UFC News and Discussion Thread

Oh yeah I agree, if the offence is enough to cause a disqualification, then Yan should lose the title. I suppose you could make the argument that the belt should be vacated, but personally I have no issue with the belt changing hands.

If anyone missed them, the Fight Pass prelims were quality last night. Some of the best ones we’ve had for a while.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MadJack said:

I don't know if the rule is that stupid - gotta take the belt off Yan else what incentive is there for any champion to abide by the rules ever again?

But then how will they get enough heel heat to lead to the No DQ rematch?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forky said:

Joe kept saying he heard the corner giving him bad advice there. The fighter is responsible for what he does, but if that's the case then he might want to fire someone.

Seems like a whole comedy of errors. Yan's says his cornerman told him to do it, but surely he has to know better than it? And the ref then taking 3 minutes to make a decision and asking Sterling, whilst he's still on the floor and the doctor is in the Octagon telling him "You should not get up" if he wants to continue. It's maddening.

3 hours ago, MadJack said:

Seems like a whole comedy of errors. Yan's says his cornerman told him to do it, but surely he has to know better than it? And the ref then taking 3 minutes to make a decision and asking Sterling, whilst he's still on the floor and the doctor is in the Octagon telling him "You should not get up" if he wants to continue. It's maddening.

The only thing that I could think is that he couldn't tell that he was down or not, which is why he listened to his corner. Assuming they had a better angle of it than what he did. Doesn't excuse it because like I said, the fighter needs to be aware and if he feels like the opponent is down then don't risk it, especially in a title fight.

There should never have been a question on whether he wanted to continue. It was clear that he was not fit to continue and it should have been called immediately. I've said it about guys like this before. You have to save them from themselves and that is what the ref is there to do. It should have been an immediate stoppage and disqualification because it couldn't get more illegal than that.

Khabib has officially vacated the UFC Lightweight Championship, Michael Chandler versus Do Bronx is set for the vacant belt in May. Should be Oliveira versus Poirier, but I don't fault Dustin at all for getting that sweet, sweet trilogy money. If ever a dude deserves the big money fight payday, it's him. 

Crazy how fortunate the timing of Chandler's exit from Bellator is as well. 

Oh, and Sandhagen versus TJ Dillashaw is set in May as well, because fucking awesome fights in my birthday month is appropriate. 

• 2 weeks later...

@DavidMarrio your boy Paddy Pimblett has signed for the UFC. Guy was a prick back in the day, didn't handle his title loss well - but has kind of mellowed recently to be fair to him. Still don't know how far he can go in the sport, like, he's either won in dominating fashion, or been out grappled by better wrestlers. Still, one to watch for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

@DavidMarrio your boy Paddy Pimblett has signed for the UFC. Guy was a prick back in the day, didn't handle his title loss well - but has kind of mellowed recently to be fair to him. Still don't know how far he can go in the sport, like, he's either won in dominating fashion, or been out grappled by better wrestlers. Still, one to watch for sure. 

I think he's got the problem of tribalism. Which sounds silly but I think it can bring the worst out of him. The title loss was pretty ugly like both from himself and the crowd from what I remember seeing. 

I hope he does well, nice seeing anyone from the city reaching new heights. I think he'll be entertaining to watch for the very reasons you've pointed out. I reckon he could be a solid fighter to have on the roster but I don't think he'd break into the upper echelon. 

When the world gets to a place of being able to have live events back in the UK, they'd be daft not to do another card with Till and him on it.

It probably means a lot more cards as the year goes on, where we might end up having a card a week, especially if Endeavor decides to try going public again.

On 02/04/2021 at 19:22, damshow said:

I doubt most people who watch MMA will notice a change but like a lot of the business moves of the last few years I doubt it's particularly good for all but the very top fighters.

Does it, really? Like how JBJ is calling for more money right now, but is he going to get the money he wants when every other top fighter is still willing to fight for about the same money they were making previously? 

On 05/04/2021 at 05:21, Benjamin said:

It probably means a lot more cards as the year goes on, where we might end up having a card a week, especially if Endeavor decides to try going public again.

Isn't that pretty much what we get anyway? I feel like this past weekend was the first weekend without a card in a long ass time. It's one of the things that makes it hard to keep up with the UFC. They have so many cards but not enough star power that makes you go "I really need to see this card!"

13 hours ago, Benjamin said:

ONE on TNT 1 Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Too much Escape From Tarkov and too little training....also apparently knees to the head of a downed opponent are legal in OneFC? 

7 hours ago, Forky said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Too much Escape From Tarkov and too little training....also apparently knees to the head of a downed opponent are legal in OneFC? 

Spoiler

Yeah, since they're based in Singapore and run events around Asia mostly they aren't regulated by any government commission or association, thus can basically create their own ruleset. They also judge fights as a whole instead of round by round, which I prefer, to be honest. It was a fun card, sucks that the Alvarez / Lapicus fight got stopped, though I feel that should be a no contest instead of a DQ. Looked very unintentional to me. 

• 3 weeks later...