UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'm so sorry, Srar.

Jesus, was Herb having an off day or what. Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Rogan on more than one occasion, but yeah, that Pyle fight and the main event really was kinda of messy in terms of stoppage. The main event less so, but I felt that McMann could have been given more time.

I agree with both stoppages were either late or early, but what do you expect when you have a commentator publicly trashing a referee's decision to their viewing audience? In no other sport would a commentator be allowed to openly question a referee's judgement to the extent of what Rogan has said about Herb Dean at both UFC 169 and 170 without suffering some sort of repercussion, but because it's Rogan he seems to just be allowed to say anything he wants.

Thankfully he didn't drag Dean in for an interview to explain his decision like he did with Mario Yamasaki in the most embarrassing moment of MMA history.

Also I'm pretty sure that they've said that cards from the UK will be on BT Sport, not exclusive to Fight Pass.

EDIT - from BT Sport's website:

Check your TV listings during the week of the event for full timings

CONFIRMED UFC EVENTS IN 2014

Sat Feb 15 - UFC Fight Night: Machida v Mousasi - Jaragua do Sul, Brazil

Sat Feb 22 - UFC 170: Rousey v McMann - Las Vegas, USA

Sat Mar 8 - UFC Fight Night London: Gustafsson v Manuwa - London, England

I agree with both stoppages were either late or early, but what do you expect when you have a commentator publicly trashing a referee's decision to their viewing audience? In no other sport would a commentator be allowed to openly question a referee's judgement to the extent of what Rogan has said about Herb Dean at both UFC 169 and 170 without suffering some sort of repercussion, but because it's Rogan he seems to just be allowed to say anything he wants.

Thankfully he didn't drag Dean in for an interview to explain his decision like he did with Mario Yamasaki in the most embarrassing moment of MMA history.

Also I'm pretty sure that they've said that cards from the UK will be on BT Sport, not exclusive to Fight Pass.

EDIT - from BT Sport's website:

Check your TV listings during the week of the event for full timings

CONFIRMED UFC EVENTS IN 2014

Sat Feb 15 - UFC Fight Night: Machida v Mousasi - Jaragua do Sul, Brazil

Sat Feb 22 - UFC 170: Rousey v McMann - Las Vegas, USA

Sat Mar 8 - UFC Fight Night London: Gustafsson v Manuwa - London, England

Would be great if HeadCheese was from the UK.

• Like 1

What?! It literally happens all the time in sports, I watch football (both kinds), Rugby, Cricket, Boxing, pretty much anything and if officials get it wrong they get hammered by commentators, pundits, experts, whoever they have in the studio/commentary position, its their right and their job, Joe saying it is fine by me as a commentator he can comment on bad technique in the cage, be it fighter, cornerman or referee. Absolutely ridiculous comment you've made there. Dana saying it shouldn't be allowed mind.

But honestly I thought the McMann call was fine, though the Waldberger one was a bit late. For me McMann was not defending here self when she dropped, she was on all fours, not facing the fight, I would rather he stopped the fight than somebody get punched in their face when a stop is the right call, top reffing in that instance from Herb Dean

Decent night of fights.

In regards to trashing the refs... it happens in almost every major sport. It's fine. It's just another way of holding officials accountable for their mistakes.

Go to any hockey game and you'll hear a hefty percentage of fans yelling at the refs (justified or not). Watch a broadcast, and you'll hear the announcers question a lot of calls.

Having watched it several times, I'm leaning towards it being the right call now. Getting hit in the liver is no fun, I've been hit in the stomach and it's horrible, can only imagine what a liver shot feels like.

EDIT: Also, UFC has re-signed Melendez and he and Pettis are coaching TUF20. Feel terrible for TJ Grant.

Edited by Benkid

Kimo?

Oh and Eddie, re Gilbert Melendez:

“It’s a tough thing to do, but I never wanted to walk away,” Melendez said. “I never wanted to leave the UFC. It’s the best organization in the world, has the best fighters in the world, it’s where I wanted to be, but I had to put that aside to think about my family and my future. …I had to weigh it out and I had to explore my options. I got to a point where I had a good plan for my future, and I just had to hope that the UFC would come along with me so I could get to that point and still be with them.”

He is a terrible guy for not bowing to the UFC's every whim to do the best for his family, his management are the wurst, etc, etc, etc... :P