I fully cannot wait until they open these back up. I am also well aware that this makes me a hypocrite. Don’t care.

43 minutes ago, Forky said:

I feel like you're confusing wrestling for MMA? Maybe I completely missed it but I don't remember MMA fans chanting USA like....ever unless maybe it was a USA fighter they were cheering for, and even then I'm not sure that's the case.

It's happened a bunch of times, either a non-American white fighter fighting a fighter that isn't white, or two Americans but because one of them isn't white, they must be foreign scum to MMA fans because most MMA fans are a bunch of shitty assholes. The most recent one I can recall is the Kamaru / Colby fight. 

Also, holy shit, what a D'arce by Amirkhani.

9 hours ago, Benjamin said:

1. They should have got JCVD for the DLC. Fury isn't weird enough like Bruce Lee and Shaq.

2. Did I see a Liger kick in there?!