UFC News and Discussion Thread

It's not that he'll be positive. It's that quitting isn't as easy as 'oh that's banned better just stop it'. You need to taper off using other hormones which are presumably also banned. Even with these hormones you lose energy and it effects your cardiovascular vascular system, presumably worse than would be expected of someone with the same amount of testosterone. So even if he quit cold turkey he's not going to be in fighting shape in May.

Plus he's been on that stuff since, when, the Jon Jones fight? That's like a year and a half. Imagine having all that extra energy and strength and reflexes suddenly taken away from you during training. He'll probably never fight the same way again for a long time, his muscles need to readjust again.

There's now rumblings that Vitor had already made arrangements to be pulled prior to the announcement of TRT being banned. Speculation is that he failed his random test and if you aren't licenced the results aren't released so by pulling out and not seeking a licence the results of the test will never be made public.

But if he pulls his application then the results aren't made public.

Also eurgh Machida. I really don't get the appeal at all. When Anderson goes uber-counterstriker and fucks around trying to get his opponent to strike him he's a tit. Machida does pretty much the same thing without the theatrics and has the internet praising him as the best thing ever. I personally get the same enjoyment out of the average Machida fight that I get out of a typical Jake Shields fight, which is none.

Apparently it's the third event in a row that there hasn't been a submission. Coincidentally it's also been since they introduced the new bonus system, so a lot of people have been blaming that.

I'll probably give it another fight card or two before having a fully formed opinion, as it's not like people haven't been looking for them (thinking about Jacare here). I still think changing it was dumb, though. Why couldn't they just have given two KOTN if there wasn't a submission? Performance of the night is so general, there's no real criteria outlined. Plus it's only been the main card fighters who been getting them, the people who generally are paid more anyway. It just feels a little broken to me.

There are a few factors regarding submissions, firstly being that they are just generally more difficult to pull off than a KO or TKO due to the skill level needed. Then you have to factor in sweat making grips harder, the gloves doing the same, a lot of Jiu-Jitsu submissions are based on the fact that an opponent can't strike you in BJJ but they can in MMA, refs standing fighters up thirty seconds after they've hit the ground regardless of whether the attacking fighter is making progress or not and the general crowd apathy towards ground fighters over sluggers.

Okay, having just done some looking up myself, I find it completely ridiculous. Oliveira had a triangle choke submission at the Machida fight. Basically I have no idea what MMA fans are bitching about, except that they need to bitch about something. Fucking ridiculous.

I still disagree with the Performance Of The Night format, though. While it's true that KOTN and SOTN didn't exactly have a set criteria itself (except that it had to be a KO or a sub), at least it was something. Performance Of The Night just feels like 'Whatever Dana likes'.

Pro wrestling scribe and sometime MMA journalist Dave Meltzer is reporting what could be a massive bombshell of a fight being target by the UFC. Joe Rogan recently has been discussing a “huge” fight he can’t talk about as Ronda Rousey’s next opponent… Meltzer is reporting that Gina Carano vs. Ronda Rousey is that fight.

One-sided destruction? Yes. Biggest drawing fight of the year? Quite possibly...

They're feeding Erick Silva to Matt Brown.

Uh, yeah, that's just a typo :shifty:

EDIT: Also, that's just Meltzer just speculating. It could just as well be Holly Holm (though she has a fight in May) or something. Everyone's basing this on Joe Rogan.

Edited by Benkid