UFC News and Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Vince Russo said:

How many of them bitched about being asked to undertake enhanced drug testing for a fight and ultimately refused to do so? How many of them did that and then, in their first fight in an era of more rigorous drug testing, look and fight like they were a completely different fighter?

Again, and let me make it clear so that people don't continue to misunderstand, if Hendricks had not done any of that, I would be more than happy to put his performance down as being one of those things that can happen to everyone. But he did kick up a fuss and refuse enhanced drug testing and he did join the ranks of fighters to look and fight different in the era of USADA testing. You can give him the benefit of the doubt if you want. I'm just stating that I'm raising an eyebrow at how things went down and his history.

Johny made a fuss about wanting to take independent drug testing for the GSP fight because GSP asked VADA to do it, who he was a spokesperson for. If I was Johny Hendricks and was going into a title fight, with huge implications on my career, legacy in the sport as well as my bank account, I would be extremely hesitant about including an organization that my opponent was a spokesperson for.

Also, tons of fighters have looked and fought completely different from their previous fight, Hendricks hadn't fought in almost a year and the last time he came to fight week, he had to go to the hospital because he hadn't planned his weight cut properly. Why can't that be the reason he looks different? Why can't his changing camps be the reason he fought differently? Why can't Stephen Thompson improving his wrestling defense skills due to the hours he put in with Weidman and the fact that he's a wizard on the feet be the reason Hendricks got his ass handed to him? 

You can say all you're doing is raising your eyebrows or whatever, but you're basically accusing someone of cheating with zero evidence to prove it. 

26 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Johny made a fuss about wanting to take independent drug testing for the GSP fight because GSP asked VADA to do it, who he was a spokesperson for. If I was Johny Hendricks and was going into a title fight, with huge implications on my career, legacy in the sport as well as my bank account, I would be extremely hesitant about including an organization that my opponent was a spokesperson for.

Also, tons of fighters have looked and fought completely different from their previous fight, Hendricks hadn't fought in almost a year and the last time he came to fight week, he had to go to the hospital because he hadn't planned his weight cut properly. Why can't that be the reason he looks different? Why can't his changing camps be the reason he fought differently? Why can't Stephen Thompson improving his wrestling defense skills due to the hours he put in with Weidman and the fact that he's a wizard on the feet be the reason Hendricks got his ass handed to him? 

You can say all you're doing is raising your eyebrows or whatever, but you're basically accusing someone of cheating with zero evidence to prove it. 

Pfffft, just repeating what I said <_< 

• Like 1

Christ, only 44 too. Surely there's something more to his death than simple pneumonia, athletic people don't just kick the bucket before their mid-forties.
He wasn't the best MMA fighter around, but he's one of those early 00s names that stand out because he was a blast to watch and every fight was exciting and awesome.

RIP, 'Monster'

5 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Christ, only 44 too. Surely there's something more to his death than simple pneumonia, athletic people don't just kick the bucket before their mid-forties.
He wasn't the best MMA fighter around, but he's one of those early 00s names that stand out because he was a blast to watch and every fight was exciting and awesome.

RIP, 'Monster'

Judging by what I have heard and read over the years he did have some drug and/or steroids issues in the past.

Also, athletic people DO kick the bucket in the 40's, they push their bodies hard and as a result have much more wear and tear than a normal person.

UFC Fight Pass has added kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu to its growing collection of live events available to stream on its subscription service. In an official press release on Thursday, UFC Senior Vice-President and Fight Pass General Manager Eric Winter confirmed deals with GLORY kickboxing and the Eddie Bravo Invitational.

"We are proud to announce our new partnerships with the GLORY kickboxing and EBI Brazilian jiu-jitsu organizations. This is a huge development for FIGHT PASS. We haven't just added some kickboxing and some BJJ to FIGHT PASS - we partnered with leaders in both sports. GLORY has established itself as the pinnacle of world kickboxing while EBI leads the way in exciting, fast-paced submission grappling. Both of these organizations are tremendous additions to FIGHT PASS."

It's worth noting that only the GLORY SuperFight Series will be on Fight Pass, as the promotion still has a television arrangement with ESPN for the main card. The first GLORY SuperFight Series event will air on February 26th in Chicago, with Joe Schilling and Mike Lemaire as the feature bout. GLORY's entire fight library will also be accessible on Fight Pass.

As for the Eddie Bravo Invitational, their next event is slated for April 24th in Los Angeles. Per the press release, "there will be five live EBI events on FIGHT PASS in 2016, and previous EBI action will available on FIGHT PASS immediately." Several of the world's top BJJ competitors have competed at EBI, including Garry Tonon, who has been crowned tournament champion at both welterweight and lightweight. In the last event, UFC bantamweight Rani Yahya reached the quarterfinals of the WW tournament, which had a $20,000 grand prize.

Last but certainly not least,  "UFC FIGHT PASS also acquired the rights to the world's definitive kickboxing library. Beginning immediately, FIGHT PASS will upload over 2000 hours of elite striking action including the 27-event GLORY archive, seven major events from the It's Showtime library and over 100 events from the iconic K-1 organization that featured athletes like Mark Hunt, Mirko Cro Cop and Alistair Overeem."

So if you ever wanted to relive the great K-1 cards from yesteryear, Fight Pass is your home to watch the famed Japanese-based promotion.

It's been a big year for UFC Fight Pass, most notably with the emphasis on higher profile UFC fights on the platform, including Anderson Silva vs. Michael Bisping at the end of this month. These latest acquisitions reach beyond MMA and will certainly interest kickboxing and grappling fans alike.

Yeah there's a difference between optimal health and being a super athlete. Optimal health is light maintaince, low stress and very minimal risk.

Being an athlete is pushing your extremeties, it takes a toll on your vital organs that has to work extra hard to maintain your lifestyle and training. In Kevin Randleman's case, he was a super freak athlete who's heart was probably pumping way more blood to support his body mass and insane cardiovascular abilities. And even with proper maintenance, we're all candles that only have so much wax to burn so while there are older athletes still kicking around, a lot of them either pass away young or have a low quality of life in their elderly stage.

It's sad because I remember playing as him in one of the first UFC games on the PS2 when I first discovered MMA and he was one of those first names I remembered.

BBC Three, you know, the now online TV channel, has signed a deal with UFC to cover shows, predominantly the UK fighters it seems like, but only in vlogs and documentaries instead of the fights themselves. Full press release here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/ufc-bbc-three

• Like 1

So bummed by this. Though, it would be great if they take Conor out, and put this fight on for UFC 200, where it would be Conor attempting history on the biggest stage there is. Holm versus Miesha is still a pretty good main event, IMO.

BTW, this is the 4th time in 8 UFC fights that an opponent of Conor's has pulled out of a fight and he's had to fight a replacement. The man is a beast.

Edgar's injured nursing an injury, apparently Cerrone and Nate Diaz are on the shortlist along with a couple other names.