UFC News and Discussion Thread

The reason guys are getting lousy payouts while the gate is going up is simple. Contracts. Hughes' contract was probably a certain amount of fight deal signed at the rate before UFC was getting the huge buy rates and he simply has to play it out before resigning and making more money.

Guest Takayamanofear

That’s not necessary true if I remember right. I think they get drug tested for title fights but until they get a title fight they are not tested. IIRC, thats why Barnett and Sylvia got caught.

The problem with Fujita coming over both sides are very likely not to look well in this one. Fujita is not even in PRIDE's top 5. The problem I see is that he is a bad match up for Arvloski, Vera and Sylvia. If Fujita defeats one of those two then the UFC’s heavyweight division really looks worse than it is. Monson is the best match up on Paper while Fujita is known as a wrestler he is not particularly dangerous on the ground. The only problem is with putting him against Monson or Mir is that you risk a boring fight.

Silva Liddell will be good tough to pick a winner, I think it would be bad for UFC if Bablu beats Liddell. That would effectevly ruin the grudge match. I also find it funny that Baroni who was built up as a UFC Badass character in PRIDE is now going be a Pride fighter in the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...

All news credit of MMANews.com

UFC 61 Almost Breaks All-Time Live Gate Record

UFC 61 "Bitter Rivals" on July 8th from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada came very close to breaking the all time live gate record for the UFC.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently released the figures, which were as follows:

9,999 tickets sold, 1,168 comp tickets for a total of 11,167 fans in attendance producing a live gate of $3,350,775.

The current record, which still stands, is from the UFC 57 "Liddell vs. Couture III" event from February 4th of this year which produced a live gate of $3,382,400.

We should have early estimates on the UFC 61 pay-per view buyrate in the coming days. Keep an eye out for that.

I really like Diego Sanchez. Even though his fight against Florian at the finale for TUF Season 1 was pretty dull, Diego has proven to be a great talent. He is well rounded and just entertaining. Karo is just pure skill too, as you said his Judo Throws are awesome. They come from no where, just WHAM!, he takes you down.

It's a toss up to me, I think both guys have a good shot at winning.

Guest Takayamanofear

WFA was a decent event, Mayhem Miller, Rampage were awesome. I disagree with the people that said that this Lyoto would have gotten killed by Franklin. Lyoto fought a different style, he is kind of a tough puzzle to crack. He is a great puncher and it look like White was almost afraid of getting countered so he back off. On the ground and standing Lyoto looked a lot better that White. Thing about Lyoto is he is a very defensive and does not like to make a mistake.

Salavarry and Santore was a great fight, The Bas fight was classic, the big guy could’t get knocked out by much so El Guapo made it so he couldn’t dance by taking out the legs.

Rampage Linland was a entertaining Linland actually do a good job of being entertaining. For its first show WFA was a good show, they need to get some more talent. I would suggest talking to K-1 or something of that effect for a part exchange deal.

Also Minowa is hugely over in Japan, him fighting all these good people does not hurt. His entrance and music is pretty awesome to. He does this fist pump thing to get the crowd into it.

I like Diego as well, he doesn't get respect from a lot of people. But no matter how you put it, he's undefeated and always gives it all he's got. This fight vs. Karo is something I'm looking forward too, maybe more than Chuck/Babalu 2, and it's rumored that the winner will face Penn in October.

I saw a thread on Sherdog with some guy claiming he saw Brock Lesner training at Militech this week. Guy seemed legit, and was pretty informal so I found no reason not to believe him. If true, great choice by Brock. MFS is one of the top tier camps in MMA.

I wanna see Brock fight someone for some reason. Maybe it's just because I want to see someone beat the shit outta him for getting that stupid chest tattoo.

body042.jpg

Just thought I would throw that in there.

Edited by Numbahs

A bit OT EBG, but given the current problems with DSE/PRIDE (and their near closure), do you think UFC will go all out, and try and take some of the strong talent that the group has over in Japan?

Given that Sakuraba, who was basically the head figure of PRIDE's Japanese division (and possibly their biggest name) made the jump to K-1, do you think other fighters will be looking for other places to work, and do you think UFC is a viable option for them?

The thing I am most saddened about, was the whole Tamura/Sakuraba ordeal. DSE promoted the U-STYLE Axis show last year in hopes it would lead to a Tamura/Sakuraba fight inside the U-STYLE ring, and also the PRIDE ring. Now that match will never be realised, even though it would be major money for whomever was able to run it.

P.S. UWF-i pwned everything (except New Japan it seems :S)

A bit OT EBG, but given the current problems with DSE/PRIDE (and their near closure), do you think UFC will go all out, and try and take some of the strong talent that the group has over in Japan?

Given that Sakuraba, who was basically the head figure of PRIDE's Japanese division (and possibly their biggest name) made the jump to K-1, do you think other fighters will be looking for other places to work, and do you think UFC is a viable option for them?

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Takayamanofear

To add to ETBG’s response, PRIDE deals in yearly contracts common in Japan. Basically every year after the New Years eve show you hear talks of fighters leaving to K-1. Last year Fedor was the big one, he didn’t sign till late because he was hurt and he also wanted to talk to K-1 to up his price for PRIDE. K-1 is the biggest Martial Arts organization in Japan. They just have never put together quite a solid MMA Products and since its in Japan. K-1’s MMA is very much Japanese and Korean based. If PRIDE were to fold people like Minowa, Gomi etc the Japanese and Korean Pride fighters would be welcome in K-1.

The main stars of PRIDE are not as well known has most of the stars of UFC in the United States. The Sherdogers and Undergrounders know the Pride fighters and swear on the bible about them but the crowd that goes to the UFC shows are marks. (To use a wrestling terminology) They would see Fedor and would have no clue he is it would take a lot of build up for the crowd to accept Fedor. Kharatonov, BTT, Chute Box, Fedor and a couple others might get offers. The very interesting ones would be Cro Cop or Hunt, with no competition would they welcome those to back or would they say go make second rate money.

To add to ETBG’s response, PRIDE deals in yearly contracts common in Japan. Basically every year after the New Years eve show you hear talks of fighters leaving to K-1. Last year Fedor was the big one, he didn’t sign till late because he was hurt and he also wanted to talk to K-1 to up his price for PRIDE. K-1 is the biggest Martial Arts organization in Japan. They just have never put together quite a solid MMA Products and since its in Japan. K-1’s MMA is very much Japanese and Korean based. If PRIDE were to fold people like Minowa, Gomi etc the Japanese and Korean Pride fighters would be welcome in K-1.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

As for Sakuraba/Tamura... It was in the works for a while, but it was mostly Sakuraba who wanted Tamura. Sakuraba called out Tamura a few times, but it really seemed like Tamura wanted nothing to do with it all, as it was Tamura having no part in their purposed fights for whatever reason.

Sakuraba basically jumped ship from the UWF-i when PRIDE was first getting off the ground, while Tamura stayed. Tamura then headed off to RINGS, but later ended up in PRIDE anyway for a couple of shots.

Tamura was never really into the whole real shoot style, it seemed, but then again, he did knock out Takada :D

The whole U-STYLE Axis thing was just one big mess though. DSE fronted the money for it, but their biggest problem was, DSE didn't promote the show AT ALL. When they drew an abysmal 3000 fans (with a really nice main event of Tamura/Barnett), I think they just pulled the plug, and we haven't had U-STYLE since. Maybe thats why Tamura refused to do the games with Sakuraba, because DSE basically shafted him and his promotion.