UFC News and Discussion Thread

Part of me thinks Jones might lead to an exodus from 205 as some of the top names drop down to 185 for both the opportunity of a fight with Silva and the opportunity to be the person to dethrone Silva. Evans was top of my list, and if he loses to Jones I don't see him staying in the LHW division. I could see Jones dropping the title in his first defense, like GSP did, only to regain it and then hold it for a very long time.

So strange though, 2 years ago it seemed to basically all of us that Lyoto Machida was going to be the guy dominating LHW for years to come. Now we've all moved onto Bones.

As usual I am gonna have to ask the question, where does Jim Miller fit in to this? The guy is a fucking saint waiting for that fight where he will be next in line

Meltzer said during his recap of the show on Observer Radio that he is probably going to get the shot if Pettis loses to Guida. If Pettis wins, Miller would probably have another fight and if he wins that then would get the shot.

Also, Dana White said they are doing the Primetime show for GSP/Shields.

Guest mr. potato head

There's far too many plausible contenders at 155, really. I think Guida deserves a shot if he beats Pettis (that'll be four wins in a row, over decent-to-title-contention guys), and he's certainly popular enough to draw decently.

The problem with Miller is that all the other contenders are booked...you either have to pull somebody out of a fight or put him against Edson Barboza, which doesn't really do anything for him. Guida/Pettis isn't until June, so you're looking at Miller basically needing a summer fight just to keep his name out there. Maybe if Donald Cerrone beats Mac Danzig, do Cerrone/Miller for whoever's champ out of Edgar/Maynard/Guida/Pettis? And match up the Guillard/Roller winner with the Wiman/Siver winner for the shot after that?

There's far too many plausible contenders at 155, really. I think Guida deserves a shot if he beats Pettis (that'll be four wins in a row, over decent-to-title-contention guys), and he's certainly popular enough to draw decently.

The problem with Miller is that all the other contenders are booked...you either have to pull somebody out of a fight or put him against Edson Barboza, which doesn't really do anything for him. Guida/Pettis isn't until June, so you're looking at Miller basically needing a summer fight just to keep his name out there. Maybe if Donald Cerrone beats Mac Danzig, do Cerrone/Miller for whoever's champ out of Edgar/Maynard/Guida/Pettis? And match up the Guillard/Roller winner with the Wiman/Siver winner for the shot after that?

What about Miller taking on Ben Henderson? Would be a hell of a fight.

Would be a fun little fight to see yeh, depending on if Ben can get past Bocek.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miller/Sherk sometime in the summer and if Miller gets the win then he'll get a title shot after the winner of Pettis/Guida getting the 1st shot.

Also it looks like Bader will fight Tito at UFC 132 according to MMAJunkie

I'm sure that's the plan, get Bader back on track and maybe retire Tito in the process.

I don't really see the point though. What does a win over Tito even do anymore? Add that to the fact that there's always that small chance that Tito somehow pulls off a win which would hurt Bader as much as any loss possibly could. Just seems like a pointless fight really, apart from seeing Tito getting his face smashed in of course, which is always fun.

It doesn't mean much to use but I know a lot of casual fans and if I asked them who Tito Ortiz was they'd know but if I asked them about Bader they would have no idea. It's a pretty safe fight and makes Bader a bit more of a draw to casual fans so it's not a horrible start. Who else would you rather see him up against in his first fight after the loss to Jones?

It doesn't mean much to use but I know a lot of casual fans and if I asked them who Tito Ortiz was they'd know but if I asked them about Bader they would have no idea. It's a pretty safe fight and makes Bader a bit more of a draw to casual fans so it's not a horrible start. Who else would you rather see him up against in his first fight after the loss to Jones?

Stephan Bonnar, Vermola, Nedkov, someone along those lines, I only really want Tito facing other people who can draw with him, i.e. a Franklin, Griffin, etc... type I feel he is a waste on "Up and comers" as quite rightly pointed out he doesn't offer much of a rub should they defeat as to be honest most people would expect him to lose.

I will follow this with the same kind of sentiments for Brandon Schaub's win against Crop Cop in that, it didn't do much for me as I feel Cro Cop is extremely beatable these days in a similar kind of vein to Ortiz.

Guest mr. potato head

Have to disagree with you there Rich. UFC's been marketing their 205 division with a clear distinction between the guys who are title contenders and the guys who they want you to think are title contenders. Any fight that actually mixes the two groups - as this one does - is great in my books, because it might convince the more casual fans that Bader really is worth their time more than Tito.

This is a good way to fix the problem of "getting Bader over". A loss would hurt him with the serious fans, but the casual fans won't pay much attention to it. If Bader wins he becomes a lot more marketable. There's a lot of folks who are more on Bader's level in terms of skill, but Tito is a legend and the benefit from this is like the benefit from fighting someone like Chuck or Randy.