UFC News and Discussion Thread

The only way those mentalities change is if there's an incentive not to train like a madman.

Right now a fighter gets injured and they go ''Ok, we'll replace you and you can fight when you're better.'' And nothing happens, the big names have enough cash to survive those 3 months out of action and those 3 months getting back into fighting shape.

From what I know about pro fighting. When the contract is signed, the fighters get a stipend up front, and that means whatever happens they got money to survive an injury. And whilst that's a good thing, that's also a bad thing, because that means fighters can go ''I will train like a madman, because if I get injured I can live off the up-front money.''

For what it's worth, fighters need to be punished both in their wallet, and professionally for getting injured in training too often. Less title shots, less money for those that essentially train too hard. And do the reverse for fighters that in turn train smart and actually make it to their fights in one piece.

Almost everything you have said is wrong.

Everytime a fighter gets injutred they DO NOT think "Ok, it's no big, I can fight again in xmonths" The cost to them is huge, first of all they are missing out on a payday of several thousand dollars to several hundred thousand dollars, they have already paid their training costs (they pay their training and sparring partners a wage for the length of a training camp) and if they are missing out on a big fight it can cost them recognition, share of gate and/or PPV buy.

Barely any fighters get a signing bonus upfront for their contracts unless they are coming in with at least some fan fare or are already an established name in the UFC, bottom of the card fighters often have to work full time jobs to supplement their fight card income. In this way losing the income, plus the training camp costs already incurred plus their additional cost of living for the months before they next fight can leave some fighters really poor if they get injured, on top of if the injury is even more serious they may have nothing to fall back on for even longer. Their medical costs if employed by the UFC now get covered, but that doesn't mean their living costs do and then they must scrimp to get by, hope that they have a sponsor who will support them, or lean on family and friends.

Even today, I would argue that, barely anyone gets in to the business of MMA to get rich. The fighters do get punished in the wallet for being injured, they do not get paid their turn up fee, they do not recieve any sponsorship fee and if you're not fighting its hard to maintain public and fan interest in you... Turning up to fight gets you paid, in the UFC they give out quite good discretionary bonuses which you rarely hear of, on top of the perfromance of the night bonuses for being an exciting fighter. The incentive is already their to turn up injured and fight anyway, I would argue fighters are being smarter by pulling out of fights when they are injured rather than trying to gut it up and fight through the pain barrier. Even if you train smart, the amount of multi-discipline trainign required, in such a highly competitive and violent sport as MMA, it will turn out that there will be a high proportion of injuries and older injuries will be prone to aggravation.,

I was just hoping he wouldn't come back. I can't think of anyone at this point that I would enjoy seeing him face to be honest. I definitely don't want to see Silva vs Weidman III.

He's facing Nick Diaz in January, as has been known for quite some time.