UFC News and Discussion Thread

According to Nate at the UFC 200 press conference though, he's not fighting on the card unless it's against McGregor. Dana thinks otherwise, and says if Nate wants to fight, they'll find him an opponent. It's likely that the main event of 200 will either be that fight (once Dana gets his head out of his ass), or Jones/DC if DC is healthy by then and if Jones wins tomorrow night.

I happen to think OSP is going to KO the fuck out of Jones, but we'll see. Can't help but root for the Tennessee boy. And I hate Jon Jones.

• Like 1

No prizes for what I think is the best feud in MMA at the moment, from the UFC 200 presser...

Everyone was pretty respectful today with the exception of TUF coaches strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and future opponent Claudia Gadelha.  Jedrzejczyk was asked about the fight the two had that wasn't filmed while on the set of The Ultimate Fighter.  Jedrzejczyk said she couldn't remember.  Gadelha on Wednesday night said that she got the better of the fight.  They had a few words with Jedrzejczyk claiming Gadelha wanted to blow her kisses and she wanted to punch her. Gadelha said that maybe she needed a fist somewhere else.

After OSP got gassed in the third, it was all over. Jones moved circles around him and never looked like he had a single issue with OSP. Which is a shame, because I really wanted to see Jones get his ass handed to him on his big return. I don't see DC winning the rematch either, so we'll probably go back to Jon Jones being dominant.

Speaking of dominant, Mighty Mouse has firmly ruined the entire Flyweight division and then some right now. I don't think there is any flyweight in the world right now that could defeat Johnson without a miracle happening that caused DJ to be less than a 100%.

Also, that first match, christ what a KO!

Pure death

• Like 3

I don't think DJ was 100%, he said he had a root canal during his camp and he thought he had a stomach ulcer too. Dude is still a beast, though.

OSP supposedly broke his arm in the 4th or 5th round, too.

9 minutes ago, tristy said:

I don't think DJ was 100%, he said he had a root canal during his camp and he thought he had a stomach ulcer too. Dude is still a beast, though.

OSP supposedly broke his arm in the 4th or 5th round, too.

And also Whittaker supposedly injured his left hand punching Barbosa's head in.

I really want to see DJ / Cruz 2. DJ hasn't just beaten guys because he's better than them, he's steadily become a better fighter. Watching his first Benavidez fight and watching his last couple of fights, he's improved so much, covers distance so much easier and slices through guys' takedown defense like butter. It's crazy. 

Also, Jon Jones is so fucking fun to watch in the cage. The man is a fucking stud, he can do anything, can't he? Those elbows, those oblique kicks, those beautiful jabs, goddamn. No one uses foot movement better to trap someone against the cage. Give me Cormier / Jones 2 asap, please.

He's fun to watch usually, but he wasn't last night. That fight was boring as fuck. Whether that comes down to OSP not pushing the pace and just trying to survive or Jones having octagon rust, who knows. That entire 25 minutes was the definition of lackluster, in my opinion.

There was nothing boring in that fight to me. It was fun seeing Jones making adjustments over and over again, and it was kind of fun to see OSP try and do the same thing as well, with much less success, of course. Bones was still clean and slick, every move he made felt like he had purpose, even though you could see exactly what he said post-fight about being sluggish, particularly when he was spinning. He usually never telegraphs anything, but it's like he was fighting underwater or something. 

Not every fight of theirs is going to be exciting, but they are definitely interesting and mesmerising to watch. The guys that people complain about being boring are more often than naught the guys that have never been beaten. Look at Jones, DJ, Cruz, GSP. All have years and years of unparalleled success, but have been criticised for being boring when they're just more intelligent than anyone else in their class. That's why they're the best to watch, because you know you're going to get the absolute highest calibre of fighting. 

Yeah I just don't agree with any of that. In regards to Jones, anyway. I'm not some MMA superfan or anything, I casually watch, and to me it was a boring fight. Simple as that. Perhaps my anti-Jones bias is getting in the way of seeing the truth in, well, anything you said in that post. I don't feel like, after watching 25 minutes of that fight, that I got the highest caliber of fighting from Jon Jones (or OSP, actually).

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I don't know that I agree with that. I honestly believe that with a lot of these undefeated fighters they genuinely develop an aura around them and are in the heads of their opponent before the bell rings. Look and Ronda, when Miesha punched her in the head she had the same reaction as Brock Lesnar where she froze up and didn't know what to do, but the opponent is too tentative to capitalise. Quite often with these fighters when they fall they fall hard. 

To me it's like athletics or swimming, a world record will exist for 5 years with nobody close to breaking it, then one person breaks it and within the space of three weeks loads of people are suddenly under the old mark.

I'm not saying that they aren't great fighters and aren't the best in their division, but I do think that part of it is psychological.

Oh, I'm sure part of it is psychological, there are definite instances where the opponent of someone deemed invincible just froze and didn't take an opportunity when presented. That doesn't make every challenger they've faced, though. Plus, a fighter has to be able to win enough to reach that level of aura, and it's only the best that are able to do so. Ronda never really had that unbeatable aura that Jones or GSP had, she was just a little more complex than her division. That's not to say that Jones will never be defeated, he most definitely will, but he takes an approach that is able to give him sustainable dominance over his peers for the foreseeable future. 

Check out the Ultimate Fighter if you can for the elimination fights, some very good fights and one of the most brutal finishes you could wish to see.

Also Claudia Gedelha is actually very attractive, I'd never seen her in a non-fighting capacity.

It probably won't make as much money, but fuck it, I'm happy. The sooner I see that fight the better, I didn't really care about Conor / Diaz II. 

Wonder if they'll keep Nate on that card, though, since he said the only guy he wanted to fight was Conor.